Author Topic: "Modern Spirituality"  (Read 7369 times)

Catbrian

"Modern Spirituality"
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
This past little while I have been thinking a lot about spirituality and what exactly it means to me.   %$£

I do not consider my spirituality to be a part of any religious ideation, although its core beliefs probably originate from there.  I like to think my search is more organic; more ‘Spirit’ led.  

There is no definitive definition to the term “Spirituality”, it means something different to each of us.  While some will attach it to their religious beliefs, “modern spirituality” can be separate from religion.  For many, spirituality is not a thing or an object.  It is free from any preconceived judgements of what’s right or wrong.

For me, spirituality is a journey of self-discovery, in search of meaning, purpose, and even direction on the more optimistic days.  It is not stagnant in one particular belief.  I have always explored other ideas and practices, with the sole purpose of connecting to the “higher self” - the spirit/soul.

Spirituality means a great deal to my recovery from mental illness.  It helps restore a feeling of purpose and fulfilment, inner peace and harmony.

I wonder if are there others who feel their spirituality or religious beliefs help their depression.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:26:54 PM by Catb »

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
Re: "Modern Spirituality"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
Cat I believe that I have people watching over me. This helps me. Don't know if its really spiritual but that's my belief.

S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »
That's very spiritual..  The Spiritualist church, and some other's, believe in "Spirit Guides", which I would also believe.  Angels is another popular belief

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »
I have an angels wing that is on my keys. My granddaughter got it for me. I also talk to my dad who we lost 22 years ago. He is one of the people I believe watches over me.

S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

mar42

• Karma Group
  • Thank the lord for shades :)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »
Hi cat,i had a really nice experience a few months ago,it only lasted for 4 days,i wasn't doing anything different than my usual routine,i hadn't been feeling particularly good or bad, I woke at 6am and went to my front room,i was staring out at the sky & i had a feeling that everything was completely ok,i felt connected to something,Im not sure what? i felt that everyone & everything was connected (just thought of the kevin bacon advert) but it definitely felt spiritual (what ever that is) i felt great for 4 days,i really thought my depression had lifted for good,unfortunately not,but it was a lovely 4 days.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 10:13:03 PM »
I believe we all have a guardian angel

Catbrian

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I would like to think we all have a guardian angel. What Shaz says rings very true.  I think, if we believe and are open with awareness, we can experience "spirit" on a daily basis. Similar to what mar42 describes.  Recently I've become more aware of the benefits from what I understand to be 'mindfulness' and meditation.  There are people who dedicate their lives to these practices as a means of battling depression and is something I am becoming more involved with.  It takes considerable discipline to live in the "here and now"; you don't grieve for the past or worry about the future.  Instead, you live in the beauty of the moment.

That is a very difficult practice to stick too, especially if your mind is so used to being full of so much turbulence, like mine.  Changing long-standing habits can feel impossible sometimes.  But, I always say, the blessings come from trying and if I can introduce this 'mindful practice' to even just a few moments each day, then I feel achievement.  The more I think about it, the more I catch my mind wandering off ruminating about one problem or another.  The less ruminating I do, the less stress, anxiety and resentments are floating around my world.  There's a lot to be said about living in the 'here and now'

mar42

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
I agree with you cat,mindfulness is really important,hard to stick to ,but important to remember,i wouldn't wish depression on anyone,but it has taught me to appreciate the small things in life,which are so easy to take for granted,i keep meaning to make a daily gratitude list. When the fog lifts,i lose interest in these things & i really should stick with them.

Catbrian

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
Mar42.... when I am up to my neck in depression, spirituality or mindfulness is the furthest from my mind, it's the same for most of us, so please don't think you're alone.  When we are engulfed in "the fog", not much else exists.

I think you're right about depression teaching us some very valuable lessons.  We almost become different people and our mind visits places we would not wish on our worst enemy.  It is true that from our tears come joy and from our tears come a deeper meaning of life.

mar42

• Karma Group
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I have only been here for a short period cat,but you always make perfect sense. I wrote in another post "do other people suffer,like i am" of course we know people do,but depression has the tendesy to make you feel you're the only one. I was reading a booklet on stress last night & i thought this was a good little saying... "The trouble with us is that we compare our insides with other peoples outsides" i could really relate to that.

Catbrian

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »
Yes, I do like that quote