Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 39114 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Devotions
« on: February 26, 2023, 05:39:50 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/02/04/eternity-changes-everything?_hsmi=201767785&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8u0hrf32f0lQEoY1adv3jBQSsTZMcFiFGG9XNhE-VZxnaCeuq7K_8l7JqSuL3Y82VBy6RFPOFkwEzyl2O8jsJ1zCfPJw#disqus_thread

Eternity Changes Everything
February 4, 2022

by Laura Bailey

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV)

The room overflowed with boxes. Clothes still secure in zipped suitcases assured me this was just a temporary layover. I was jobless and living in my brother's house. I felt like the prodigal sister not exactly the life I'd planned.  My brother graciously reminded me that my visit didn’t come with an expiration date. I could have unpacked in an attempt to settle into my new “home,” but placing my things in drawers and personalizing the room symbolized permanence.  This was only a short-term stop, not my final destination.  Eventually, I jumped back into the workforce, married and moved into what my husband calls our “forever house.” This move meant permanent residence. Yet I still wrestle with wanderlust, a feeling that this house isn't really my home. Drawers and cabinets now hold all of my personal possessions, and family photos hang on walls painted in colors chosen by me. My bold personality resonates throughout our abode, so why do I still feel unsettled?

Maybe you've felt this way:  Whether you’re in between jobs or you land your “dream job,” it's not enough.  Whether you’re in the midst of relational heartbreak or you’re surrounded by family and friends, you still feel something is missing.  Whether you’re struggling to balance your budget or you have all the latest gadgets and a fridge full of food, you still feel unsatisfied.  Why?

Because God didn't create this temporal world to be our one and only dwelling place or to satisfy us fully. In other words, the here and now is not the end.  Reflecting on his very full life, King Solomon noted that the things of this world are “meaningless, a chasing after the wind” (Ecclesiastes 1:14, NIV). For some readers, Ecclesiastes evokes feelings of gloom and doom, but beware of dismissing Solomon’s words as the depressing rant of a frustrated man. Instead, allow them to rouse within you a desire to know God's heart, trust His purpose for creating us and follow His plan for our lives.  Like Solomon, we may find pleasure in financial security, job titles, a beautiful family and home, or other worldly treasures, but they will never sate our longing for more. Anything other than an intimate relationship with our heavenly Father leaves us dissatisfied, discontent and disappointed. The inner void we desperately seek to fill can be filled only by Christ.  Our key verse explains why we feel tension when our perspective shifts from eternal to temporal: “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end” (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

The verses preceding Ecclesiastes 3:11 list different seasons we experience throughout life, with the reminder that God is sovereign over everything in every season of life. God created humans to glorify Him and to enjoy Him forever. However, ever since humans sinned by wanting to be like God, we have chased after every form of worldly pleasure in pursuit of joy that comes only from loving, trusting and obeying our Creator. But we chase to no avail.  We have lost proper perspective. Instead of living as “temporary residents and foreigners” (1 Peter 2:11, NLT), we live, instead, as though this world is our final destination. The enemy seeks to derail us from living an eternity-minded life at every turn; he whispers convincingly, just as he did in the garden of Eden, (Genesis 3:1-5) that we deserve to be happy today, no matter what it costs us tomorrow. He wants us to believe that this life is as good as it gets, and he delights in our pursuit of the next big thing to captivate us. Satan knows that by ignoring the Lord's design for His creation, we miss out on our only source of true peace and lasting contentment.  Child of God, embrace eternal “wanderlust” and keep your spiritual bags packed, ready to follow Christ. Travel with your guide, God’s Word, and enjoy the journey, looking forward to the day you will finally be at rest in the glorious presence of your heavenly Father in the eternal home Jesus Himself has prepared for you. (John 14:3; 2 Corinthians 5:1)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 06:18:35 PM by Pip »

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Devotions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/02/17/what-breaks-our-hearts-does-not-have-to-destroy-our-lives?_hsmi=203298969&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--P7DOVHdooARVIeE2mBRC0mOV0JDKQq95ASUGtW6zrvkMx7MKWHISvcy_4rCJK4V77x8L8D7tmie65k0rgTdwFbjIyvw#disqus_thread

What Breaks Our Hearts Does Not Have To Destroy Our Lives
February 17, 2022

by Lysa TerKeurst

“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 (NIV)

If there is one thing I’m certain of, it’s the inevitable heartbreak and loss we will face in this life. The kind of devastation we didn’t see coming, the kind we’re unsure if we will survive.  We’ve all prayed the desperate prayers asking God, Do You see me?

Why are You not intervening?

Can You not see how much I’m hurting?

I understand these prayers. I’ve let them leave my lips more times than I can count.

Yes, when the expectation of what you thought your life would be and the reality you’re living don’t match up, it’s heartbreaking. And the heartbreak you’re carrying makes it not just difficult but nearly impossible to find God’s hand in the midst of it.  I used to think I had to force a fake smile and muster up the courage to carry on in the middle of what was breaking my heart. That I had to hold it all together and have everything perfectly in line.  But I don’t think that’s what God wants for us at all. I am more convinced than ever that God sees. He knows what’s happening. He will not be mocked by what others may be doing to you. And He intimately cares about every detail of what you’re walking through.  Look at the hope offered in our key verse today: “The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18).

Personalizing the original language for this verse, you could read it like this: The Lord draws near to the one who’s had her heart shattered and delivers her from exposed grief to victory.  I’m learning that, sometimes, trading grief for victory means choosing to see what is instead of being blinded by what isn’t. It’s a tough choice in some moments. Brutal, actually. But it’s a battle that is worth fighting.  We don’t have to let what breaks our hearts destroy our lives.  This breaking of you will be the making of you. A new you. A stronger you. Strengthened not with the pride of perfection but with the sweet grace of one who knows an intimate closeness with her Lord.  He draws you near despite the sharp evidence of your grieving heart. The anger. The deep disappointment and disillusionment. The questions of why you, and why now? The comparisons that make you feel as though God loves other people more. The crying and banging your fist on the steering wheel. The shame and anguish. All of these are shards of being shattered.  But God isn’t afraid of your sharp edges that may seem quite risky to others. He doesn’t pull back. He pulls you close. His love and grace cover your exposed grief. And step by step, He leads you to a new place of victory. Today is part of that process.

