Author Topic: St John's Wort  (Read 4191 times)

Rebel Ian

• Karma Group
St John's Wort
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
I'm confused! This morning the GP suggested St John's Wort and I've read a couple of posts on here about it. Having gone and bought some capsules it clearly states on the back "DO NOT take if you have been diagnosed as depressed or are feeling depressed."

Is this because they are suggesting you should seek guidance from your GP in these instances? In the absence of prescription medicine, I'm trying it anyway!

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Re: St John's Wort
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »
SJW is a well known herbal remedy for mild depression so it seems very strange to state that on the packet, I'd guess you might be right about the reason.  I've taken it in the past but it didnt help me but you might it does for you :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:35:33 PM »
Probably just covering themselves, I know I tried it when I was first depressed and my dr told me to stop taking it when she prescribed anti-depressants for me.  It obviouly should not be taken when you are on prescribed meds.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:56 PM »
As shav has said Please do not take it if you are on medication for depression. It can counter out the affects and you can overdose. i know because i have.

it is also a sedative. But taken in very small doses can make a nice warming tea to help you sleep.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »
It can also make you extra sensitive to the sun but not a problem in the UK at this time of year!
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

winter

• Karma Group
    • songs from lost voices
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:57:25 PM »
Or any for that matter ;D