Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 44485 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Devotions
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2024, 11:24:00 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/08/14/meditate-on-gods-word-while-you-work?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9wnG7IM8VGFVBM-2XYHDWqM6KuTYsVFMcCwzB9W_ugreQPqgcje1nAGa0Jb-DW6v4Qd9MV9Meysh5eycEgWPunr0kyfQ&_hsmi=268141126&utm_content=268141126&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Meditate on God’s Word While You Work
August 14, 2023
by Glenna Marshall

“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.” Colossians 3:1 (ESV)

Have you ever had one of those extra-busy days when you don’t stop working from the moment you wake up until you go to bed?

I had a day like that recently. And as I turned out the light that night, it dawned on me that I had barely thought about Jesus since my quiet time early that morning. Immersed in my to-do list, I’d gone a full day without praying or thinking about what He might want.  It’s easy to walk away from your designated time of prayer and Bible reading without a backward glance. But I’ve learned there is a way to get through my to-do list and keep my heart and mind close to Jesus.  Meditating on Scripture is a spiritual discipline we can practice throughout the day, even when our hands are busy with urgent tasks. Thinking about God’s Word bridges the gap between our time studying His words and living them out.  The Apostle Paul tells us, “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God” (Colossians 3:1).

If you have believed in Jesus for salvation from your sins, you belong to Him. You are secure in His love, and your life is to be lived through Him and for Him. Every small, seemingly insignificant moment of your day belongs to Jesus. Staying connected to Him throughout the day will help you live your ordinary days with an eternal perspective.  But how can we stay connected to Christ in the middle of laundry, phone calls and deadlines?

Paul tells us: “Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God” (Colossians 3:2-3, ESV).

When we fill our hearts with God’s words, we can live focused on Christ in the here and now. Our to-do lists may be long and necessary, but Jesus is our very life (Colossians 3:4).  To set our minds on what is above, we must fill them to the brim with the good, true words of the Lord, returning to Scripture again and again. Tethering our minds to God’s Word roots us in eternity, anchors our hearts to our forever home with the Lord, and points others to hope in Christ.  One of the most practical ways we can do this is to memorize Scripture. It might seem intimidating, but it is doable and rewarding! Choose a passage of Scripture that turns your heart to God’s character and purposes. Write it out on a notecard, put it where you’ll see it throughout the day, and begin hiding the verses in your heart phrase by phrase. Utilize the moments in your day when your hands are busy but your mind isn’t.  You may have to tackle that to-do list, but you can set your mind on what is above by attaching your work to Scripture memorization whispering God’s Word aloud to yourself over and over as you’re washing dishes, commuting to work, or folding a pile of laundry. Your ordinary moments are opportunities for delighting in God’s Word and staying connected to Him all day long.  Memorizing God’s Word is crucial for shaping how we live our lives here on earth because it changes how we think and respond. As you hide Scripture in your heart, you will become more and more like Jesus, the One who is your very life.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2024, 11:28:43 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/08/15/if-youre-afraid-you-ll-make-the-wrong-decision?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9Y8xCix85EbnbfGUTnf4641xKiPoj_GjNFawerMZ7b4BwOzcr-d6VLZ7oAzo98VrnXKHS4wYsA6RmKfpHGs__6lX61ZA&_hsmi=268142504&utm_content=268142504&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

If You’re Afraid You’ll Make the Wrong Decision
August 15, 2023
by Abby McDonald

“Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'” Isaiah 30:21 (NIV)

