Health and Wellness > General Health

Anger management

(1/3) > >>

Amanda_George:
Serious question about anger management classes online:

Since coming off the Citalopram in March this year, I've realised that it dulled all my emotions, including my anger and TBH I don't feel in control of my emotions any more.

It's not a constant thing, thankfully, but I can go from average to blowing my top anger then back to average within a minute and it scares me rigid.

I threw a couple of empty, plastic bottles against the wall instead of hurting Steve or myself then as soon as they hit the floor I was back to my usual, calm self.

It's not the first time it's happened but it's getting worse and more intense each time.

Does anyone happen to know of any free online courses that I can take to help me to learn to control my unreasonable anger please?

If you don't want to go public with the name of the place, just send me a quick PM on the forum and I will totally respect your desire for anonymity.

I just don't want to explode at a red traffic light when I try and cross the road or someone cutting me up accidentally while I'm in Patrick in town is all.

TBH, I'm scared of what I'm capable of and I don't trust myself any more!

Pip:
Go on the Jeremy Kyle Show to get help that way  :rofl: .

On a serious note anger is horrible living with and I managed to learn how to deal with my anger.  I still have a temper but I still use tactics to help me not to explode.  Unfortunately I don't have any experience with anger management so all I can do is make suggestions:

Use Google to search

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/anger.htm

https://beckinstitute.org/seven-steps-anger/

https://www.dummies.com/health/mental-health/managing-anger-with-cbt-for-dummies-cheat-sheet-uk-edition/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/controlling-anger/

Amanda_George:
Thank you Pip.  I tried a search before posting here but got so confuzzled with all the different options!  I'll go and have a look at your links now   ;D

Martin:
An 'Anger Diary' is a good thing to work on.
Anyone who has ever struggled with uncontrollable anger and rage knows that anger has a way of sneaking up and taking control of us; our thoughts and actions, before we even realise what’s happening. It seems like we're completely out of control and as if we can never fix this or even manage it. We can, with practice. With the right commitment to ourselves and a lot of consistent practice, we can get better at catching anger before it takes over.

Keeping an Anger Diary will help you achieve that goal.
Here's what you do (I'm not a therapist so excuse the laymans terminology).
Either at the end of the day or a few hours after the anger has passed, take a moment to reflect on a situation in which you felt your rage fire up, or even an incident that got you frustrated. Make a few notes about the event.

On a sheet, make 4 columns or a block of rows (whatever you prefer) or even just one page in a notepad for each incident:
Trigger | Warning Signs | Anger Response | Outcome

After you make a note of a few (say 5) incidents that fired up your anger, review what notes you've made.
Ask yourself:
Do you see any patterns relating to your anger?
How would you like to react differently?

Amanda_George:
Thank you Martin, I'll give it a go, but the rage seems to come out of nowhere, for no reason and lasts less than 5 seconds!  I'm fine immediately before and immediately after, it's just sooo unpredictable that's the scariest part and it's not every day either, or even every week, I can go weeks between outbursts then the next one is more intense than the previous one.  I just want to learn how to control it and stop the rage before I get out of control and accidentally hurt myself or someone else and I don't know how to.

My father had bursts of rage when I was a child but his lasted for hours before he calmed down whereas mine lasts for maybe 5 seconds... could it be genetic maybe?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version