Author Topic: Mirtazapine  (Read 4627 times)

GRM

• Karma Group
Mirtazapine
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »
Hello, this is the first time i've registered for a forum that directly deals with this huge part of my life, in many ways I'm seeing this as a somewhat positive step.  But I have a couple of questions about Mirtazapine, and other people's opinions/knowledge of it that may help.

I've been on the stuff for about 4-5 months or so now, perhaps a bit longer, starting on 15, but now on 45mg.  I used to take it everyday, til around one day a week and a half ago, i just decided to stop.  I didn't really know what it was doing, I still had horrendously bad days, and some less bad days, yet I was taking these pills for a depression I had no idea whether they were even having the slightest affect.  So yeah, I decided to just stop taking them, just completely and honestly, I can't really feel too much difference in regards to my moods, just more of the same, not really better not really worse.  The only real difference I can clearly make out however, is I'm beginning to have headaches and nausea.  I'm assuming this is the withdrawals?  I'm half tempted to re-start taking them solely to get rid of these symptoms but i'm not sure whether considering it's been over a week, whether my body will have to go through the whole month and a half re-adjustment thing when I first went on it. 

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Munchroom

• Karma Group
Re: Mirtazapine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »
Hi GRM - I would recommend you get back to your doctor pronto! One of the things they advise with all anti-depressants is that you do not suddenly stop taking them. The best thing would be to explain to your GP that you didnt feel they were really helping. Even if you couldn't see any effects in yourself, they were still altering the chemicals in your brain, hence why you had to gradually increase the dose... it works both ways.

I've been on Mitrazapine and I didn't stay on them for long because they made me eat everything in sight!  :-X But I am currently coming off of Venlafaxine which is done over months! It sounds like you are having some withdrawal effects but personally I wouldnt just start taking them again without first speaking to your doctor. Good luck x
This too shall pass.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »
The manufacturers of Mirtazapine do acknowledge that there can be withdrawal symptoms if you stop suddenly. They list
dizziness, agitation, anxiety, headache and nausea. So some of the things you are experiencing do fall within their list. If Mirtazepine
wasn't working and you are still depressed isn't that an argument for taking something different. I'd agree with going back to your GP
as a reasonably next step. Coming off an anti-depressant suddenly is rarely a good idea.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

GRM

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
I guess because of a lack of any clear and obvious benefits from taking the pills, I thought that perhaps just cutting them out altogether would be not that eventful.  A part of me was, and still is, kind of convinced that when I'm off the pills, I may feel worse in terms of mood, emotions etc, but atleast I'm being honest with myself.  Another part and something I should have perhaps mentioned in my previous post, is I decided to stop taking them because I thought maybe if I did, I may just get into such a depressive state I would be able to take the final act.  i don't feel any benefits from taking the pills, at most I'm just a bit more "stable".  I took them again last night, and probably will again this night, even though I think deep down I don't really want to.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
You may well get to be suicidal if you stop taking Mirtazapine but that is only because you're severely depressed. There are so many alternative anti-depressants and there is a very good chance that one of them will help you. I'm glad you're on Mirtazapine because it is very safe in overdose. If Mirtazepine isn't doing the trick you need to get back to your GP or psychiatrist quickly and let them know. Keep going. Suicide is a lousy option.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Laura

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
You say that if you are not on them you are being more honest with yourself.
Would you not take antibiotics for the flu? Would you avoid a plaster cast if you broke a bone?
These things are medicine, they are for fixing a problem. They are not really for changing who you are.
I had Prozac when I was first diagnosed and felt like the world was on the other side of a window or something so got my doctor to change my prescription. If you feel that the pills are making you feel like a different person you should tell your doctor. You can see from this forum there are dozens of different types of pills and you just haven't found the one for you yet.
Don't give up on the meds. You deserve to feel better just as someone with an infection or something deserves proper treatment.
Tea please, decaf, with milk and a sweetener.

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
i always say that as well laura. Anti depressents are just like pain killers. I have exepted i am on these for the rest of my life. If i come off them i will be in a world of pain.
I also say they are an aid. like using crutches with a broken leg, without them you can fall on your face.
I take Mirtazapine at night for my sleep terrors. (i dont have them since taking them).
They are also known as my purple hedgehog pills.
Many depression sufferers have the moment of not wanting to take medicines GRM. Mostly because we feel that we shouldnt need to. Or as in my case a few years back because i didnt care any more. To me it was a chance to become in such a state that i would forget all thing. Trouble is it doesnt always work like that and i ended up hurting someone else. (not badly though)  Doctors dont tend to give you them unless you need them.
Yes they dont cure. but they take that little edge off.

hugs and everything xx