So today …

Thank God for the gift of this day.

Enjoy today despite the messiness.

Receive the blessing of this day.

Dance it out at least one time today.

Fill in the gaps with prayer throughout the day.

And remember there is so much more to this one incredible life than the sum total of our heartbreaks.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 04:57:17 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/03/10/you-dont-have-to-be-perfect?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=205232078&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--EWdiOkgNnlmPdsdYdXkkQalQt77mj8J2nCyw2xIf6YL--AHzgK8zz4-c4xyUvMq5zrptzLGHSndWC7glw7rOqi-4DDA&utm_content=205232078&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

You Don't Have To Be Perfect
March 10, 2022

"I'm scared, Mom."

I saw the text message pop up on my phone at 11:30 p.m. My teenage daughter was away on a school trip in Florida.  My husband and I had just gotten a late-night phone call from a foster care worker asking if we could take in a sweet little 7-month-old boy with medical complexities who needed to be placed in a foster home that night.  After discussion and prayer, my husband and I felt we were supposed to step out in faith and say yes. So we did even though we had zero experience with Down syndrome, cleft lip/palate or feeding a baby through a g-tube.  I read the rest of the text from my daughter. She was sharing honestly how she felt overwhelmed by how hard it might be to take on the task of caring for this tiny boy. She was worried that all of the doctor appointments, potential surgeries and therapies ahead might be too much to take on especially since we already had a baby of our own.  Crafting a reply, I typed the truest words I knew to say to her: “I’m scared, too.”

Because I was. The doorbell was about to ring, and the DCS worker would be standing there with a little boy who needed a lot of care, love and nurturing. If I played out all of the unknowns of what saying “yes” to him might mean, it felt overwhelming to me.  Then I sent a second text to my daughter: “Both Dad and I feel strongly that God has called us to say yes. So we are going to trust God to help us one day at a time. I don’t know what five years from now holds, but I’m just going to trust God for today. Can you do that with me?”

We texted back and forth for a few more minutes, and by the end of the conversation, I sensed the heaviness and fear had lifted. My girl felt seen. She felt heard. She knew she was not alone. And we were in this together trusting God together in spite of our fears.  My kids don’t need a perfect parent who can preach persuasive sermons. They need a mom who loves them, listens to them and points them to Jesus.  Think about it: If I were perfect, I wouldn’t need Jesus. The whole reason Jesus came to earth and died for me is because I am not able to achieve perfection.  As Colossians 2:13-14 says, “And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.”

When I read this verse, I feel such deep gratitude. Christ’s finished work on the cross has canceled the record of our debt.  He took upon Himself the punishment we deserved for our sins.  He paid our debt in full. Not because of who we are or what we have done but because of who He is and how much He loves us. Because of this, when God looks at us, He sees Jesus. This is the gospel. This is the Good News!  His death on my behalf allows me to live with freedom and joy free from having to live life chasing after pleasing other people, being perfect or managing my reputation.  Whether it’s parenting, marriage, working at our job or just living life with others, we will never do it all right. And that’s not the goal. Let’s be people who are honest enough to admit our mistakes and imperfections and our need for Jesus each and every minute of the day!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 06:16:02 PM by Pip »

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
How Asking for Help Opens Doors
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/03/15/how-asking-for-help-opens-doors?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=205766986&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_tdA5dTMwbij9lOdGf7qZmFY6fV_JnpHhC-HdJxpbat6Q0cZ5Gfp9i9HZ219cvnfTLzlqp8WDT_4XzOyMrt1xVWN6-xw&utm_content=205766986&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

How Asking for Help Opens Doors
March 15, 2022

by Abby McDonald

“Yet I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.” 1 Kings 19:18 (ESV)

“If I can get to the end of this section, I’ll be OK,” I told myself.

I willed my legs to move forward, but they felt like Jell-O. The ropes course stretched out ahead, and I forced myself not to look down.  As I watched my boys go on with ease, I wondered, Why did I agree to this adventure?

Oh yes, to spend time with my kids and make memories. My body begged me to stop and shook in one final attempt to surpass the obstacle. Then I heard the instructor say it: “Do you need help?”

What I wanted to say was “Yes.” But I hesitated. My pride said, “Keep going. Show your boys how strong you are.” But after several moments, I knew I couldn’t pull myself over the wood plank blocking my path. “Yes,” I replied. “I do.”

If I’m honest, my reluctance to let the instructor help me is a reflection of what often happens in my spiritual life. Instead of inviting God into a difficult situation, I act as though He’s not there. When life’s stresses leave me anxious and I realize everyday burdens are too much, instead of calling out, I hesitate. I convince myself I already know how the story will end.  When we look in Scripture, too, we see this mindset. It’s not new; it simply presents itself in new ways. Take Elijah, for example after he demonstrated God’s power to the Baal worshippers by calling down fire from heaven, he heard of Jezebel’s plot to kill him. Instead of turning to God, he ran.  God met Elijah on Mount Horeb, where He asked, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” (1 Kings 19:9b, ESV).

Elijah said he was the only one left who’d been faithful to the Lord, and he was tired. He’d been zealous, and everyone had turned against him. But was this true?

Elijah thought he knew the end of the story, but God had been raising up an army.  “Yet I will leave seven thousand in Israel, all the knees that have not bowed to Baal, and every mouth that has not kissed him.” (1 Kings 19:18)

It isn’t until we see our need for God that He shows us the army He’s raising on our behalf. It’s there, in our humility, that He reveals His plan to us. Sometimes God humbles us with earthquakes and wind, like He did with Elijah, and other times He humbles us with our inability to move any further. His purpose is never to stop our forward movement but to bring us to the Guide. He opens the door to the next chapter a little wider, and He gives us a glimpse of what He’s doing. But we have to ask. We have to acknowledge we don’t have the answers.  When I finally asked the instructor for help, she pulled me to the next platform, then let me complete the course. By letting her assist me, I was able to experience the exhilaration of the zip line finish. I had assumed we’d skip this part, but I was wrong. Asking for help ended up opening the door to a new adventure.  The same is true when we ask for help from God.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Finding Your Mission Right Where You Are
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 06:23:29 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/03/22/finding-your-mission-right-where-you-are?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=206568088&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9lbIU-EpT9myaCMn2KcRGqnnoPtSmQDq1nZFEwT5LjJ6S0NDw3YZA3rSREXgPbiBw4ClkZtTga4KkPxJvvI_uOv114UA&utm_content=206568088&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Finding Your Mission Right Where You Are
March 22, 2022

by Tim Tebow

“There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:42 (NLT)

Have you ever wondered what your life’s mission is?

