Author Topic: The importance of exercise  (Read 8205 times)

pamela.smith80

The importance of exercise
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:10 AM »
Doing exercise is a good way to cope with depression. It supports nutrion, boosts self steem, enhances meditation, and cleases the body. This article is about it. It explains all the benefits of doing sports, how it helps with depression and provides some suggestions. I hope you find it useful.

http://www.haveigotaproblem.com/download/23/Self-Help-Exercise

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: The importance of exercise
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
thanks for the link,  my problem is that with agorophobia I find it difficult getting out to exercise, even when the panic attacks let me go and walk I find getting the motivation incredibly difficult :(

Zx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »
I tried to start running again a couple of months ago... I managed it for about a week until my agrophobia took over  ::) Since then though I have been doing one of Davina McCalls exercise DVDS, sometimes I manage it everyday and sometimes its just a couple of times a week when I am low and struggiling with motivation. It makes me extreamly tired, but I think that coupled with a healthier diet it is helping. Xx
This too shall pass.

Sallas

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »
Pamela, your only post seem to be promting a site on various different articles. I think its sick anyone would promote a site here unless it was with geniune intent to help people.

Beetzart

• Karma Group
  • 'Billions and billions of stars'
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:39 PM »
I agree with you Sallas, I did wonder what the motivation was when I saw it earlier.  After a quick look around the linked website I am still undecided whether it is a private therapist touting for business or just an informational presentation or charity. 

As for the issue of depression and excercise, on a personal level, I find that it can help a little.  I don't mind going for a mile or two walk in the evening if the weather is fine but for me it doesn't shrug off the blackdog completely.  Ok, it is good for milder forms of depression, but so is St John's Wort.  For me part of coming out of depression involves good meds, sincere people to talk to, and plenty of rest!

Sallas

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:49:53 PM »
Personally when im sitting staring at a box of pills excerise is the last thing on my mind. And if my problems could be solved with excerice i would have joined a gym years ago but thats just me.

I hate to accuse but i think the post would have been personalised if they werent ads. Its the same robot speak. May e the site has good intentions on the other end but it just seems wrong to me.

Munchroom

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »
I think as you say... Excercise is a 'part' of getting better. I have been fighting this for almost 2 years and it has taken a lot to get me veey recently to the point where excersice is even a possibility. I didn't mean for my post to come across as saying it will magically make the depression go away, because it won't and I know from my own experiences that someone telling you to go and excercise when its hard enough to get out of bed in the morning is the very last thing you want to hear.

I haven't looked at the link, but I do feel that using this site for self advertising is wrong.

Nay x
This too shall pass.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »
''improve Mindfulness. Exercise makes the body feel stronger and healthier. Since the body connects to the mind, the effect is an increased ability to practice and achieve mindfulness and meditation skills.''

As clear as mud

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
I have to agree with above posts, I am now going to the gym and swimming.  But when I was bad I found it hard enough to get out of bed let alone exercise.  If someone had told me to exercise then I would have just burst into tears.  I think we all just have to find what is right for us individually and jst do what we can cope with at the time, putting to much pressure on someone with depression just knocks us backwards.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.