Author Topic: How long is it safe to take Prozac (Fluoxetine) for?  (Read 5468 times)

RichardDeckard

How long is it safe to take Prozac (Fluoxetine) for?
« on: January 26, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
Hi All,

I've been taking fluoxetine, the generic version of Prozac for 5 years now. Together with changing my lifestyle (I used to binge drink when stressed, so decided to become teetotal 5 years ago), I am 20 times better in terms of depression and anxiety than I was 5 or 6 years ago.

I have 2 questions - the one of the thread title - how long can I safely take Prozac for? This should be taken in the context that I feel I've always had a depressive personality since I can remember, and I've always had bad bouts of obsession and anxiety since I can remember. As above, all of this is massively better since changing my lifestyle, the fluoxetine and changing my attitude as a result of hard work and the help from the medication.

^ I don't feel the need to stop medication given my long experience of mood disorders, so I'm happy to keep taking a medicine, provided it's not harmful to do so. I have been quite lax with after care from my doctor ongoing on how long I should take fluoxetine I must admit, largely as I've achieved a good deal in my career in the last 5 years, but with changing jobs and exams, there's never been a good time to taper off Prozac, as I do have a lot of stress in my life. I've therefore left such questions to my doctor to quite an infrequent and casual basis.

My second question is that I do feel fluoxetine is losing its effect, although I only take 20mg per day. I have over the last year or two had very low energy and motivation a lot of the time - to the point where I have to sleep for an hour during the day after work, that sort of thing and at weekends. I therefore wondered what general anti depressants were indicated to help with lack of energy and motivation please, as if I continue to take medication I feel a change of anti depressant could be a good idea.

Many thanks !  :)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: How long is it safe to take Prozac (Fluoxetine) for?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »
I took fluorextine for about 3 years with no noticeable problems but it began to lose effectiveness too, I'm now on citralopram, possibly for life.  It might be worth going back to your GP who ought to know more about the safety of taking fluorexetine long term and whether or not it might be worth changing your meds
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
I  have never taken prozac, but I was on Citalopram for a few years, then that stopped working for me, now on Duloxetine (Cymbalta).  So I agree with Zaf its maybe worth having a chat with your dr to discuss how you have been feeling.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

RichardDeckard

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »
Good stuff guys, a chat with my doctor sounds good. If you go from an SSRI to another SSRI or SNRI like Effexor, do you have to taper off and wait before changing meds? Or is that just the MAOI type meds?

I ask because I have an important exam for work in a couple of months so need minimum disruption (and tapering off meds affects my memory I find)

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
When I went from Citalopram to Duloxetine it was under the mental health team Phych doc. So he changed me straight over but put me on Clonazepam during the first couple of weeks, over that 2 weeks I gradually tapered off the Clonazepam.  This time when I got bad again my gp gave me just a weeks worth of Clonazepam, just to help me through the first few days.  He was not able to give me more.  He explained that he was not supposed to as last time it was prescribed by the phych doc.

Speak to your dr and see what he says.

Hope this helps

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

RichardDeckard

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
Will do Shaz, though I wouldn't be able to take benzos due to their effect on memory and cognition, and therefore my studies.

I will see what my dr's ideas are!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
I cant remember how I changed but I do remember my depression getting worse for 4-6 weeks, possibly worth waiting till after your exams but definitely a good idea to speak to your GP in the meantime

xwardx

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:51:40 PM »
Zaf I'm on citalopram too I also used to be on Fluoxetine for around 2 years, do you have to go see doctor when you're taking citalopram or can I just keep getting repeat prescriptions do you know? Also can you safely be on citalopram forever? x

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
I used to have to go every 3 months but now its only once a year and I just order repeat perscriptions but if I do go for anything else he asks how things are going on it.

My doctor said I may have to be on antidepressants for life at a maintenance dose and didnt mention the possible need to change to a different type so I guess it must be safe to take it at those levels long term xx