What your purpose is?

Most of us have wondered that at some point. I learned a lot about mission when I met my friend Jaden.  Twenty-three-year-old Jaden Barr has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 15 years old, as well as recurring cholesteatoma, which has resulted in hearing loss in both ears.  While he admits he has fallen short time and time again, Jaden aspires to live what I call a “mission-possible life”: a life that glorifies God through living out his unique purpose.  I had the opportunity to spend a few days with Jaden in 2015. Part of my mission was to encourage him, but by the end of our time together, he was the one encouraging me! It’s funny how God works that way so often.  In light of the health challenges Jaden has had to endure, he recognizes what it means to live a mission-possible life.  Jaden told me, “God created me with a purpose: to know Him and to make Him known. It’s easy to fall into the temptation of thinking life is about me and my plans, but I’m always reminded that the mission I’ve been given by God is much bigger and better than any worldly pursuit. By giving God control over my plans and following His instead, it makes the work I do have meaning and significance.”

This amazing young man has a heart that desires the greater things, what Jesus called “the good part” (Luke 10:42, NASB) or, as the New Living Translation puts it, the “one thing worth being concerned about.” We find this verse in the story of Mary and Martha. Jesus is speaking to Martha about her sister Mary, who had discovered the one important thing.  “There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:42)

And what is that one thing?

Pursuing God, sitting at His table, being in His presence without worry, fear, anxiety, resumé́-building or winning a title. It’s not that we never think about those things, but we don’t let them dominate our vision. We strive and strain forward in this life with Jesus as our focus, with His will as our goal, and with His rewards as our prize.  Even at his young age, my friend Jaden has the wisdom to point out the dangers of me-centric living. This is tempting for all of us, no matter how young or old, no matter if you’re a parent or a preacher, a student or a teacher, a web creator or a music maker.  I love what Jaden once shared with me: “You’ll end up empty if you make life or your mission about yourself. I feel most fulfilled and in line with my purpose when I’m looking outside of myself and my own desires and putting that energy into pouring into others. When you look outside yourself, that’s where true mission is found.”

This reminds me of the power and passion that come when you are focusing your energy outside of yourself. I want to live each day more alive and more passionate because of what Jesus has done for me. The past His death and resurrection keeps me motivated in the present to change the future.  When we determine to live “mission possible,” we won’t look back one day and wrestle with regret, or wonder what we did with our lives. Because we, right now, have a specific role to play in bringing faith, hope and love to a world in need.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Broken Promise
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 07:03:15 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/03/23/broken-promise?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=206568997&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_Hm3zM44MthLl9Pqidy61dCNcPD3KamfQYAAPn_TRzXcPBtXuPd9igXvf8VS6MBN_P7yC7Dyug_yxZyrEVHdAOc4e7_Q&utm_content=206568997&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Broken Promise
March 23, 2022

by Blair Linne

“God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” Numbers 23:19 (NIV)

Honest confession: I’ve broken promises before. Maybe you have, too. Even when I’ve desired to keep my word, for one reason or another, I didn’t or simply couldn’t!  Just two days ago, a friend invited me to have lunch with her. I told her that once I ran an errand I would text her to confirm and completely forgot. Despite desiring to spend time with her, my own fallibility my forgetfulness was the barrier to me fulfilling my promise to my friend.  And not only have I dished out my share of broken promises, but I have been on the receiving end of them, too.  There have been times when I thought God was promising me something when He wasn’t. Sometimes friends with the best intentions can proclaim promises that God never did.  Like promising that, if you are faithful, you will be given a spouse.  Or if you are good with children, it must mean you will have a child biologically.  Or if you put God first, then you will have a fabulous marriage with no challenging times.  Sometimes we blame God for not fulfilling a promise He never said He would. Familiarizing ourselves with His Word helps us know what He intends to accomplish. The point of God’s promises is not to indulge our desire for all of our Christian wishes to come true, but it is to make us holy.  We can take comfort in the character of God. This is what we know to be true: Yahweh is holy. He is not like us: He never forgets a promise He made. He is changeless, and it is impossible for Him to lie. (Hebrews 6:18) When He makes a declaration or oath, He always completes it. He never says “oops!” and He never has to take back what He spoke because His “yes” is “yes,” and His “no” is “no.” As our key verse says, God is not a human being that He should change His mind:  “God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” (Numbers 23:19).

When we understand God’s conditional and unconditional declarations, we better understand the verses that may seem to suggest God has changed. God doesn’t change, but He does respond favorably to people who approach Him humbly.  If a person or people marked for judgment respond with repentance, God responds with mercy because that is who He is. Returning mercy in the sight of humility is what He does. (Micah 7:18)  Therefore, “Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” (Numbers 23:19b-c). We know these are rhetorical questions because the answer is: Of course not! God will never make a promise and not fulfill it! He will accomplish everything He said. He cannot lie because He is the Truth.

And the best news of all, friend, is that all of God’s promises find their fulfillment in Christ Jesus. (2 Corinthians 1:20) He is the Promise who was literally broken for us, to show that God simply doesn’t break any of His promises.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Living a Life of Holy Fulfillment
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:17 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/03/28/living-a-life-of-holy-fulfillment?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=207419071&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8yGdSfdM6GypsUd8dOr9huzIiXailLj-ncaOlWPa8Pwu4oV-ly5l_SPU2Pz_A-O9aXze2WtcDdd1imomyowQVfHoZ1QA&utm_content=207419071&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Living a Life of Holy Fulfillment
March 28, 2022

by Kate Crocco

“The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.” Psalm 16:5-6 (ESV)

A few years ago, as the December days grew colder and shorter, I found myself becoming unanchored.  You might know the feeling: I was slowly slipping back into old behaviors that, in the past, had led to burnout. Exciting opportunities arose that I didn’t want to pass up. Past perfectionistic patterns began to resurface, and I began working more than ever before.  As I rocked my 16-month-old to sleep, I caught a glimpse of the swaddle hanging above her bookcase, imprinted with an interpretation of Esther 4:14 that said, “Perhaps, this is the moment for which you have been created.”

