Author Topic: Scientists make a new discovery that can help treat depression  (Read 7626 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Scientists make a new discovery that can help treat depression
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »
Thanks to "optogenetics" (a research technique developed in 2005, described as a method which has "revolutionized the fields of bioengineering and neuroscience") scientists are gradually able to understand better how the brain works. Today, they've announced that they have found the brain pathway that creates (or inhibits in the case of depression) motivation.
This shows two things 1) depressed people aren't lazy, biology of the brain shows their neuronic pathways related to motivation are not working properly 2) scientists are going to be able to use this to create new treatments in the future. (They have already been able to artificially create a surge in motivation in rodents by stimulating specific neurons, likewise, they've been able to replicate the effects of depression by stimulating other neurons which, once stimulated, create a distinct loss of motivation.)
Well done docs lol, I can't wait for the day when, like BBC last time with the meningitis vaccine, we get told about an instant cure for depression :)
The article is here: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-11-optogenetics-illuminates-pathways-brain.html?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Scientists make a new discovery that can help treat depression
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
Thanks bookletters, it would be lovely if something could be found to help us better

Z xxx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
Well, science is moving fast, it really is....
I always remember the example of my father in law where people in his childhood died because there weren't any antibiotics. The brain may be the last frontier but things are moving real fast. I'd be surprised if in 10 years time depression treatments weren't totally different :)

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »
Sounds interesting, but surly it would greatly depend on the cause of a persons depression
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks bookletters, it would be lovely if something could be found to help us better

Medication !!

Jon

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
Zaf, have you tried meditation? I'm learning about Mindfulness at the moment and following some of that practice's meditation exercises. I can report a very positive effect as I'm slowly learning to live properly in the moment without being afraid of my own thoughts. Early days but it seems to be working for me.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »
Yes Jon, I meditate most days and try to do things mindfully as much as I can, it does help a lot but I struggle to be disciplined with it if I get very low

Z xx

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

I've let mine slip:(

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
Its easy to do Steve when we arent well, dont feel guilty but try to get back to meditating if you can, even if its only for a few minutes at a time or intermittently

Z xxx