Author Topic: The "You Just Don't Understand" Disorder  (Read 4415 times)

BeccaLD

The "You Just Don't Understand" Disorder
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
Sorry but I need to rant, I don't care if anyone reads this or replies I just need to vent. I am sat here crying my eyes out like a moron. The last few days have done so well, we have had a family friends dog over to stay with us and taking him for walks and stuff has gotten me out of the house and he's kept me company, but he went home today. I know it's silly that a dog going away can make me feel bad but it's other stuff too. I'm still off work sick with depression and over the past few days I have had to deal with my boss telling me that she will not be paying me sick pay because I'm an apprentice and don't earn enough and that I have to go through the job centre, which I don't mind but it would have been much more helpful if she had told me that three weeks ago, rather than leaving my sick notes sitting on her desk and not telling me until I questioned why I had not been paid. I'm recently out of a long term relationship, my first of that kind and the loneliness is hurting, but I think that being away from him is a good thing, I have realised that he was poisonous. I just don't know what to do, nobody talks to me unless I talk to them first, nobody checks if I'm ok. The tip of the iceberg, something so minor, my mum asked me what I wanted for dinner and I told her that I wasnt hungry and that I'd sort it later. She said ok, twenty minutes later she comes in and tells me that she has plated up some pasta that she made especially for me, I told her that I still wasn't hungry and that I hadn't been lying when I had said that. She proceeded to have a go at me because she'd made four separate meals for the family...I hadn't asked her too. For some reason it just set me off, I burst out crying, I've cut myself a bit to just release it. It's like I feel like I'm going to explode and I need a physical action.

Liv

• Karma Group
Re: The "You Just Don't Understand" Disorder
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
This is a good place to rant. Obviously having depression tends to make you feel alienated and it doesn't help when you just want to keep telling people that they will never understand unless they have been through it. Luckily I have a mum who understands a lot more than most. Apart from that I tend to withdraw from other friends and family because I feel uncomfortable around them and I start to feel like I'm not being given the support that I need. At least you know that people here understand.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
I would have been ranting just on the grounds of not being paid and not being told to go to the job centre if I had been in your shoes.  It's a matter of principle and she should have got in touch with you.

Animals are great though for being a comfort.  We have two dogs, two budgies and a cat ~ the dogs know my moods so tend to keep close when I'm feeling low.   

stac23

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:57:21 PM »
I know exactly how you feel, I'm off sick from work too at the moment, into my second week and the boredom is getting to me but if I was in work I would be worse so I can't win, I have 3 dauchunds (sausage doggies) and last night felt really emotional and went and just had a cuddle with them, dogs can really help, also just out of a relationship, was very emotional and damaging, lets just say when I met him he just left his wife and had a 1 yr old and a baby on way, what a bad situation to put myself in but we fell in love and the relationship was so complicated and I got very hurt due to the situation, not good for a depression sufferer, so I know exactly how you feel, I think best thing to do is to remove yourself from the bad situation but like you said it's extremely difficult and very loanly to suddenly be on your own again, it does get easier with time, iv been through a few relationships like that and every time it hurts just as much but is getting easier to get over, just look after yourself and try listening to relaxing spa music on YouTube that helps me when feeling like I wana kick a wall :bash:

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
can relate to everything you've said and agree with stac23 its best to remove yourself from a bad situation although its easier said than done so hats off to both of your for doing the right thing. my dog has been my savior id be lost without him, if it made you that much better by getting you out your environment you should look into dog walking. theres a website dogwalkingmow.co.uk where you can register and get paid for walking dogs... its something if you don't have your own dog :)

the only real support I get with my depression comes from myself and this site to be honest... people in my family know I suffer with it but although I know they care .... they don't have a clue how to support me. its very generic the support they give...  id expect them to know me better than anyone else and see what id need help with but they don't help... they just don't know how to so like all of us to an extent, because in the end we do all the work... im a lone ranger.

your in a place where the "you just don't understand disorder" is understood by everyone so your as safe as houses on here :) 
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

ParsnipPierre

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
Hey folks,
Couldn't agree more with the title of this post.  People in my life do not get my depression, there is only one person in my life who gets it, as she suffers from depression too.  I have tried numerous times to talk to my parents but I get the "you shouldn't be depressed at your age" so give up then trying to explain how I feel.  My friends don't get the suicidal thoughts and destructive behaviour, as they think these tendencies can just be erased.  I found cutting myself also as a release it is like all your internal anger just evaporates.  I used to do it every couple of days but since my mirtazapine has been increased to 45mg I find it is once a week so it has improved.  I am far from happy and still hate my life but the face that the dose increase has took the edge off my symptoms and just gets me from sunrise to sunset is all I need.  This forum has helped me a lot, the people on here are pretty much all in the same boat so I don't mind talking about stuff that I would find tremendously difficult with friends and family cos someone WILL understand.  This is the place I come to if I am in my most vulnerable state.  Works the age old problem it gives your day meaning and purpose and will keep you occupied but it can also have the opposite effect and make your depression worse.  Because my work colleagues and family don't know about my depression, despite the doctor offering me a sick note I couldn't take it due to the tin of worms it would open.  Had I taken it I couldn't have dealt with being at home with fussy parents!  Hope things pick up for you soon Becca.
PP
"Don’t depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness"

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
one of the classics my dad said about my depression was "you cant be depressed, your my son" ... like being his offspring safeguards me from this illness....

I think regardless of how people claim to understand us or our illnesses they wont truly be on the same page as us unless they have been through it themselves or someone they are close to have.

that's why I think places like this are so important, having an illness that can pretty much isolate you from everything can be the most lonely thing to go though. makes all the difference when you can relate to other people who have had similar experiences!