Right then, the pressure that had been building felt as though it might swallow me whole. I had no choice: I couldn’t fail.  At the time, I felt immensely blessed. But I was tired. I was running on adrenaline. And I had no idea how out of alignment I was about to become. I prayed that I could find a way to rest, disconnect from the pressures of work and be more present for my family.  Maybe you’re there today, too, barely hanging on by a thread. Not only are you striving to nail that opportunity and make the next right decision, but you’re also flooded with the pressure to impress your boss, be the best partner to your spouse, keep your kids’ juice cups filled and diapers changed, provide top-notch services to your clients, remember not to lock the dog outside in the rain, keep in touch with your high school bestie, serve at church and text your mom back.  What if I told you it’s possible?

You can begin living a life of peace, simplicity, freedom and abundance. Free from the pressure of missing the mark, passing over opportunity, failing the first time or feeling the dreaded FOMO (fear of missing out). What if life could just feel like that four-letter “E” word no one ever talks about? You know, “easy”?

It all begins by drawing the line setting boundaries and limits in any and every crevice of our lives. Alignment is born from knowing our own boundary lines and fiercely guarding them. Allowing anything to cross those boundary lines will inhibit you from living the life God has available for you, a life of holy fulfillment.  As I held my sleeping child, I closed my eyes to breathe in this passage and slow my pounding heart:  “The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.  I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure. For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.  You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:5-11, ESV).

I believe this is God’s definition of drawing the line: standing firm in our limits and stepping into the aligned lives He has available for us.  It looks like this: our lines or boundaries are set in pleasant places, and we trust God’s great provision. A spiritual line connects our hearts to God’s Truth in unshakable faith, secure in His plan and the path He has placed before us — in fullness, joy and even more than we can ever fathom.  How beautiful is that?

Is this not the best depiction of God’s promise for you when you seek it?

If, like me, you wonder when you’ll know you’re in alignment with God’s purpose for you, here’s the secret, friend: You will 100% know you are in alignment when, even if life is hard or devastating, your hope in Jesus is not shaken. You know, despite the grief, loss, uncertainty or whatever you are facing, He hasn’t left your side for one minute.  You may want to throw in the towel and doubt His plan, but you know you will be OK in time. And if you’re not OK God is not done working.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 12:27:29 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/01/when-people-forget-god-never-does?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=207418616&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_tbgkCjGhTWuhtlhFaI-v5w181RCbrXZkuCbqLImsfSP5uC8BMCmQL91pC6_8LNBj_via2SUgk6FSjimx0V1TTr7AEng&utm_content=207418616&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When People Forget, God Never Does
April 1, 2022
by Elizabeth Laing Thompson

“But Zion said, ‘The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.’ ‘Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!’” Isaiah 49:14-15 (NIV)

I knock, and my parents’ front door swings open. Dad stands there uncertainly, his collared shirt half tucked into old sweatpants.  I wait for the flash of his crinkle-eyed grin, but he just blinks and says, “Hi?”

The question guts me. My own father doesn’t recognize me.  “Dad, it’s me, Elizabeth.”

His eyes brighten. “Elizabeth! Come in.”

“I’ll make us coffee,” I say, trying to keep moving so I don’t cry.

Dad’s been forgetting things for a while, but this not recognizing his own family is new.  We soon cradle steaming mugs at the kitchen table. I steer our conversation to familiar topics, but we keep stalling out. Dad can’t remember his favorite restaurant, our family vacations, the songs we used to sing.  On my drive home, the tears finally come. I pray, but it comes out muddled: Lord, it feels like our memories never happened.  And seeing Dad’s dementia worsen in spite of all our prayers it makes me wonder if You, too, have forgotten me.  Maybe you know the feeling: You pray and plead but get no answer or at least not the answer you want. You reach out for God, your heart hurting, but He feels distant. Silent. And doubt starts to whisper: Maybe God doesn’t care.  Maybe He’s forgotten me.  We aren’t the first to feel insecure with our Father. In moments of crisis, God’s people sometimes expressed similar feelings in the Bible. Once, when Israel was under threat from an enemy nation, the Israelites cried, “The LORD has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me” (Isaiah 49:14).

Now that my dad has dementia, I can more fully appreciate the way God’s response mingles painful truth with staggering kindness: “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!” (Isaiah 49:15).

By saying, “Though she may forget,” God acknowledges that people even the people we need most aren’t always there for us. Sometimes they can’t be. But God is always there, and He never forgets: “I will not forget you!” (Isaiah 49:15b).

Ironically, when tough times hit, we may become forgetful. Hardship makes it hard to remember the good. We forget the comforting truths in God’s Word. We forget His kindnesses in the past. We forget.  so we feel forgotten.  Here we can find guidance from Asaph, one of the biblical psalmists. Like us, Asaph asked, “Has his promise failed for all time? Has God forgotten to be merciful?” (Psalm 77:8b-9a, NIV). But Asaph revived his faith by digging through his memories: “I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will … meditate on all your mighty deeds” (Psalm 77:11-12, NIV).

