Author Topic: 18 and struggling with it all!  (Read 3008 times)

Rjk95

18 and struggling with it all!
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »
This isn't easy for me to say, I've been coming to grips with a lot over the last year, it's had it's ups and downs, but now I seem to be stuck at a new low that I can't get out of!

Throughout my childhood I was abused mentally and somewhat physically by my mother, this seems to coincide with a drop in performance both academically and socially. I could take the beatings once I hit a certain age, now 18 and 6ft 4 it doesn't bother me, I just lock it up inside and take it on the chin (literally in some cases). Last year I was struggling with my A levels and my mother punished me for this, I had no out-route so I saw no way to stop the abuse!

However in the summer of 2012, I started a relationship with my bestfriend, she kept me happy and offered safe haven when others had turned their backs, as I grew into the relationship my confidence grew exponentially, to the point where insults and remarks didn't bother me, I was with the girl of my dreams and never been happier! About two months into the relationship my mother lost it with me, and beat me so hard I had to run away, I stayed with friends before eventually seeking refuge at my girlfriends house. It was here that I regained my stature as a man and not the little boy I'd been treated like! Another month later and things seemed to settle down and I returned home.

This was a happy year for me (2013) I was doing better at school (resitting) and my girlfriend was the best thing that ever happened to me! I loved her to bits! I went up by two grades in almost all subjects and began talking about a future together with her. It seems slightly premature, but that girl was the one I wanted to marry.

However my world came crashing down on August 9th 2013, she left me, the girl who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with left me. She was my bestfriend as well, so I had to stay close, I began to try to reform a relationship, but I was then hit with the news that she was sleeping with another boy, about 3 weeks after we had split. This tore me straight in two, the emotional scars hadn't healed and I found it harder and harder to stay even friends with her! She was my only proper friend left at my school since my other best mates had left for uni, I now feel isolated and somewhat betrayed! It just seems too much to deal with right now, all I do in my spare time is lie in bed, thinking about where it went wrong, only moving for food, it's been a week or so since I properly spoke to my family! I'm in a very dark place and I have begun to self harm, even welcoming the occasional suicidal thought, how do I deal with this?

Can anyone help me?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: 18 and struggling with it all!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »
Welcome and you are brave opening up.  I think it is harder for men to open up and being so tall as well nobody would dream it could happen to you.  You should be proud of yourself for being able to be honest particularly with complete strangers.  Anyway you can get through this even though it is painful and you will get support.  I'm about to go to bed but will come back to this tomorrow.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:41:12 PM »
Hi Rjk95, welcome to the forums.
It is indeed a sad situation when anyone is abused by either of their parents, and facing a breakup with someone you thought you had a future with is hard to cope with for many people.

You are amongst friends here, who are happy to offer advice and support, without being judgmental about things.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Rjk95

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:18 PM »
How would you suggest getting through it?

Are there any techniques or stress management rules that could help that you know of?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
It's worth trying CBT and your GP can refer you.  I did a course of it last year and it has helped with anxiety that I suffer in certain circumstances.  I struggled with going shopping in busy shops and going anywhere that was busy.  CBT can help you cope but you need to ready for it which it sounds you are. 

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
If you are finding depression is weighing you down a lot and making your life hard to deal with you could see if there is a MIND office close to you, they have some very good support workers
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Rjk95

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
Just checked in my local area and the only CBT available is 20 miles away and cost £60.00 an hour, as an 18 year old on low pay and still at school, I have neither the time nor money to pursue that avenue!

Sorry for sounding awkward here, I really do want to sort myself out, but it needs to be viable.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Go and ask your GP if he or she can refer you, that's what my GP did and I didn't have to pay for it either.  I was referred to Talking Changes which is a free NHS service in County Durham and Darlington - http://www.talkingchanges.org.uk/home - it's possible that there is a equivalent free service where you live.  If I had to pay then I wouldn't have been able to afford it either.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
£60 an hour is about average if you pay for private treatment, it's ever so slightly on the cheap side. But you should be able to get CBT through the NHS at  no cost, you'd have to see your doctor about a referral. I am not convinced that CBT requires a therapist. There are now plenty of CBT Workbooks on the market.  Most I have looked at have been pretty good. You are thinking of £15-20 as a one off. Amazon has masses of them.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been