We weren’t on the trail for long before we had to make a decision. A fork in the path presented two different options: If we turned to the right, a steep incline of steps and uneven rocks greeted us. But if we stayed left, the incline was more gradual and smooth.  Since my husband and I had dogs and this was our first time hiking the trail together, we chose the easier way without hesitation. Later, we discovered that both paths converged at the top of the mountain, leading to the same vista. No matter which way we had turned at the beginning, we would have reached the same view.  Although I made the hiking choice with confidence, my spiritual life is sometimes the opposite. In life, I face thousands of decisions, and I’m sure you do too. Some of them are minor, and others may be life altering, but each of them requires guidance and intention.  Every now and then, I encounter a major life decision where there are two choices, like the fork in the trail, and I must decide which way to turn. The problem is when both of them appear to be God-led. This happened to me several months ago when I had job opportunities at two companies, both with values I respected.  In situations like this, I often approach God’s will as though I’m taking a multiple-choice test. I think there is one correct answer, and if I don’t choose it, my life will be thrown into turmoil.  But if we look at Scripture, we rarely see God work in this way. Yes, some decisions dishonor God, and sin is always the wrong answer. But when we approach His will like a test, we forget one of the most faith-building gifts He gives us: the ability to make good decisions.  In our key verse, we see God speaking through the prophet Isaiah to the Israelites, who had wandered from Him numerous times:  “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it’” (Isaiah 30:21).

But do you notice something?

The promise doesn’t say God's people would hear from Him only if they turned to the right or only if they turned to the left. It says that in each direction, they would hear God's voice of guidance.  Sometimes we encounter decisions where multiple paths honor God. Each will grow our faith in new ways and cause us to use our God-given gifts. God wants us to seek Him in prayer and make a choice. Either way, He’ll show us the next step He wants us to take.  You may be thinking, I’ve stepped out in faith before, and it didn’t turn out well.  Friend, I get it. The fear of putting ourselves out there again is real. While the outcome is not guaranteed, God does guarantee His continual presence.  After a lot of hesitation and prayer, I finally made the career decision. I looked at my family’s needs, the time required and other factors. Afterward, I felt peace. Even after a challenging first week on the job, I knew I was in my sweet spot, and confidence that could only come from God covered me. Expectant of the future, I haven't looked back.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2024, 06:57:51 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/08/30/the-best-way-to-lighten-your-load?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8bQ_dY7mrgErbY4QgSGL9-vWJ8jesSZ4l4ZUW_2srzpBRcRufF1iIn0HUuTC7T9Nb6XjE0AT2-QxsCKCc0mLRlStx_0A&_hsmi=268663385&utm_content=268663385&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Best Way To Lighten Your Load
August 30, 2023
by Alicia Bruxvoort

“Come to me, all you who are struggling hard and carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 (CEB)

She smiled like a lovestruck teenager the first time she laid eyes on that shimmery pink backpack. “It’s the one I’ve been wishing for!” my kindergartener declared as she excavated it from our pile of school supplies.

On the first day of school, she flung the bag over her shoulders and pranced to the bus stop like a princess. But as time passed, her delight faded.  Finally, the day came when my kindergartner dropped her beloved pink pack on the ground and plopped down beside it. “I can’t carry this anymore,” she whimpered. “It’s too heavy.”

I opened the bag and began to empty every pocket. Oddly, when I handed it back to my daughter, the backpack still felt heavy.  Upon closer inspection, I discovered a hidden pouch near the bottom of the bag. Intended to house wet boots or sweaty gym clothes, the pocket brimmed, instead, with dusty stones.  “I didn’t know I was carrying all that!” my daughter exclaimed when I dumped the rocks onto the floor with a clank.

I soon learned her favorite recess pastime was hunting for “treasure” in the rock beds that lined the playground. While this daily treasure hunt was a benign amusement, the bag’s bursting seams were a quiet admonition. Neither my girl nor her precious pack were crafted for such a heavy load.  From that point on, we developed a new routine. At bedtime, my daughter brought me her backpack and climbed onto my lap then I removed each hidden stone.  The load that had once pushed my girl to tears now propelled her into my arms. Best of all, when she greeted a new day, her cargo no longer eclipsed her capacity.  Of course, children aren’t the only ones who may stumble beneath the weight of an unseen load. We, too, grow weary from the burdens we carry. Left unchecked, our concealed concerns and hidden hurts can deplete our strength and plunder our joy. And like a kindergartner I once knew, we may find it hard to keep pressing on. After all, it’s difficult to embrace the gift of a new day when we’re still laden with the weight of the old one.  That’s why I love the invitation in Matthew 11:28: “Come to me, all you who are struggling hard and carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest.”

