Author Topic: Alcohol & medication  (Read 9014 times)

lola_p

• Karma Group
Re: Alcohol & medication
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
I'm doing okay the amitripyline which is suppose to help me sleep isn't working so i'm back to the doctor on thursday so will ask to increse dosage or different tablets.  I've had some wine & have to say there was no effect at all, i was hoping it would act as sedative but it didn't.  How are you doing?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
I think alcohol actually has the opposite effect after an hour or so,  it makes you sleepy to begin with then keeps you awake,  not sure where I heard that though  ::)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »
I'm ok thankyou Depina - having a very very lazy day today!!

Getting a bit nervous about the Halloween party I'm hosting next week  $%$ But trying to make myself remain calm and think positively about it!!

How are you??

xxx
This too shall pass.

Depina

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
Good thank you --- think the extra 10 of Citalopram is working - Hope so anyway !!
Love Di XXXXX

Bexwa

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »
I've drank on Citalopram. I've never noticed any difference really :)
Assume it's a joke and then work backward.

em89

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
It's quite difficult for me to try not to drink whilst on 20mg fluoxetine.
being a student, i feel like im not enjoying myself as much as i could if i dont drink. when i first went on fluoxetine, i hardly drank at all when i went out-maybe just one or two disaronno and cokes, or a glass of wine. then id drink coke. my housemates were perfectly understanding, but i gradually increased the amount of alcohol i was drinking.
now, i probably have say about half a bottle of wine before i go out, then maybe 2 mixers and coke when im out. the next day i can get really, really depressed and down and dont want to do anything. my mums suggested that i cut back down on the drinking again and i know shes right.

i had a bit of a bad episode before the summer break when i drank a whole bottle of wine to myself and had maybe a drink or two when out. i was sick when i got back-which i normally wouldnt be after that much- felt sick for days afterwards and was passing blood when i went to the toilet. it mightve been a coincidence but ive never drank that much with being on fluoxetine again.

Glen53

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
There are different reasons for not drinking when taking meds, so advice varies really.

Most medications can carry the risk of liver damage and drinking alcohol can also cause liver damage. The realism is that the odd drink every now and then is fine, but they have to cover themselves and advise against it.

I think the bottom line is that if you are tempted to drink, do it in moderation, make sure you have regular blood tests if they are recommended and if you notice any negative effects then cut the alcohol out straight away.
Crazy like a fish.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »

I drank ten pints last week whilst on 45 mg mirtazipine and quetiapine. This was clearly childish and dangerous behaviour, respiratory supression and heavy sedation was a real risk.

Sometimes I do these things. I am not sure why I do it, but I am a serial binge drinker of over ten years. I cannot stop, this sounds like a bad attitude, but I have no idea how to stop. It doesn't matter how hard I try, I will do it again and again. I cannot do things in moderation, I am very much a man of extreams.

I have woken up on benches at the side of the road, slept in parks, on beaches, ended up in random hotels, even been taken to hospital a time or two.

I have considered  making a post on here asking for advice on how to stop, but I know I wont follow it.

I am not an alcoholic...just an escape artist.

chilliconcarnage

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:34 PM »
Prior to Christmas I asked the Psychiatric Nurse that I see now and then at the local mental health unit, about drinking alcohol whilst taking Anti depressants. She said that it would take less for me to feel drunk and that was about it, but not to go OTT. So a few days before christmas I had a trial run and had a glass of red wine (Im one 30mg Mirtazapine at night with 5mg Buspirone and 15mg Mirtazapine in the morning with 5mg Buspirone), well I didnt feel any different than I would if I wasnt on any meds. New years eve the folks came over and I had a few drinks, again no problems.

But thats me...other people may react differently. And if it helps im around 15 stone 6'5", so perhaps I can tolerate it more? Either that or ive been lucky??
Yesterday was the past, and anything forward of today is fantasy. Now is all that matters.

Glen53

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
Alcohol can enhance the drowsy side effects of some drugs but for the most part it simply puts more work on your liver. The majority of medications can cause liver damage if taken in large doses or for long periods of time, so they advise against drink to be sure. Its good advice but its not realistic.

At the end of the day if people want to drink then they most likely will. The truth is that most healthy livers can deal with a lot of abuse (not that you should try it!!!) so having a few drinks every now and then on top of meds should be fine. I personally would be careful and limit your intake if you want to drink. My advice to anyone on medication and wanting to drink is have a blood test before you do and make sure they are satisfactory (ask the doc about liver function results) If they are, then be sensible, enjoy in moderation and ask for regular blood tests to keep an eye on things if you cant stay away from a regular social drinking session.  
Crazy like a fish.

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
They did say not so long ago that taking medicone and booze isnt the best plan but really wouldnt make much differance. I think its just a guide line not to over do it.
i mean i had a ton of tequilla shots over yule and all i got was a hangover