We, too, can overcome doubt, that lonely, God-has-forgotten-me feeling, with remembrance. We can intentionally recall specific times when God has proven faithful. Times when He has met our needs, answered our prayers, comforted our hurts. When we meditate on God’s faithfulness, the enemy’s lie God has forgotten you loses its power.  The next time heartache comes knocking, try clinging to God’s promise by recalling the many ways He has already kept that promise: I will not forget you.  God always remembers us.  Let’s make sure we remember Him, too.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/08/more-of-jesus-less-of-me?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=208809461&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_5xCw61Q5HaWe-COAeJRSeg1SzJxc1A29IGgEb4R5I_J_vZgufvyBStxkHqBwVYEMg3kssf9Q6FvK6tWeC07Q11RCncQ&utm_content=208809461&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

More of Jesus, Less of Me
April 8, 2022
by Nicole Domitro,

“He must increase, but I must decrease.” John 3:30 (ESV)

While I’ve never been punched in the stomach, I am quite familiar with that gut-wrenching, hunched-over, arms-clenching experience.  That is exactly how I felt after the flood of comments started pouring in from a controversial social media post I made.  Oh. My. Word.  Literally, my words. My intentions were to create an encouraging conversation where my friends from all seasons of life and all denominations and beliefs could collectively come together with differing opinions and encourage one another despite our differences. Unfortunately, I was left with cruel words and condescending comments.  Insert stomach punch.  I let this uncomfortable feeling resonate within me and actively asked the Holy Spirit to help me see what I had missed. Surprisingly, John 3:30 almost instantly ignited in my mind:  “He must increase, but I must decrease.”

Though I wasn’t sure how this verse applied to me, I just knew it was what God had put on my heart. Later that day, as I was dissecting the social media post with my husband, something he said managed to completely tear open my heart with conviction: “Do you feel like God was glorified by that post?”

Suddenly John 3:30 made more sense. These were the words that John the Baptist spoke in reply to his followers. His followers were arguing over the issue of purification, and they felt like John’s popularity was decreasing: “And they came to John and said to him, ‘Rabbi, he who was with you across the Jordan, to whom you bore witness look, he is baptizing, and all are going to him’” (John 3:26, ESV).

These followers essentially said, “Hey this dude, Jesus, is baptizing more people than you. What's up with that? Aren’t you going to say something?”

John readily responded by exalting Jesus. He didn’t argue or rebuke his followers; he simply explained how it was his joy to be the best man, not the bridegroom. (John 3:29) Even though John was baptizing and doing great things for God’s Kingdom, it wasn’t about him. It was about Jesus.  Even though my intentions seemed pure, my heart wanted to exalt my opinion over other social posts I had been reading all week. I wanted my opinion heard so that there would be some justice for the hurt I was witnessing all around social media.  That’s where I failed. But that’s also where God met me. My opinions weren’t the problem the problem was sharing them without first considering if my words glorified God. That gut-wrenching feeling wasn’t because people disagreed with me; it was because I didn’t feel like anything I said pointed others to Christ.  Just like John, we are ambassadors for Christ, paving the way for His return. Arguing across social media or anywhere else is not how we show others the love of Jesus. We allow God to increase when we humble ourselves in constant prayer, (Romans 12:12) trust God's promises (John 16:33) and hold our thoughts captive to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:5)  And when we do this, sister, we allow the gospel to be glorified and others to better know Jesus for who He is. That is something worth the gut punch every time.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 03:27:00 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/13/finding-god-in-the-scars?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=209088424&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--jMvm7N6qw4N-XSH_WiadSnEZAugJCiu_gqDH467vlYt5OhJEHKElv4h7jb39ikvxAa58fiwPsz-VkQTbsr6mNbzBWdQ&utm_content=209088424&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Finding God in the Scars
April 13, 202
by Amina from northeast Nigeria

“That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:10 (NIV)

Editor’s Note: Amina’s story is difficult yet powerful. Her husband was killed for his faith by Boko Haram, an Islamic extremist group in sub-Saharan Africa. The group terrorizes Christians and anyone else who does not adhere to their strict interpretation of Islam. It’s estimated that more than 25,000 people remain in Boko Haram captivity.

I thank God I grew up reading the Bible and that the Bible didn’t hide from me anything about persecution. I would read about Paul and how he suffered. He was beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, arrested, and imprisoned again and again. (2 Corinthians 11:23-27)  But through it all, he walked with and trusted Jesus, knowing that the trials revealed the strength of Jesus in his life. Jesus’ power in Paul’s life gave him strength to stand, as the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 12:10:  “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

From Scripture, I learned that anything can happen anytime, anywhere. Looking back, I know God’s Word prepared me to face my trials.  I lived with my husband, Daniel, and our five kids four sons and one daughter in the northeast region of Nigeria, in Maiduguri, a city of 1 million people.  But that was before October 2, 2012. That evening, our whole family was inside watching TV, trying to get away from the 90-degree heat outside, when we began to hear pounding on the front gate. In seconds, men with guns had forced their way inside, shouting at us. It was chaos. They told Daniel, “Today is your day; tomorrow is not yours.”

When I heard this, I started praying, God, I do not want to be a widow; please help me, Lord!  They took Daniel and my sons outside and told them to denounce Christ. When my husband and sons refused, the attackers told them, “If you are not going to denounce Christ, we are going to kill you today.”

That day, I became a widow. The Lord spared the lives of my sons. Praise God! They were in the hospital for a month with severe injuries, but they are with me today. My sons say the scars from the attack are their testimonies evidence of the existence of God.  Five years after that, I had no idea my faith would also be tested in the same way as my husband’s. I was on my way to a funeral, traveling with 15 other people, when we heard gunshots. We all fell on the floor of the van, and I silently prayed Psalm 118:17: “I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD” (KJV).

The terrorists took most of the women into the Sambisa Forest, where we lived in captivity for the next five weeks. Each day, we spent most of our time fasting and praying. They would send their imam (Muslim teacher) to preach to us, and after, they would ask: “Who amongst you wants to denounce Christ?”

Each time we said, “No,” I knew that breath might be my last. Philippians 1:21 became our verse: “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (NIV).

I believe the years I spent studying the Bible gave me strength for these days in captivity.  Eventually, after negotiations with the government, we were freed. The day we came home, I remember going into a room by myself, kneeling and thanking God, praising Him through tears. I came out of the room singing the words of a song I now sing often:

By His grace, I am alive.
That’s why I’m singing.
Jehovah saved my life.