With one simple word “come” Jesus reminds us we need not bear the weight of life alone. Just as my daughter climbed on my lap to unload the cargo she carried, we can create daily rhythms that help us shift our burdens to Jesus.  The Bible doesn’t offer a formula for this supernatural exchange, but for me, it involves acknowledging Christ’s presence and articulating my need. Sometimes that looks like telling Jesus my concerns while I drive across town. Other times, it looks like reciting Scripture aloud to shift my focus from the wail of my worry to the hope of God’s Word. Now and then, it even looks like soapy hands raised in surrender as I wash the dishes with worship music blaring and tears streaming silently down my cheeks.  This disencumbering of my heart may look different each day, but it always entails drawing near to Jesus. Because we have a Savior who sees the invisible things we carry. And in His presence, we can trade the load that weighs us down for the love that holds us up.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2024, 03:24:05 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/09/01/the-god-who-comes-to-find-you-when-youre-hiding?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--iI9JWo8Qs2qOO0sTgQv_cywp2cDmjADcPK_4yigsHZFITYsRgewUbhfROLLwPFUcWpgE6gGo-owVGetT5ERUJT6ay2Q&_hsmi=268663391&utm_content=268663391&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The God Who Comes To Find You When You’re Hiding
September 1, 2023
by Elizabeth Laing Thompson

"There [Elijah] came to a cave, where he spent the night. But the LORD said to him, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?'” 1 Kings 19:9 (NLT)

It had been a difficult season, with new crises coming on so fast they rear-ended each other: Anxious kids. Work stress. Relationship drama. I’d been on edge for a while, but a strained conversation with a friend finally pushed me over the edge.  At that point, as a woman who relies on God in times of trouble, I ran from God and went into hiding. I shut down and shut people out, doing everything I could to avoid my problems.  The Holy Spirit nudged me with gentle suggestions, which I batted away:  You could pray.  Or I could eat chocolate.  You could read the Bible.  Or I could escape inside this novel.  You could reach out to a friend.  Or I could reach for a blanket and hide under it.  Maybe you’ve been there. You’re hurting, and you know all the “right” things to do, the emotionally and spiritually healthy choices: pray, read Scripture, invite God and others to support you. But those steps sound tiring, vulnerable and risky, so instead, if you’re anything like me, you retreat into a cave of seclusion.  But you and I aren’t the only believers to attempt the “if I hide in my room with my feelings, maybe they’ll disappear” technique.

Many centuries ago, the mighty prophet Elijah did something similar. After 40 days on the run from an enemy, Elijah felt so overwhelmed he hid in a cave. Not a metaphorical cave an actual, literal cave!  But God didn’t leave Elijah alone. He didn’t wait for Elijah to “get it together” on his own. When Elijah didn’t come to God, God came to Elijah.  “There [Elijah] came to a cave, where he spent the night.

“But the LORD said to him, 'What are you doing here, Elijah?'

“Elijah replied, ‘I have zealously served the LORD God Almighty. But I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.’

“‘Go out and stand before me on the mountain,’ the LORD told him” (1 Kings 19:9-11a, NLT).

Then a great and powerful wind tore through the mountains. After the wind there was an earthquake, after the earthquake came a fire, and after the fire came a gentle whisper.  “And a voice said, ‘What are you doing here, Elijah?’” (1 Kings 19:13b, NLT).

The Lord’s almighty power was announced by wind, earthquake and fire, but when God Himself arrived, He came in the comforting sound of a gentle whisper: soft rain on spring leaves, cool breath on a fevered forehead.  As He did with Elijah, so the Lord seeks us when we’re hiding, calling us out of our caves perhaps through a text from a friend checking on us, perhaps through a Bible verse that keeps coming to mind perhaps through the words you are reading right now.  God is whispering, What are you doing here? He longs to know your heart and hear your hurt.  Once Elijah shared his feelings with God, God gave him some action steps, most of which involved relationship with people who could ease his load (1 Kings 19:15-18). You may still have heart-work ahead processing emotions, inviting support from friends, family or a counselor but responding to God’s call is a key first step. Poking your head out of your cave to share, saying, “This is what I’m feeling and why I’ve been hiding,” is a significant start.

