Author Topic: Still unemployed  (Read 4335 times)

Ohdaddy

• Karma Group
Still unemployed
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »
What do you have to do do to get work?????? I'm not asking for much, enough money to keep the wolf from the door and run the car. Supply teaching has dried up to next to nothing - I have worked for a month!!!  I got turned down today for a teaching assistant job, a job I could do standing on my head. It makes me so mad - every job gets turned down in the same mealy mouthed way "on this occasion you were unsuccessful." "Why?"  "We took on somebody with more experience, more relevant experience....etc. etc etc." 

I've got two degrees, I'm a qualified teacher, experienced at teaching adults and children and I even got turned down by asda!!!

I feel like turning up at that school and slitting my wrist in front of them with the words "what do you want, fxxxxxx blood?"  Bxxxxxxxxds!!

I want to teach adults or assess NVQs but every advert I see states they are looking for experience...... how do I get that experience? 

I have a lot to give but no one seems to want to take me on........ ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHhhhhhh!

Rant over.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Still unemployed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
I can imagine it being very frustrating, is being a private tutor an option for you?

Ohdaddy

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »
I don't mind doing that - I did talk to a local tutoring company who thought they could use me but they have never got back to me. Starting to think that I am unemployable or they have spotted that there is something wrong with me.

woozywoo

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:24 PM »
Ohdaddy, I am sure there is nothing wrong with you. Lots of people are in a similar situation. I made myself unemployedmat christmas due to ill health. I am not ready to work, but was hoping to do some supply work maybe from March/April onwards. This was my concern about leaving my job at christmas, but I didn't really have too much of a choice.

I don't really know what to suggest other than, keep going! I'm sure something will come up for you, I really hope so. You might need to share some job hunting tips with me in a few months .... haha

broken_record

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
completely sympathise.

i'm lucky that i have a job but i want a new one and i want to move from the industry i'm in to something different and every interview i've had has been "we think you're brilliant but you dont have enough experience" and you dont get experience without a job.

it's hard to come by a job right now. so many peoiple are unemployed that companies can basically ask for whatever they want and get someone who has uber qualifications for next to no pay.

you just have to keep trying. someone will give you a chance.

oh and slitting your wrists (even if metaphorically) won't help!

alex1973

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »
Its not your fault you cant get a job. Not that that is any consilation I know. I went around kitchens, pubs, hotels taking my CV and dropping it off at places and heard nothing. Then one day I was passing a restaurant near where I live advertising and went in and thankfully they gave me a chance to prove my worth. Seems to be a case of being in the right place at the right time, knowing someone who can offer you a job, or just sheer plugging away till eventually something turns up. I know how frustrating it is though and not nice.

Ohdaddy

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:43:02 AM »
You were right = some work has just come up through an agency. Part time but it will give me a steady income for a while and good experience. Give me something to think about other than feeling sorry for myself!!

alex1973

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
thats great news. I dont think you were feeling sorry for yourself, give yourself a break, its tough out there and you have a good CV and were still getting snubbed. Thats not easy for someone who is trying to find work.

We didnt sit on our laurels and resign ourselves to the fact that its tough out there with little chance of a job, we got out there and kept trying. Rather than feeling sorry for yourself I would say you were actually quite positive in keeping trying and that has eventually paid off. A person feeling sorry for themselves would be someone who sat and did nothing but then complained they couldnt find a job.