Author Topic: Latest  (Read 25756 times)

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Latest
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
I watched a bit of that program, a great idea as nurses often don't have the time to chat with patients which they enjoy.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »
Exactly, Pip!  They are run off their feet and don't have time to do the things they want and that would make the patients' stays less stressful.  On the one that we watched this morning, one of the volunteers stayed 2 hours beyond her shift so that she could go back and see how one of her (child) patients was doing.  The child was fast asleep but the mum really appreciated the volunteers support when they were first introduced.  I did that every weekend in the shoppers' creche because I loved working with the kids so much and Steve felt the same way about his visits to the railway.  The early starts and pooey nappies were soo worth it to both of us that we honestly didn't mind doing it every weekend - we looked forward to it!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
Pushing patients around in wheelchairs? I don't think so. Not really sure if there is anything I feel strongly about; that's just an opinion.  I live in a town that was built because of trains, but that doesn't mean I am nuts about them.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »
It doesn't have to be hospitals or trains... it can be helping out in a shop over Christmas (especially smaller, more local, independent shops) or walking dogs or babysitting or visiting the elderly whose family have forgotten about them or answering phones in a garage, or cleaning schools or businesses when they've closed for the day or helping with the accounts or shelf stacking or setting up a homework/revision club or unofficial, informal tours of your town or if your interested in sports, maybe setting up or helping an already formed sports team or setting up computers/websites for local businesses or individuals or anything like that.

What sort of TV programmes and films interest you?  Is there anything you feel is missing in your town that you could set up an informal gathering to either set up yourselves or at least approach your town council about it. 

Have you got a Church or cemetery you could go to so that you can mow the grass or fill up the water in the flower pots or remove dead flowers or anything like that?  You can be the local Good Samaritan and it's something else to put on your CV which will warm future employers up to you too, before they've even met you   :happy0158:

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
Voluntary work is fine... in principle, but I have no regular income.  It's probably going to cost money going to these places, and meanwhile my bank balance is dwindling.  I just feel I have wasted way too much time already, drifting from one thing to another.  My GP called me pessimistic, well... wouldn't you be in my position?  Plus depression makes you that way, it's just a  fact.  I see somebody from the nhs/council once a week to see if he can help, but I have been seeing him since June and nothing has happened.

People want me to stay enthusiastic and motivated/positive, how do I do that feeling the way I do right now?  Fact is, I need money to live on, and I can't earn anything working for a local charity (yes, it gives me experience).   At times I think people just miss the point.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
Are you getting all the benefits you're entitled to?  ESA and PIP for example?  How about looking into not paying tax (legally of course) and maybe getting free prescriptions and payments to cover heating your home over Winter? 

Your local CAB will be able to help you to make sure you are getting everything you are entitled to and help you to claim things you're entitled to but aren't currently getting.  If you've got credit cards and loans that you're paying PPI on, apply for that too so that it's one less thing to worry about?  The house you're living in, is it rented or mortgaged?  If it's rented then you might be able to get more benefits to cover a chunk of that each month too.

Ask your GP for a referral to adult social services too... they might be able to provide free support and refer you to local places that might help you to get a job too.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
Yes there is help out there to be had.  We've been fortunate over the past couple of years as the Benefits agency have awarded us benefits we didn't even know about which is a miracle in itself.  Anyway you need money to live on so the CAB is a good place to start.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 10:15:11 PM »
Well, I managed to save money from my last job, so it means I am not entitled to benefits, as it is over the threshold.  The house is owned.  Credit cards I don't have, thank god.  I have a student loan, but I am not currently working and earning 25k a year to start paying that back again.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
Ah right, okey dokes.  I still reckon you should go to the CAB to see if they can help you with anything... your GP too, as long as you trust him/her.  What about local newspapers and the Job Centre?  Are there any networking magazines you can get or setting yourself up as a sole trader?  If you do that and you get a website and business cards printed you can work for yourself and in your local area... the CAB and Job Centre can help you with that, no matter what you've got in your savings!   :happy0158:

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 03:16:06 PM »
Not sure about the CAB to be honest.  The GP perhaps, depending on the problem.  As for your sole trader point, I'm not really sure about that, it depends on what is being sold I guess.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
You're selling your networking abilities... helping small businesses who are expanding or giving advice about setting up personal networks or you could maybe ask ISPs if they want your abilities or local businesses who are having issues with their current network or giving advice online about how to properly set up a network or something like that?  If there are any temping agencies, maybe approach them to see if they want/need your services?   :happy0158:

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 07:10:09 PM »
What Amanda said.

The CAB can potentially be helpful as they know about benefits and can point you in the right direction for help.  You don't know until you try and there are incentives to get back to work or start your own business.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 04:01:56 PM »
Okay, well I'm going to summarise it for you... IT is a tough nut to crack without the relevant commercial experience.  I feel like I have been learning forever, without getting anything back for it. I am not entitled to benefits, as I said earlier on.  I need to write a decent professional profile and a few other things, but it's like smacking your head against a brick wall. 

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
It's not impossible to get into IT but I will agree it's not easy either.  Getting your CV just so is a constructive battle you can work on ... I was taught a valuable lesson that it's not just about your qualifications it's also about padding it out.  You can put in that you're keen to learn more, what part of IT you enjoy the most, any weakness you want to improve on etc, show you're keen to improve on what you already know.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 08:22:29 PM »
It is a bit of an art form to get the CV exactly how it should be, I must admit.  You're right, it needs padding out.  It's something I don't have a huge talent for, but I have to keep trying, even tho it's the last thing I want to do.