Author Topic: Comfort in Atheism  (Read 6755 times)

Got

• Karma Group
Comfort in Atheism
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »

Many people who are religious claim to derive comfort from their beliefs. I am wondering if the atheists here derive any comfort from their own atheistic beliefs and whether or not they think religion really does provide any more comfort than a non religious belief system can.

Steve

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Comfort in Atheism
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »
I think you need to define religious Steve, I have beliefs but not sure if they would be considered religious, they do help me in my daily life and probably do give me some comfort
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »

I agree. By religion I mean those who have the beliefs (and really belief deserves an explanation because often people don't really believe when they think they do) of organised religions, those who believe in a god/gods, and those who believe in spiritual afterlife.

I am interested if some people who are atheists have found their beliefs upsetting rather than comforting.

As an atheist my beliefs are based on all the evidence that we have pointing towards consciousness as being an evolved trait that allows us to operate effectively within our environment, so that we can live, breed and pass on our genes. There isn't any other reason to believe that this consciousness exists after death any more than the rest of your body does. This doesn't upset me at all, when I die I won't be alive and so I will not be unhappy, my time to experience emotions is whilst I am alive, and during that time I will try my best to make the most of it. When we are gone it is down to others to enjoy their lives and operate in the world, and we should try to secure the best future for them possible.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 04:43:10 PM »
I probably loosely fit into religion but I tend to think of it as a faith as 'religion' makes me think very much of something very organised with a heirachy and rituals and both of those I am firmly against wanting to have anything to do with.

I have been athiest in the past, probably till my mid 40's then I drifted into one of the more unusual pagan faiths and from there via several eastern religions/faiths to where I am presently.

As an athiest my beliefs didnt upset me at all but I have found peace with my current ones

Z xx

mrmoody

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »
Its comforting to think theres no hell and I am not going to go to it when I die. That there isnt some father figure up there(wherever up there is supposed to be) that is constantly watching and judging me. I understand why people find comfort in their faiths. I can now understand why people find comfort in aethism too.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »
You just made me think of a slightly naughty athiest joke  :-[

mrmoody

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
you can tell me in private if you like?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
OK lol, its not rude or anything but thought it might offend some people