Author Topic: Vitamin D or B12?  (Read 5965 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Vitamin D or B12?
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
I've been off my AD (Citalopram) for about 3 or 4 months now and I'm feeling better off it than I did on it, but I'm already dreading the darker months because on top of psychotic depression I get really bad SAD too and this'll be my first year in 1.5 decades that I won't have the Citalopram to keep me on the level.

When I had my vitamin levels checked last year or earlier this year or whenever it was I was found to be low in both Vitamin D and B12 but I can't remember if it was the first injection of the D or B12 that boosted my mood within seconds of it being pushed through the syringe.

I'm guessing it was the D because that's the one that goes crashing through the floor because of less sunlight, but could it be B12 as well?  Should I just ask for a weekly dose of D to see me through the darker months or will my GP laugh me out of the surgery?

I'm happy to be off the AD after so long, but I know that the darker months will really affect me when the clocks go back, just like it has since I was a child.

Should I just shut up and take things as they come just for this year with just my morning cocktail of supplements or am I doing the best thing to start to slowly get prepared for it 3 months early?

I appreciate that you can't give medical advice, I'm just after opinions from fellow sufferers is all   :-\
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Vitamin D or B12?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:13:56 PM »
I've never taken Vitamin D so can't comment, have had B12 injections in the past but was on citalipram and I didn't see any change in my mood  :chin:

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Vitamin D or B12?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:41:34 AM »
Thank you Pip.  I'm guessing it's D 'cos that's produced in your body via the sun which goes to sleep during the darker months, so I'll try and remember to ask my GP about getting a top-up of D just once a week or whatever   :happy0158:
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.