Author Topic: Next year's holiday (it'll be the first for over a decade)  (Read 2338 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Next year's holiday (it'll be the first for over a decade)
« on: November 30, 2015, 01:59:16 PM »
Hello everyone

Steve's just said about wanting to go on holiday next year with our pup.  We haven't been on holiday since we moved in together in 1998 and Steve's just had a good payout from a savings scheme so we can easily afford a week away somewhere.

Neither of us have been to Devon or Cornwall and there seems to be a good offer on the Dog's Trust/Welcome Cottages page and the one at the top of the list has everything within easy walking distance as well as being a bungalow for less than £300 for a week but I'm just after some thoughts from people who've been there on holiday or live close by... what's it like there, what's the beach like, what are the tourist attractions and things like that please?

Thank you!

Amanda, Steve and Mitzi
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Next year's holiday (it'll be the first for over a decade)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »
That sounds like a good bargain and a lovely part of the country to visit.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »
Thank you Pip!  Have you ever been to Devon or Cornwall please?  I've only ever been to Bournemouth and Blackpool!  What sort of beaches are there - pebble or sand?  Are the locals friendly to tourists?  Are dogs allowed on the beach etc etc?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
I haven't been to Devon or Cornwall for many years but both are beautiful counties.  Friends have been there in recent years though.  There are decent beaches down there and should have places where you can walk your dog.  The locals are decent as well.

I'm looking forward to going to Skegness at the end of March next year.  I think we have driven through there a few years ago.  We are going to stay in a caravan that is owned by people we know church and taking a friend, Mary, from church and a friend of hers, Elsie, who comes along for the Thursday lunch club.  Mary has had a hard life.  Her first husband died young, her second husband was violent towards her - they were married for 15 years - and he died a few years ago.  She has a disabled daughter who has four children, one has left home.  We have got the impression that they walk over her all the time.  I know people at church and friends appreciate us taking Mary out and have included her for this holiday.  I don't know Elsie very well but she is a good friend to Mary who has played a part in helping Mary learn how to read, write and maths.  She will be good company for Mary.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »
It sounds like they are a supportive group at your church!  I hope you all enjoy your holiday together!  I also hope you get to know Mary and Elsie better during your time away too!   :happy0158:

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
hope you have a good time whereever you go Amanda
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
Thank you Stewart!