Author Topic: Coconut as an anti-depressant??  (Read 6839 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Coconut as an anti-depressant??
« on: December 04, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Since finding out that the St. John's Wort is a no-go for my SAD, one of my Facebook friends suggested some sort of oil that's made from cannabis that isn't actually cannabis.  A fantastic friend said in a PM that it was more for pain than SAD but suggested coconut instead, so I ordered some coconut milk and Bounty bars from the Amazon Pantry that's gonna turn up tomorrow.

One of the links said that coconut was 44% more effective than prescription ADs but I don't know if I believe that!

Has anyone tried upping their coconut consumption to help with their depression please?  If you did, did it help or not really?  Even if the coconut stuff doesn't work for me, it's still a yummy flavour so it won't be a waste of money and the coconut milk has got Calcium in it which will help with the bones and teeth from my dairy allergy.

Does coconut genuinely have an anti-depressant effect if you eat/drink enough of it or is it manufacturers talking out of their bum and I'm being naive (sp?) for believing it?

Any thoughts, one way or the other are most welcome! 

Thank you!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
Re: Coconut as an anti-depressant??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:21:22 PM »
Dunno if it really is the coconut, but after 2 Bounty bars and 2 mouthfuls of coconut milk, my mood does seem to be slightly lighter than it was before I had it.

I'm not on top of the world or anything, but I've gone from a 4 to a 5 on the mood scale type thing so it's working for me within seconds.  You'd need to eat and drink a lot of it every day for it to have the leveling effect of ADs, but for a temporary pick-up that you can get with your groceries and is almost instant as opposed to weeks for ADs, it's a definite improvement in my opinion!

The coconut milk tastes strong and weird to me, but so would cow's milk now 'cos it's been almost 20 years since I last tasted it, but I reckon I'll add it to next week's shopping order and take it from there!

Give it a try, just don't expect miracles from just a sip of it... have full mouthfuls instead of just tiny sips!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:34:47 PM »
You've reminded me that I've got coconut oil indoors which is supposed to help with bones and pain but I'm not too sure if it helps with depression.  I will start using it as it can't do any harm.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »
I've got a jar of solidified Coconut oil on the floor lol  I'd recommend that you DON'T use it in tea and coffee, but make it a drink on its own - just a mug of hot water then melt a spoonful of coconut oil into it.  Keep adding the coconut to it until it's as strong as you want then drink it down!

I had a litre of coconut milk at lunchtime because my SAD had got to the point of me not being able to function but a litre of coconut milk later and I'm back to being OKish again!