By God’s grace, I have slowly learned to live without my husband and be a single parent. All these things that happened to me make me come closer to Jesus, more and more.  Like Paul, I understand that my trials can reveal Jesus’ strength if I stay with Him and walk with Him. Sometimes I feel so weak and weary, but I know that it is Jesus’ strength that holds me up.  I want to ask you, my sister, to pray for me. Pray for wisdom as I raise and take care of my family. Pray for protection and for God to continue to give us strong hearts. What these men did has forever changed our lives. But through God’s grace and provision, the physical and emotional scars continue to heal in me and my family. Our scars continue to draw us even more deeply to Christ.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 12:16:27 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/22/moving-past-shame-into-new-life?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=209872024&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9fG4c2-o7EVj7X1oJVmPrpFVPMQ_VqC5s77yMIcAOThEXGag_WfTnp_bUixogbApBGi-jrndJxzMcR1h69ZSBK-O7rBg&utm_content=209872024&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Moving Past Shame Into New Life
April 22, 2022
by Laura Bailey

"So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.” Romans 8:1-2 (NLT)

When I think of the hardest person in my life to forgive, guess who comes to mind?

Myself!  Extending grace to others comes much easier to me than extending grace to myself. Instead of eagerly offering myself grace like I do to others, I tend to wallow in a deep pit of shame and guilt. Past transgressions plague my thoughts, crippling my ability to remember that God has fully forgiven me and made me a new, different person in Him.  Deep down, knowing that sooner or later I will fall short again, I wonder if God could ever use someone like me for His glory.  Who will listen to me once they know my past? I am such a phony.  Why did I give in again?

I am never going to change.  What was I thinking?

God is probably so disappointed in me.  Recently, I read a book about the 12 disciples, nearly breezing past references to Peter, whose life was already the most familiar to me. Oh, but what lessons the Lord revealed upon closer examination of this most impulsive disciple!  During the Last Supper with His disciples, Jesus spoke of Peter’s imminent denial of Him, which Peter emphatically asserted he would never do. (Matthew 26:33-35) Yet hours later, Peter did just that, not once but three times. Subsequently, as foretold, the rooster crowed, leaving Peter to bear the weight of guilt and shame for his cowardly actions.  Mercifully, Peter's story didn't end with his courtyard betrayal of Jesus. After Jesus’ death and resurrection, He reappeared to the disciples, taking time to meet specifically with Peter. There is no record of harsh words or recriminations. Instead, Jesus not only reinstated Peter but tasked him with a vital mission: “Feed my sheep” (John 21:17e, NLT).

Romans 8:1-2 tells us, “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death.”

Neither Peter nor any of God’s children need wrestle with feelings of failure and inadequacy. Christ’s work on the cross freed us from the power of sin and darkness, enabling those who trust Him to move past the bondage of shame and despair, into the light of joy and gladness. We stand ready to fight feelings and thoughts that counter the Lord’s purpose for our lives. How?

I like to use the acronym “M.O.V.E.”

Meet with God.
When suffering the pain of shame or guilt, open your Bible and ask the Lord to transform your mind through His Word, silencing any thoughts or feelings that aren’t from Him. (Romans 12:1-2)

Own your story.
Instead of hiding or denying your past, share the good news of God's redemptive power, that He didn’t give up on you and never will. Don’t be too proud to tell others how the Lord has changed you and continues to work in you since you trusted Christ as Savior.

Veto negative thoughts.
Conviction of sin comes from God, leading us to confession and repentance. Shame comes from Satan, our accuser, leading us to despair, doubt and insecurity. Colossians 1:22 is just one of many verses that assure us that our heavenly Father grants repentant sinners free and full forgiveness and never accuses them again. Never!

Elicit help.
We need Christian community to speak the truth in our lives, pray with us and hold us accountable. Don’t fight this battle alone; call on your brothers and sisters in Christ to help you walk in truth.

On this side of eternity, we will never be sinless; only Jesus Christ lived a sinless life. However, like Peter, when we accept God’s gracious gift of salvation through faith in Him, we can M.O.V.E. past shame and guilt and walk boldly in the new life and ministry to which God has called us. To God be the glory!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 04:32:04 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/25/stirring-up-the-spirit-of-joy-for-our-kids?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=210642031&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--UFVRNNP3WibHpBYTlRZLz3DbquAN_MQ3_KH1J7FDMp5HWAKtRPlHKWE0YhENoQRix4BrvSQbxKvn8YYxA9jsC4IxdsA&utm_content=210642031&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Stirring Up the Spirit of Joy for Our Kids
April 25, 2022
by Blythe Daniel

“Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NLT)

When I was growing up, my mom modeled joy to me. It was written all over her face and still is. It wasn’t because things always went her way. In fact, it was often quite the opposite.  Because of her mom’s sharp words and anger outbursts due to anxiety and addiction, my mom didn’t fully experience joy in the way that a child longs to experience joy in their home. She learned over time that her mother’s approval and words over her did not dictate her level of joy. She discovered that joy is what you choose to focus on.  When my mom became a mom, she brought joy from above for my brother and me. It was as if she grabbed hold of a balloon that had temporarily lost its way in the sky, bringing delight and celebration back to us.  My mom brought me joy in the hardest moments. When girls whispered around me but didn’t talk to me, I felt left out, but Mom consoled me and showed me that my heart was worth much more. Mom helped me to see what I could be thankful for as she spoke to me. I needed to possess joy and not allow others to diminish the joy the Lord put in my heart.  Now, with my children, I’m passing down what I hope is a handful of hope and joy on days where balloons seem to have escaped in their childhood. I get to show them how to invite joy into their lives. Children don’t always have the skills to overcome defeat, but they can take hold of joy.  We know that children can’t follow what they don’t see. As moms, we need to give them something bigger to rejoice in not their friends, not their activities or successes, but the very goodness of Christ, who defines joy from the Father.  Recently I experienced the joy shown by two elementary-aged sisters at church one blind, using a white cane, and the other with eyesight, walking with forearm crutches who leaned into each other to get to the front of the room to worship God. It undid me. They showed joy in spite of their circumstances. It made me think about their mom and the joy she possessed to raise them in love. The girls carried the joy that Christ offers and held on to His love as they held on to each other.  How I daily grasp joy and bring it fully into our home sets the tone for how my children pivot their joy. As women, we are joy-setters in our homes. If it doesn’t start with us, it will not trickle down to our children. I hope you’ll join me in grabbing hold of joy through the following ways:

1.  Invite joy into your life. It is an outward expression of our inward hope in God. Make it your mission! Joy comes when we invite it in, when we see it way off in the distance and call it home.

