Author Topic: data usage  (Read 8738 times)

Catbrian

data usage
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:41:11 PM »
This past month, I am in constant dispute with 3 network regarding data usage.  My monthly data allowance is not lasting the usual month.  For an hours connection to the Forum with a quick visit to Gmail, I am using 7-8mb of data.  One day last week, I was only connected to the Forum for 7hrs; that visit cost 34mb of data.  %$£

Can anyone confirm what data should be used while on the Forum?

Many thanks,

Cat

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: data usage
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »
Hi Cat, I'd suggest a pm to Pip

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Catbrian

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:24:23 AM »
ok thanks zaf

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »
if you cant get Pip send a pm to The Parson, he sorts the technical stuff behind the scenes

Z xxx

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »
I don't think it should be using a lot as it's mainly text.  It depends on what package you're on and what your allowance is.  Also the amount of emails you're receiving and sending can affect how much mb you're using and if there are any updates going on in the background.  However the actual forums wont use up much.   

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
Well, I've had technicians from three network come on my comp and turn off 'updating automatically'.  The last few months, it has never cost as much data and I'm not doing much.  If anything I've been on the Forum less but I seem to run out of data before the end of month.  Something aint right.  Three net just called.  They are irritating; perfect english based in the Philipines (wrong spelling) and they all speak with the same extremely sickly sweet tone that annoys the hell outa me.  Anyway, ''complaining-cat'' has told her I want to escalate or elevate my complaint to an independent body.  She is sending me the last two months data usage so I can compare.  I also read Pip's PM and she understood more that the Forum is mainly text; before I didn't know how best to describe the lay out.  I just
knew it is basic format, no ads, etc (which is what I love the most about this Forum)

Anyway... I'm no further forward, but I can't continue topping up my account if it continues to rob me blind!  I wonder how much the dongles for TMob are.  Anyone any idea? 

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:29:59 PM »
No idea about dongles Cat, sorry

Z xxx

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
T-Mobile dongles cost £15 per month for 1GB.  Have you done and Sand D (search and destroy) on your computer?

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »
data useage can be confusing, when you look at any page on the net it all adds up, particularly any graphics on there, even small pics can all add up.
 as has been mentioned turn off auto updates, for everything, not just windows.

also, if you want to speed up your system a bit, get into but if you can, go into GPEDIT.msc and MSCONFIG.
remember what you do there, so you can change things back if you need.
if you are adventurous, get into regedit, but be very careful there.... very easy to mess up the system.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water