Author Topic: OCD?  (Read 7507 times)

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
OCD?
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
You're probably thinking 'that girl thinks she has nearly everything wrong with her, why doesn't she just shut up? ' But please hear me out. I have had certain little rituals that I have done for a while and I'd like some opinions of whether this is really just normal behaviour.

I wash my hands for no reason at all.

I have to have brushed my teeth before the post arrives.

The books in my school bag have to be colour co ordinated.

I have to sit in the same seat for every class, I can't change seats in that class.

I have to walk to the bus stop on the same route every day, there are several different ways of getting to the bus stop but I have to go one way.

I have to go to the bathroom twice before I go to sleep.

I have to get ready in the same order every morning.

I pack my school things in the order of the next day.

I see flaws in something and I become obsessed with it and can't get it out of my head.

Sometimes I have thoughts and I think about them all day, I don't think about nothing else and then I dream about it too. It can make me ill.

Please help, is this normal behavior? Or with this and all my other problems am I just completely messed up?
Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough I don't know why;'
Lana Del Rey

Got

• Karma Group
Re: OCD?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Hmmm....its hard to say from what you have written. You do seem obsessive and perhaps you also score highly for neuroticism. You may have OCD traits but this doesn't mean you have the disorder as such. I don't see anything particularly unusual about your behaviour, obsessions are quite normal.

Since you are concerned about this you should mention it to your doctor. This is yet another reason who you need to be in contact with the CAHMS, so that your concerns can be taken seriously.

Steve

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
Thanks Steve xx

I will speak to my doctor about it when I see her Tuesday xx
Lana Del Rey

sad sack

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
some of that sounds normal - like walking the same route to the bus stop, going to the toilet before sleep, washing hands...

some of it sounds a bit odd - brushing teeth before the post... but then maybe you just fancy the postman... :p

some of it just sounds organised - your books, and your bag.

I wouldn't worry about it, and wouldn't be trying to label any name tag on to these things...

Don't that this as a personal dig, but I have noticed more and more that OCD seems to be the "in thing" at the moment, everyone seems to want it, or be associated with it....  ::) ::) ::) ::)

There was a good program on recently about people who really suffer this type of thing and it's far more life debilitating than walking to the bus stop the same route every day... just relax a little bit... and just try and sit in a different seat... the world WILL NOT stop because of it...  $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$

:thumb:

CharleysAngel'

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »
Thanks for reassuring me sad sack xx

I  do not fancy the postman though :P xx
Lana Del Rey

sad sack

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:14:05 PM »
yeah yeah... I believe you....

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

:D

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »

Don't that this as a personal dig, but I have noticed more and more that OCD seems to be the "in thing" at the moment, everyone seems to want it, or be associated with it....  ::) ::) ::) ::)

There was a good program on recently about people who really suffer this type of thing and it's far more life debilitating than walking to the bus stop the same route every day... just relax a little bit... and just try and sit in a different seat... the world WILL NOT stop because of it...  $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$

:thumb:

Some people think they have it because they don't really know what it is and because they can identify with some of its traits. Many people who have a high level of neuroticism in their psychology think they have OCD, However, you are considered to have OCD when a large portion of your day is consumed by performing compulsions. Worrying and having the odd obsession isn't really OCD.

It can be quite upsetting to people who genuinely do have it to hear someone say, ''oh, I have a bit of that,'' but personally it doesn't upset me, I just try to point out what OCD actually is.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:56:58 PM by Stevie »