Author Topic: Just putting myself out there...  (Read 3871 times)

Joseph2

Just putting myself out there...
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »
Hello,
I'm not sure what I'm doing this for, I guess as an outlet. My name is Jo (male) and I suffer from serious depression and anxiety. I am at the beginning of a masters in Music Technology and I live with my girlfriend in Kent. I have suffered from mental health problems from the age of about 16; it runs in the family.

I find myself unable to separate what I would consider an inherent disposition to feel depressed or anxious with feelings brought upon by circumstances that would typically bring about such mental states. I have come to realise that my condition is an almost chemical imbalance, therefore talking to a counsellor or therapist has been of limited help although I will continue to try them. I decided about 2 years ago to go down the route of medication (Citalopram). I am now in the final stages of coming of it. I can't say I am happier than I was, the only change is that I have a completely non existent sex drive and I get the shakes when I haven't had a tablet for more than a few days, i wouldn't recommend it.

I have never before made plans to end my life, I'm not always sad and i have people who love me so it has never really seemed like a desirable option. Recently however I have begun to worry about my future. If I am never going to be helped by therapy or medication then I cannot help but wonder what my future holds for me. My depressive states are intense and lead to self destructive behaviour which leads me to further depression and round and round it goes. My self confidence has never been lower and I am vulnerable to failure.

If anyone would like to offer any words of guidance or even just acknowledge this post then I would appreciate it. Thank you for reading, it turned into quite the essay.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:40:19 AM by Joseph2 »

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Just putting myself out there...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
Hi Jo, welcome to the forums.
a chemical imbalance in the brain can often be the key factor in depression, and the meds try to rectify that in some way.
some people have to be on the meds for life, with the occasional tweaking of dosage or change of meds perscrided by your doc.

therapy does not work for everyone, depression treatment for depression is not a one size fits all treatment, can you talk to your doc about a change in meds? there are plenty out there to try.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »
 :welcome:

That's the problem with depression what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

Joseph2

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
Thank you for the responses. I will talk to the doctor about other possible medication options although I am somewhat apprehensive.