Author Topic: Alcoholics daughter. Yet I'm superwoman  (Read 3588 times)

Glen53

• Karma Group
Re: Alcoholics daughter. Yet I'm superwoman
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
Firstly, I have huge respect for you. To take on so much and have such a mature attitude to it all is borderline heroic in my book. I had a good childhood with lovely parents (not perfect but who is?) so I cant advise or truly understand what it must be like. I have had 15 years experience as a HCA in the NHS and have cared for many people with drink problems. Its very different to your experience but I have seen many families torn apart by drink.  

To have had so much happen to you has clearly shaped the person you are today, but remember that everyone has their limit. At some point you need to live your own life, although from what you have said it may be difficult to leave the caring role you know so well behind. I have seen many good people such as yourself suffer because they refuse to step down and burn themselves out. I know you are now away from the destructive phase of your mums drinking and your dads abuse and I know that you care very much for your brother and sister, but you are clearly still taking on a lot by looking after your family. Your sister is now 23 and needs to learn to fend for herself. In the longrun doing everything for her will not do her or yourself any favours.

Have you ever spoken to each other about what has happened and how you feel? Do they realise how much you are giving and how you feel? It might be beneficial to try to talk to each other about it if you can and let them know that you want them to start to do more for themselves. It need not be done in a harsh fashion, just as a 'where we go from here' chat.

I do not mean any of the above to sound 'preachy'. I have no idea of the hardship you or your family have endured, it must have been very tough for you especially in the earlier years. I think you sound like an amazing person, sister and lets face it - stand in mother too! I just think that you have spent most of your life caring for everyone else and now its time to take some time out to care for yourself a little, even if its just short term  ;)

Take care  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:16:36 AM by Glen53 »
Crazy like a fish.

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you've been very brave and also selfless given what you and your family have been through.

I agree with Glen that your sister needs to take some responsibility and you need some time to look after yourself

Kate x

LonelySmiler

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
Hi glen. Thanks for reading my story. As you can see life hasn't been way and I always try to think positive. My sister has always had people look after her or picking up after her. I do try to leave things around the house to see if she will do them herself but it always gets left and me being the person Iam, I will always do it when it's not been done. As fr talking about the situation were in, we don't really. Its something we would rather forget. Sounds stupid but it's n something my siblings want to hear. As for my mum, she can be sober one second and throw in my face how I love being in control! This makes me laugh because I'm a 23 year old Girl and the last thing I ever wanted was two young kids to look after. She's so immature and selfish and I'd rather have nothing to do with her then j can't be let down by her. Im sure something will turn around before it gets to breaking point.

chelliiee

• Karma Group
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
I can sort of relate to you in your situation when I was 14 I was living with my sister she has 4 children 2 boys and 2 girls I was still in school at this point,
My sister and her partner was very lazy they left me to do everything for the children the younest was 7 months and 1/12 at the time the older 2 was 5 and 7 every morning I would have to get up feed and clothe the little ones and help my nephew who was 5 at the time my oldest nice who was 7 was capable of getting her self ready for school so that was kind of a help.

My sister would wake up just before I needed to go school but then I would have to take the 2 older ones to school then take myself to school once I finished school I would pick the 2 older ones up and take them home.

Bath, feed dress the little ones once I got back home.

This would happen everyday then I left home at 16 and now I don't get to see them anymore don't have a clue where they are.

They would be 4,6,10 and 12 now.

LonelySmiler

• Karma Group
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
Hi. It sounds like you went through something really similar to me. Only you had a lot more to deal with with there being 4 kids. Just goes to show I'm not alone and neither are you. Why did you lose contact with your sister if you don't mind me asking? How are you also because of what you had to do?

chelliiee

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
My sister partner was abusive towards me (not going to go into detail) I seen them a couple of months had suspicions something bad was happeing to the children so I involved social services so they've done a runner.

Because I bonded with the children and felt like a mother to them it heart breaking not being able to be contact with them but it is a danger and risk for me to be around my sisters partner.

So I feel like I am doing the right thing for getting social services involved for the childrens sake as their parents are not fit I've done this numerous times but social services said they were fine with their parents so I felt like I couldn't do more, but now their back on my sisters case they've fled basically and I have no idea where they are.

chelliiee

• Karma Group
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
It was very tiring running around after them all day but I see as if I didn't do it as who else would do of done it? No one.

Their dad would just sit on his computer all day he would get angry and violent towards the children if they misbehaved or if they were being nosey,

Their mum was going through a post natel depression stage after having my youngest niece, so in a way I can't really blame my sister but it left me doing everything for them.

I remember every weekend I would get up at half 7 every morning while they would sleep till 11am or longer the kids would of been fed, washed and dressed and happily playing away.

I had no time for school work or to sociallise with friends I was like a full time mother if you class it that way.

My sister would obviously look after to younger 2 whilst I was at school until I would get back. Then it would start all over again.

xfakex

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »
Hi LonleySmiler, firstly a lot of respect for what you have done.

I'm not in the same situation as in having to look after anyone, luckily our Grandma lived with us as well, but from about the age of 10 my mum has been a alcoholic, and it effected my childhood and maybe the person I am today.

Holykimura

• Karma Group
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
Welcome x

XSqueakX

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 01:25:10 PM »
hi

i think it's amazing that you've stayed so strong well done!

x