Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 5096 times)

mumoftwo

Hi!
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
Just joined the forum and doing the intro bit before I start posting.....
I'm 46, have had anxiety and depression since I was 21 - diagnosed formally with anxiety and depression at 25 but also with social anxiety.  Have had some success with anti depressants but even when they work for a bit I find that my brain seems to get used to the meds pretty quickly and I end up having to increase the dose or switch to a different med.
Have recently developed a strange phobia to anti depressants.  When I take them or increase the dose my heart beats rapidly.  I see that's one of the side effects but have had lots of tests in hospital and they say it's panic attacks so I have come off them.
I was ok for a few months but with the onset of winter my depression is back with a vengeance!  I'm still also paranoid about my heart and get anxiety with it and have had problems with nocturnal (as well as daytime) panic attacks :-(
I have found a brilliant website : anxietycoach.com which has helped me through my panic attacks and I also have bought the book.  The website has literally been a lifesaver for me and my panic attacks have been reduced to anxiety at the moment because of it.
I am trying other things to control the depression/anxiety:  excelatlife.com has loads of brilliant audios and relaxation/meditation.  I've been using it for a few years now and it's free.  I also use a lightbox as my depression is worse in the morning and I am also worse in the winter.  I've got a couple of great apps for my phone too: 5 good things and Breath now which I try and use daily.  I also try and walk/exercise too.  I would like to try some cognitive behavioural therapy but have so many negative thoughts and attitudes that I never know where to start!!!!

If you've got this far down my intro then well done!  I will stop rambling now :-D

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »
Hi Mumoftwo,
welcome to the forums.
unfortunatly depression and anxiety can often be linked together.
as for the cognitive behavioural therapy, it may work for some people, but not everyone is suited to it
have a chat with your doc and get their thoughts on it.

where you say it has got worse with the onset of winter, does this happen every year?
if it does, again run it by your doc, it could be SAD.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 06:08:45 PM »
 :welcome:

I suffered with SAD for many years without realizing as I hadn't heard of it. You could be suffering with that as well.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 11:34:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum, MumOfTwo!

As well as running the SAD symptoms past your GP, maybe ask them to test your vitamin levels too?  Especially your vitamin B12?  If you'd prefer not to, that's totally OK, maybe start taking a good quality multi-vitamin to see if that helps you?
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.