Author Topic: Please can someone read this?? I need advice  (Read 2184 times)

Beckyh2489

Please can someone read this?? I need advice
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Hi everybody

My name is Becky. Im 25. I seriously don't know where to turn and I'm looking for advice. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 18 months ago, triggered by a violent and controlling relationship I was in at the time. I was put on alventaflaxine and felt better, strong enough to leave. When I did I started making positive changes in my life and never went back to the doctors to get more of my prescription (really bad idea I know!) I was ok for 6 months or more and now for the last 4-5 months especially I have started seeing the signs in myself again, much to my dismay. I finally mustered up the confidence and courage to go back to the doctors today (as I have moved so registered with a new doctor and this was the first time I have seen him) and literally poured my heart out, burst out crying, told him how isolated I feel, how I have lost interest in everything I used to live, have been suffering with anxiety attacks again, not eating and sleeping properly, struggling to go to work, calling in sick because I can't face the world some days, getting up set and being emotional.....

And he hasn't done anything!!! He asked me how long I have felt like this and I told his about 6 months but has been worse over the last 3....and all he did was tell me to come back and see him next week if I still felt the same. I feel so much worse now. And let down.  Like maybe it's all in my head and there's nothing wrong with me.

It took me alot of time to build up the confidence to actually go back to the doctor and now I feel just worse than ever.

Can any body help me or suggest something I can do? Or maybe it is just me and there is nothing wrong. Please help.

craig84

• Karma Group
Re: Please can someone read this?? I need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:12:19 AM »
Your doctor should have done more to help!  Some are helpful some aren't,  if i was in your shoes right now I would book another appointment and tell the doctor your really struggling.  The fact you told him you have been suffering this for months should have been enough for him to continue treatment. 

Hope your ok
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 04:45:01 PM »
as craig said, your new doc should have done more, did you tell him the medication you were on helped?

if there are other docs at the practice then you could tell them you want to see another doc, some docs have very little understanding of depression.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
I agree with the others to go back and preferably see another doctor if you can.  Some doctors are better than others as they have a better understanding of depression.  A few years ago a doctor I had just didn't 'get' depression at all, wouldn't prescribe anti depressants as she didn't believe in them and suggested I go to Relate for counselling.  We found out Relate wasn't geared up really for depression let alone why I was depressed so I refused to see her again.