Author Topic: 20Mg Fluoxetine  (Read 7438 times)

Ally

• Karma Group
20Mg Fluoxetine
« on: November 29, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
So. I have been on these for about a month now and other than taking the edge off my current chemical imbalance, they have really not made much of a difference.

I'm still having bad days to the point where I don't want to get up in the morning or even wake up at times.
But I make myself get up and basically go through the motions of every day life.

Just made an appointment to go back to the doc tomorrow and probably get my meds reviewed.

Bad times

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: 20Mg Fluoxetine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50:36 AM »
sometimes they do take a bit longer but its very wise to go back to your doctor to tell him that you dont feel any improvement.

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
Thanks Zaf.
I'm sure that this happened the last time and that is why I was prescribed the 50Mg Trazodone.

Will see what the experts say tomorrow

^&^

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »
Ally
You're still on relatively low doses of Fluoxetine and Trazadome. The maximum of Fluoxetine is 60 mg, the maximum for Trazadone is 300 mg in the community and 600mg in hospital, although my GP gave me 600 mg when I was still out and about. There is plenty of room for your GP to increase both. Indeed you're not even on an anti-depressant dose of Trazodone - the recommended starting dose is 150mg in depression 75 mg in anxiety. Plenty of people don't respond to a starting dose, I wouldn't give up on Fluoxetine yet
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

lou

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »
yes i would agree 20mg is a low dose go back to your doc, i'm sure they will probably increase it. hope you get some benefits soon. x

em89

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:17 PM »
hi.
ive been fluoxetine since january...i started out on citalopram but only managed a day because it was awful, just horrible, i felt like a zombie. with fluoxetine i had little side effects- just had a bit of nausea for about an hour but it was fine.

id say fluoxetine kicked in properly after about 6 weeks and by 8 weeks i was feeling normal again. the doctor might advise you to stick with it, or he/she mightve started you on a low dose of 20mg to get you used to the meds and then wish to increase it to 40mg.

good luck x

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »
Thanks for the positive words everyone. They really are appreciated  &*(

The doc advised that the Fluoxetine can take take up to 6 to 8 weeks to work.... the supply I have takes me up to christmas yay
He did give me another prescription to get me through christmas and new year. So I'll stick with it for now and see how the next month or so goes.

I'll just have to force myself to continue to go through the daily motions that everyone expects.

Take care y'all

A.
xxx

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
Hey everyone.... hope you all had a good christmas and are looking forward to the new year x

That is me been on 20mg fluoxetine for about 8 weeks now, and to be honest, I and still not feeling any better.
Over christmas, I honestly just went through the motions, thanking everyone for gifts, smiling when I was supposed to, but I could honestly have just gone to bed and bypassed the whole thing.

I know that things are pretty bad at the moment as a few days ago, I googled "fluoxetine overdose"
 - Luckily the results showed that an overdose of these meds are rarely, if ever fatal

I just don't know what to do and I am running out of energy to deal with this.
I know that I NEED to go back to the doctor and probably increase either the dosage or change meds.

Hopefully, things won't get bad enough that I do anything silly.... but sometimes I feel it would be easier.

Hugs xx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
If there is no improvement in 8 weeks you need to go back to see your GP now, it may be you need a higher dose or a different antidepressent, the doctor wont know you are still struggling unless you tell him xx

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 08:31:50 AM »
Hi Zaf
Thanks for your reply.

I am going to go back to the doc to get this sorted.
I really can't keep this up.... it is physically and mentally exhausting and I don't know how much longer I can keep this up.

Hope you had a good christmas xx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi Ally

Do stress to your doctor how bad you feel.

Yes thanks xx

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 01:34:40 PM »
I've had my meds changed to 5mg Escitalopram.

Judging by the name, this would appear to be a derivative of Citalopram, which make me nauseous.
But, as this would appear to be a bit different, I'll give it a go and if I still feel sick because of it, I'll go back to the doc and get it changed to something else.

xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »
Hi Ally, what I can remember whilst browsing the  interbet about med I think it is.  My meds (Duloxetine) also make me feel sick, this does wear off as you get used to the meds.  I take a dry biscuit out with me and have them at home, it does seem to help.  Also eating small extra meals is advised with my medication.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sharon x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Ally

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
Hi Sharon,
Thanks for that. I did read that when I googled Escitalopram.

I usually take my meds when I go to bed at night, and the last time I took citalopram, the nausea actually stopped me from getting any sleep.

I'll bear with them and see how I get on though

xx

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
Have you thought of taking them in the morning?  Just a thought, I take mine with my breakfast.  I do still feel sick later but just nibble a biscuit to help.

Sharon x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.