Other Depression & Anxiety Related Illneses > Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - OCD

Nadal

(1/4) > >>

Zaf:
Watching Wimbledon (a weakness of mine) and the more I watch Nadal the more I wonder if he has OCD, all the bottles lined up by his chair and what seems a never varying routine just before he serves

Got:

But that isn't what OCD is. OCD is intrusive thoughts of a sexual, (homosexual, peadophilic, incestuous), aggressive or other nature which causes huge levels of anxiety to the sufferer. It is also the fear of very unlikely scenarios, such as fearing you have run someone over, and repeatedly turning back to check that you having killed someone, or repeatedly checking the locks of your house for hours on end until you collapse with exhaustion. Comulsions may be performed to help reduce the anxiety but this only makes the anxiety worse and the OCD sufferer gets worse and worse.

Unfortunately the public view OCD as being quirky traits, which leads to genuine OCD sufferers having a hard time getting time of work etc, and it leads to sufferers receiving a lack of compassion.....whereas in fact, it is considered to be one of the worlds top ten most disabling conditions.

Anyway Zaf, more importantly, who is Nadal? He sounds like a cartoon fantasy alien hero.

Zaf:
Surely mild OCD includes quirky traits too, which I agree does tend to make the general public trivialise the condition.

Nadad is a tennis player, about 3rd in the world

Z xx

Ducky:
Much has been made of Nadal and his bottles - it definitely is a form of OCD, of which there are many variants. He probably believes that he needs the bottles placed in a particular position in order for him to be lucky. I used to have that form as a kid, everything had to be in its correct place and if someone moved it, I went berserk.

What I have now - as opposed to classic OCD - is an obsessive, compulsive personality disorder. This has developed from classic OCD as a kid where I did believe that if, for example, my shoes weren't in exactly the correct position something awful would happen. Now I no longer have this form - I do not believe something dreadful will happen if my shoes aren't correctly aligned. Instead, I obsess about things and cannot stop thinking about them; for example, if I run out of soap, for argument's sake, I keep thinking about it until I have bought some more. This is obviously strongly connected to compulsion - as soon as the soap has run out, I compulsively go out and buy more. I will also often act compulsively, buying or doing things I either never needed to do or certainly didn't need to do that very moment. I also used to be a perfectionist, but that has got better with time, though it was a nightmare at school. "£"

Zaf:
Its not just the bottles, watch how he prepares to serve.

I could have written  a lot of your post Ducky

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version