It allows you to receive love and care from God and others. To move toward healing instead of staying stuck in your hurt.  If you’ve been hiding from your problems, I pray you respond to God’s tender call today. You can take His hand and let Him lead you out of your dark cave and into His wondrous light.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2024, 11:35:40 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/09/07/pressing-on-when-you-feel-like-giving-up?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9nTcoqbas1HLnOUfeZ--DcxEX7ZACRF8FtAYurjaMx40PzqCybztAFc03pE3BQN-fgwH7rqdYLsusHhFs5vi2xzFpG9w&_hsmi=270135816&utm_content=270135816&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Pressing On When You Feel Like Giving Up
September 7, 2023
by Sharon Jaynes

“Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!'” Mark 9:24 (NIV)

I had been praying for a family member for over four decades, yet I’d seen little or no progress.  Part of me wanted to give up. Another part of me knew to press on.  If you’ve been praying about something for years and have not seen any hint of an answer, I want to give you a holy hug right now dear sister, I’ve been there. But what I want to tell you is that God is always working behind the scenes in ways we may never know on this side of heaven.  It’s natural to feel discouraged and disheartened when someone we love is facing a challenge and we feel helpless to do anything about it; however, that challenge could be the very detour God uses to draw our loved ones into a deeper relationship with Him. Praying for someone doesn’t mean that person will never struggle. It means we are calling on God to work miraculously even in the struggle.  There may be days, months, even years, when you feel discouraged because of the lack of fruit you see from your prayers. Your prayer might be, God, just give me one glimpse of hope! Show me something to let me know my prayers are really making a difference!  If so, friend, let God's Word remind you of what Jesus says: “My Father has been working until now [He has never ceased working], and I too am working” (John 5:17, AMP).

Our limited vision doesn’t always allow us to see how God is working in our lives, but we must have faith that He is. In fact, it may be in the moments when we sense Him or understand Him the least that He is working the most.  In the Bible, there’s a story about faith that starts with a distraught father whose son was possessed by a demon. The boy suffered greatly, throwing himself in fire and then in water, rolling on the ground, foaming at the mouth, and losing his ability to talk. His father even took the boy to Jesus' disciples for healing, but nothing seemed to work (Mark 9:17-22).  Then one day, the father boldly brought the boy to Jesus and, with desperation surely in his voice, cried, “If you can do anything, take pity on us and help us” (Mark 9:22b, NIV).

And Jesus answered, “Everything is possible for one who believes” (Mark 9:23b, NIV).

Immediately the father cried out, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” (Mark 9:24).

Upon that profession, Jesus healed the man’s son (Mark 9:25-29).  Oh, how this story stirs my heart. Can’t you feel the father’s pain?

How desperate he must have felt every time his child, under the influence of the impure spirit, threw himself into water or fire. Why? he must have asked.

I don’t understand.  Imagine the humiliating stares and the whispers this man and his son may have heard as they walked down the streets. Don’t you know there were probably many days when this dad wanted to give up?

Instead, his faith offers us a beautiful picture of the ultimate act of surrender in parenting: handing our children over to God.  Parenting, and life in general, comes with exhilarating highs and excruciating lows. At times we find ourselves at the end of our mental and emotional resources. Sometimes we feel we’ve done everything humanly possible and don’t know the best action to take. That’s exactly where God wants us to be in a position where we depend not on our own limited strength and ability but on His limitless power and divine sovereignty.  Prayer is an extraordinary, powerful force. So let’s not give up! Keep praying. God is always working. I believe some of our most magnificent moments with God will happen when, in His perfect timing, we get to see the connection between our prayers and His answers.