2.  Model the spirit of joy for the people in your life, especially your children. Joy isn’t something we decide to wear on a particular day, putting it on, and taking it off when things don’t go well. Rather, joy is a firm place in our hearts that flows through every area of our lives what we say, what we do and how we act.

3.  Every day, remember to make the spirit of joy the center that you frequently revisit. No one can shake your joy without your permission. Joy is rooted in rejoicing. So when we choose to rejoice in God and with God, even in short sentences, alone or with our children, the gifts of joy find their place in our hearts and minds.

4.  Don’t wait for joy to come knocking on your door open your heart and home to it always. It is hard for children to anticipate having joy even in disappointment. But if we are strong role models of joy, our children will see that we can welcome joy and sadness in the same breath and bless our children with words that point them to the only One who will not disappoint.

Paul wrote to the church of Thessalonica, saying to respect each other, encourage the timid, help the weak and be patient with everyone. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-15) He shared this right before the verse that says we are always to be joyful and thankful, and we are never to stop praying: “Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).

When our children can wake up and find us on our knees or with our Bibles open, may they know that this is indeed where our joy comes from.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 08:37:32 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/26/welcome-the-word-and-watch-it-grow?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=210650715&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9fzV_5AwgWjL4RE39d5BDia5H3L_MQigsYZjqpubFnRK5TQbCJiZbdS6MA9Ar6PRDzPj1NWys21IwD_fg4QwoLwx2c1g&utm_content=210650715&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Welcome the Word and Watch It Grow
April 26, 2022
by Jasmine Williams

“but the worries of this age, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.” Mark 4:19 (CSB)

Have you ever read a passage in the Bible or heard a timely message and thought, Wow, this is really gonna change my life, only to soon forget the impact of that moment and have your life not really change much at all?

I have. More than once.  And when the next “change my life” message comes along, I’m filled with new optimism that it’s for real this time. Without a little effort on my end, though, it typically goes the same way. From Jesus’ parable of the sower, Mark 4:19 says, “but the worries of this age, the deceitfulness of wealth, and the desires for other things enter in and choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful.”

This well-known passage talks about the “seed” sown when people hear the Good News of God’s Kingdom. That seed has been sown in each of us who has heard the gospel. And it thrives based on the environment in which it grows. What we do in the moments after hearing God’s powerful Word can help cultivate “good ground” (Mark 4:8, CSB) as we trust Him to produce growth in us.  Reflect on some of the principles you’ve established for yourself. Maybe you always wake up at a certain time or you’re in a habit of reading your Bible daily. Perhaps you make it a practice to start a load of laundry every morning. Whatever those things are for you, they started as small ideas you allowed to blossom. You gave those “seeds” the proper environment, and they have become fruitful in your life. You didn’t just have the idea or inspiration and then move on to something else.  When the Spirit opens our hearts upon our first hearing of God’s Word, it has a place to flourish and become something wonderful in us. Too often, though, as we age in our faith, we get sidetracked by other things, many of which aren’t necessarily bad but are distracting. Admittedly, I’ve spent hours reading about home décor styles or income opportunities on days that I definitely didn’t give God that same amount of enthusiasm. Are either of those things bad?

No, not inherently, but when they distract me from what God says or take my attention away from meditating on the most recent seeds He has given me, they become bad for me.  Other times, in our fast-paced, distraction-filled lives, we hear parts of God’s Word and acknowledge them but never really let them inside us. If we’re honest, we’ve all been there, and it’s just like God to know it would be a weakness many of us have, hence the parable of the sower. It gives us the encouragement we need to continue being fruitful.  Mark 4:20 says, “And those like seed sown on good ground hear the word, welcome it, and produce fruit thirty, sixty, and a hundred times what was sown” (CSB).

One key phrase there is “welcome it.” Some translations say “receive” (KJV) or “accept” (ESV). Think about how it feels when someone welcomes you into their home. They invite you in, offer to hang up your coat, maybe provide a meal or coffee, and just spend time engaging you. It feels so nice to be loved that way!  When we welcome God’s Word, giving it time, space and priority, it’s an expression of love for Him and helps create the exact environment those seeds need to grow.  We can find beauty and fun in activities of the world without being distracted by them. I won’t pretend to know the exact formula for how to do this consistently, but I do know it starts with truly welcoming God’s Word and those messages inspired by Him. Somewhere in the midst of all the things, maybe we just need to sit and have a cup of tea with the last “change my life” seed He gave us. Welcome it, and watch it grow.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/27/why-are-you-here-finding-your-way-out-of-negative-mindsets?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=210650687&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9LEpAGCpH8HI7DX87Gb64Pikxuc61xMfC8RVKLDCTnmhQcURj5IVzpXAjgxw2K5xXxoztoFvD7lMY0vLlL1nBNujAp-g&utm_content=210650687&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Why Are You Here? Finding Your Way Out of Negative Mindsets
April 27, 2022
by Denise Pass

“When Elijah heard it, he covered his face with his robe and went out and stood at the entrance to the cave. Suddenly a voice asked him, ‘Why are you here, Elijah?’” 1 Kings 19:13 (NET)

Sliding carefully out of the hospital bed, I steadied myself slowly. Just breathing took effort while I tried to absorb my new reality. I pinched myself. No, this was real.  My body had succumbed to pneumonia after a stressful season in my life. Pneumonia and I had been acquainted before, many times. But my biggest struggle wasn’t physical. It was mental.  What occupied my mind was worry over the well-being of my five children while I was in a hospital away from them. Fear over what would happen to me filled my mind as the doctors did not have answers. And doubt deceived me as I wondered why God allowed me to go through pneumonia once again.  “Why am I here, God?”

“Will you let Me use you here?” was His response.

