Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 2739 times)

Steed66

New to the forum
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:28:53 AM »
I have just joined here,im finding life difficult to cope with. I have been depressed for such a long time. Im very secretive and don't share much.
I don't have any friends, ive just about had enough.

craig84

• Karma Group
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:02:14 AM »
hey steed66,
Welcome to the forums!
Sorry to hear your struggling right now but well done for finding the courage to speak up on here, especially if your quite secretive it must have been hard for you.

does anyone know about your depression? are you receiving any treatment at all?
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

FluffySeal

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum Steed :)

I've recently been feeling the same way and only just joined a couple of days ago out of desperation.
I have no friends in person, and feel it is easier to speak on here rather than face to face.
No one here is judgemental so feel free to let out your feelings in your own time and terms; I have felt a little better by doing so for myself and hope that you can get something out of being on this forum too :)

Steed66

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 07:39:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Nobody really knows about the full extent of how bad i feel not even my wife. We are having problems with the marriage. I am not on any medication just now.

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:36 AM »
I don't want to pry, like fluffy said in your own time and when your ready. if this is the worst you've felt id suggest letting your gp know how your feeling and get the ball rolling on some treatment, this place is a wealth of information because so many people understand what we go through. every persons situation and experiences are different but the feelings are the same! helpless, lost, misunderstood, alone to name but a few. you did the right thing joining I hope it helps!
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

Steed66

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »
I have spoken to my gp, I first went about 3yrs ago, i tried taking citalopram. They did absolutely nothing. I stopped taking them and didn't go back to the gp, i just don't find him very supportive with depression. Everything else he is fine. Earlier this year i tried 2 other types of tablets, they wasn't any good, one made me like a zombie and i couldn't keep taking them because it was affecting my work.
I have to keep working because of circumstances at home and financial matters. The management at work haven't really helped much as they are part of the trouble with how i feel. All they seem to think is you can just cheer up and snap out of it.
I think i have had problems most of my life, im 47 now and even as a child i was unhappy and ive used drugs and alcohol to hide my pain

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
Hi Steed, welcome to the forums.
it does not help at all when management are like yours, as for the meds, there are quite a few around, maybe you need a combination of them.
also unfortunatly there is treatment resistant depression where the best meds can do is take the edge of things.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
 :welcome:

It can be a bit hit and miss at times with GPs.  When is was first 'officially' diagnosed with depression the GP I saw was great.  He sat and listened, told me I was severely depressed, suggested counselling and got me on anti depressants.  We moved a few months later I had the misfortune of having a GP who didn't believe in giving anti depressants.  She suggested that I went to Relate with my husband and son.  It was a jaw dropping moment and told her I wasn't going to waste my time as Relate weren't qualified to give the type of counselling I needed.

Steed66

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:40:13 PM »
My gp did suggest relate, because of the marriage problems but was unaware that it cost £50 per hour, he seemed to think it was free. I can't really afford that, and some of my issues are deeply personal and even my wife doesn't know about some of the things. We don't really communicate very good.

Becky123

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 12:47:20 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum hope you can find some support from people on here. With counselling have you asked your gp whether there is anything available on the nhs? Where I live there is but a very long waiting list. Also there's an affordable counselling service which varies in price according to how much you earn, I was told for me it would only be £10 per session. To find it I just googled "affordable counselling sheffield" dont know if that helps? Hopefully there may be something similar where you live.

Steed66

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 12:03:48 AM »
I have looked into nhs counselling, of course there is a long waiting list, and im concerned about whether work would give me time off, if the session was in work time. I have checked in my area and there is little or no support

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 11:47:34 AM »
Have you tried MIND which is charitable.  The do different types of things to help people with depression.