Author Topic: Finally signed up!  (Read 2648 times)

Ljr

Finally signed up!
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:47:29 PM »
Hi everyone.
I have trawled this website for months but never signed up as I haven't wanted to tell my story before.
I probably still don't.
But I finally bit the bullet and registered last night.

I was diagnosed with depression late last year but know deep down I have had it for a long time!
I'm only 21 but have had the life of a middle aged person! Sometimes I take a step back, look at my life and wonder how I'm still here. Most people go through a hard time but my 'hard times' never seem to end.

I have recently suffered a bereavement and have serve financial problems. I feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown but don' want to tell a pprofessional that as they will surely laugh me out their office due to my age.

I just feel like I'm at the end of tether and cannot take anything anymore.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Finally signed up!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 02:24:10 PM »
Hi Ljr, welcome to the forume,
bereavement  on top of depression is a very hard road to be on, (there myself).

feeling like your older than you are can also be part of depression, but im sure a professional would not laugh at you (if they were any good)
are you on any meds? you could have a chat with your doc and see if they will give you something to help.

Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Ljr

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
Hi Stewart.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes. I'm on anti Ds meds. Fluxotine.

Who do you suggest I ask my GP to speak to? The only 'mental hearth professional' I have ever spoken to was my school councilor when I was in school back in 2006/2007.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
Hi again Ljr, there are a few organizations around, but the one that seems to be mentioned the most is MIND, they have some very good support workers there

Ljr

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
MIND... Never heard of them before but just Google'd them. My local centre isn't too far away, will email them to get some more info on what support they offer. When I know, I'll post a topic to let others know.

Thanks for the suggestion Stewart.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
glad to be of help Ljr, my support worker is great with them.
he will take me to the shop if i need to go, or even do shopping for me if i dont want to go out.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
I wouldn't let your age worry you. If you look at when people become ill first, you will find that there is a peak for depression, bipolar, and schizophrenia at a few years either side of 21. You are not unusual you are spot on for a new diagnosis.

MIND do a very good job but they a charity not a service provided by law. I lived in Lincolnshire and MIND simply didn't exist. The core service these days is
the Community Mental Health Team. Coverage of the country should be complete. MIND have been known to charge for their services especially counselling. The CMHT should be completely free. There are services that you might not get from MIND. I have never yet run across a MIND branch that employed a psychiatrist, though maybe I haven't been around enough. CMHT's employ their own.

It might be worth having a word with your GP about the relative merits of MIND and CMHT's
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Liv

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
Hi Ljr, I'm 23 and first went to the doctor's to speak to them about treatment for depression when I was 17. I have seen quite a few therapists/counsellors over the years and generally age hasn't been much of an issue so don't let that be something to hold you back from seeking help. Depression can hit anyone and it's a typical thing for us to think 'I shouldn't be depressed anyway, I'm just being stupid/pathetic/lazy' or whatever. If you feel terrible, you deserve help and no one should make you bad for trying to find it.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
 :sign0016:

Depression affects all sorts of people in different ways, all ages and so on.  I've suffered with depression since my early teens which became severe when I was 19 yet I didn't officially get diagnosed for many years.  I had it drummed into me that I was moody, needed to pull myself together and so on so wouldn't see a doctor for fear of them telling me the same.  When I did it was as if a great weight had been taken off my shoulders.  Unfortunately there is still a stigma to depression.  You've already been given good advice :biggrin: so just wanted to say hi as well.

craig84

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:39:31 PM »
mine started at 7 when my parents separated but I didn't get help until after I was hospitalised when I was 24... that's when the diagnosis came in for depression after a suicide attempt... never thought id ever be in that situation...

hope your still showing up in the forums anyway ljr :) 
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”