Sometimes I wish God would just give answers instead of questions or remove the problem, but He is helping me to think higher. So often I don’t see what He sees or think what He thinks.  God’s thoughts are greater than ours. (Isaiah 55:8) Believing our thoughts above God’s surrenders our mindset to our emotions and flesh rather than to the Spirit. (Romans 8:5-6) Fixing our eyes on Jesus sets us free. (Colossians 3:2) But this is so hard when our own thoughts deceive us. (Jeremiah 17:9)  When life is too much, our own thoughts can defeat us, tempting us to abandon faith as we wander into the wilderness of negative mindsets rather than resting in God’s Word and promises.  Elijah, a man God used to change the minds of masses, had his mindset breached by the enemy when Elijah was threatened by Jezebel. When these threats intensified and became personal, terror gripped Elijah’s mind and he fled for his life.  This led him into the wilderness literally and mentally. Elijah allowed his mindset to shift from bold faith to abject fear, causing him to doubt the same God who had just brought down fire from heaven against the prophets of Baal and their false “gods.” (1 Kings 18:19-40)  The story of Elijah reminds me that the enemy’s tactics in mental warfare are nothing new. Fear. Hopelessness. Doubt. Confusion. But in that place of emotional turmoil, God challenged Elijah by offering both His presence and a question to reset his mind. God reminded Elijah that He was with him. He asked Elijah this question twice, in 1 Kings 19:9 and 1 Kings 19:13: “Why are you here, Elijah?”

Elijah’s answer seemed reasonable as to why he had fled to the wilderness. Circumstances. Fear. Death threats. (1 Kings 19:10)  But God knew where Elijah was. He knows where we are. His question to Elijah is the same question He asks us. His questions aren’t about how we got into our mess but about helping us to think of His purposes while in that place. When life just becomes too much, our God invites us to think higher than our own thoughts. Even when we shrink back in fear, God still has a plan.  God was not through with Elijah yet. Though Elijah had retreated this time, God used Elijah mightily to mentor Elisha, who would eventually take his place as prophet. (1 Kings 19:16) God’s directives for our lives and His grace to get us there are greater than the limits we have in our minds.  That day God asked me, “Will you let Me use you here?”

My thought was, Oh, anywhere but here. But yes, Lord, here I am; send me.  God wants to rescue us right in the middle of places we wish we could escape and invites us to go on mission with Him. There in that hospital room, I answered the call to be on mission. I wandered the halls with my oxygen tank and saggy hospital gown, writing scriptures on the dry erase board and giving gifts to other patients. And suddenly I had uncontainable joy. My suffering was not about me, and it was not in vain. God had me there on mission, and He even moved in the heart of a nurse to accept Jesus as her Savior.  Like me, you might have struggled with the same question: “Why am I here?”

But why something happened is not as important as what God’s purposes are in that place. We do not have to stay trapped in negative thoughts. We can make up our minds to see past our circumstances, adopting God’s thoughts as our own, transformed by the mind of Christ even in the fires of this life. (1 Corinthians 2:16)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 04:57:15 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/29/choosing-to-forgive-the-step-we-trip-on?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=210650478&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-91YA1oc8wpmbdB2r4Yv6EWfES_Sk9XC4yAARUblm6lPt_wSciZV_QbiUh95Fvrcu7CsWH-Skih9GfEDQ58-3rfatfaMQ&utm_content=210650478&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Choosing To Forgive: The Step We Trip On
April 29, 2022
by Sharon Jaynes

“Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” Colossians 3:13 (NIV)

At a Saturday college football game, I was doing what I like doing best people-watching.  My seat was on the end of a long row of blue bleachers, and there was a steady flow of fans up and down the concrete steps. After a while, I noticed that four out of five people tripped on the step right in front of me. At halftime, I measured and discovered that the step was about a quarter inch higher than the others. So the people tripped.  I’ve learned that forgiveness is like that step. It’s just a little bit higher than anything else we practice as Christians. Unfortunately, it’s the one step a lot of us seem to trip on the most, myself included.  Growing up, my home was rife with anger, heartache and pain. After my parents and I came to Christ, a lot of forgiveness had to take place, as you can imagine. Trust me; it didn’t come all at once but in stages.  The decision to forgive happened in an instant like a pellet sinking to the bottom of a glass of water.  The revision of emotions happened over time like a pellet sinking to the bottom of a glass of thick oil. It was a hard, high step.  Still, despite how hard forgiveness can be, Jesus tells us it is at the very core of the Christian faith. It’s a foundational theme in Jesus’ teachings. For example, in Mark 11:25, He said: “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins” (NIV).

Throughout Old Testament times, God’s people offered animal sacrifices for the forgiveness of their sins, according to God’s instructions. But their sacrifices were never enough to cover all their sins every new sin required another sacrifice.  Centuries later, God sent His Son, Jesus, to die as the final sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins. His sacrifice was enough to cover our sins: past, present and future. I love how author and pastor Brian Zahnd describes Jesus’ forgiveness as “grace that takes the blame, covers the shame, and removes the stain and the endless cycle of revenge.”

But we aren’t merely recipients of forgiving grace through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross; we are also called to be givers of that forgiving grace.  When something triggers the hurt in my heart all over again, instead of giving in to the hurt that can so quickly turn to bitterness, I have to remind myself that I have already forgiven that person. Then I ask God to help me deal with my very real emotions. I also remind myself of Paul’s words in Colossians 3:13: “Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”

“As the Lord forgave you.”

Let’s allow that to sink in for just a moment. When I remember how God has fully forgiven me for everything I’ve ever done to wrong Him, that makes it easier to forgive those people who’ve hurt me. God’s forgiveness of me drives me to forgive others.  In teaching His followers to forgive, Jesus identified no exceptions no loopholes that let us off the hook from forgiving. He mentioned no crime too heinous, no abuse too perverse, no act too vile, to warrant holding on to unforgiveness. Sister, we can trust that Jesus knows just how deeply people may have hurt us. But He also knows how deeply destructive unforgiveness can be to a human heart.  When we choose to forgive, we not only live out a foundational tenet of our faith, but also we put a stop to the endless cycle of revenge releasing the burden of bitterness and making the world beautiful through grace. I want to be a part of that. Don’t you?

Friend, the step of forgiveness may be a bit higher than some of the other steps in our faith journey, but by the power of the Holy Spirit, we can do it.