Author Topic: Mirtazapine help  (Read 7961 times)

MrF

Mirtazapine help
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
Hi all. Hope someone can help.

I've been on various SSRIs for about three years now. They all worked for a while but then started losing their effect.

Just before Christmas my GP put me onto Fluoxitine which really disagreed with me so they decided to try a different approach and put me onto Mirtazapine. This seemed to start really well but now I'm getting problems.

I'm tired all of the time, not just spaced out tired but tired as in I could sleep for hours.
I've constantly got a headache.
I'm getting really agitated.
I'm getting really annoyed easily.
I can't be bothered with anything.

Are these just side effects or more serious? At the moment I feel like just stopping it as in some ways I feel worse than before.

Any ideas?

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: Mirtazapine help
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:27:49 PM »
All the symptoms apart the headache are 'normal' for depression but if you are worried I'd suggest going back to your GP and ask his advice
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

MrF

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
All the symptoms apart the headache are 'normal' for depression but if you are worried I'd suggest going back to your GP and ask his advice
I know. That's why I'm on anti depressants. I haven't had these other feelings on my previous medications and I'm concerned that this new medication might not be agreeing with me.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
I'd suggest getting an appointment to see your GP and voice your concerns

MrF

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:28 PM »
I'd suggest getting an appointment to see your GP and voice your concerns
I'll call them on Monday. Might get an appointment by the end of the week if I am lucky!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
I know the feeling :(

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
When you ring up say you think you are having side affects of the medicine and need a referal ASAP. because you cannot just stop taking them.
Always sound urgent when you ring. I tend to get in pretty quick.

MrF

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
When you ring up say you think you are having side affects of the medicine and need a referal ASAP. because you cannot just stop taking them.
Always sound urgent when you ring. I tend to get in pretty quick.
I might get you to call them.

Dobbie

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
Hi MrF, just wanted you to know that you are not alone with those side effects of taking mirtazapine. Over Christmas I had just about had enough. I was constantly getting angry and upset to the point that my wife sent me packing. It was really horrible. I tried telling my doctor who just said I had to stick with the meds. In the end I decided to stop taking them myself and am waiting to see a new doctor. It was the best thing I could have done. Having said that, i took a big risk in stopping the meds without any support, as such i agree with the others here in that you should go back to your dr ASAP and discuss the alternatives. As for me, I am back with my wife who can't believe what the mirtazapine done to me. Good luck in what you decide.

MrF

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:16 PM »
Hi MrF, just wanted you to know that you are not alone with those side effects of taking mirtazapine. Over Christmas I had just about had enough. I was constantly getting angry and upset to the point that my wife sent me packing. It was really horrible. I tried telling my doctor who just said I had to stick with the meds. In the end I decided to stop taking them myself and am waiting to see a new doctor. It was the best thing I could have done. Having said that, i took a big risk in stopping the meds without any support, as such i agree with the others here in that you should go back to your dr ASAP and discuss the alternatives. As for me, I am back with my wife who can't believe what the mirtazapine done to me. Good luck in what you decide.

Thanks, glad I'm not alone.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:08:21 PM »
Hi, wondered if you could maybe book a phone call with your dr?  If you cannot get an appointment to see him/her quickly.  Tell the receptionist thats its urgent as you are concerned about how you are feeling.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

MrF

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
Hi, wondered if you could maybe book a phone call with your dr?  If you cannot get an appointment to see him/her quickly.  Tell the receptionist thats its urgent as you are concerned about how you are feeling.

S x

If only... It can take a week for a phone appointment!

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
My goodness thats crazy.  We are very lucky here, get to see our dr the same day if we ring early.  Sorry I know that doesn't help you in your situation.

You will just have to say its urgent, do they have a duty dr on?  Even if its not your dr you can ask for advice.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:11 PM »
I thought surgeries had to keep a certain amount of appointments available every day for emergencies?

MrF

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
I thought surgeries had to keep a certain amount of appointments available every day for emergencies?

They do, but with my GP you have to be dead to even be considered.