Author Topic: Hi...pretty scared!!  (Read 6471 times)

yepitsme

Hi...pretty scared!!
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
Well after years of putting up with it, i went to the doctor, i was diagnosed with depression today.

Hi all. Im a 49 yr old single dad. I fell out of the social scene when my son was born, 15 yrs ago, so have been on my own with him since. I have really bottled up all problems, worries, concerns that happen in life as i thought i was "strong enough" to cope on my own.

The last year or so, everything just came to a head, i started being moody to my son, being emotional for no reason, waking up early, no energy, tired, and feeling crap really.

I feel ashamed, and am having to take deep breaths whilst writing this as i feel i have given in.

I have no one to talk too, and its so hard to try and put a brave face on in front of my son.

I have been given fluoxetin, and have an appointment for CBT at the end of the month.

I am worried that whilst taking fluoxetine, my son may notice a change in me? am i right in thinking this?

Heres to being happy again!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Hi...pretty scared!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »
You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed off.  Depression can hit anybody at any time, at any age and for what seems no apparent reason.  Unfortunately there is still the stigma attached to depression and can be very isolating.  I've never taken fluoxetine so I can't help in that respect.  CBT can help.  I did it online last year with telephone support.  It helped in the respect that I struggle with busy places such as supermarkets so I learned coping mechanisms and with coffee shops etc although I still prefer to sit near a door  :bgrin: . 

Ice Maiden

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »
Hi and welcome, you're brave to admit to being depressed  :bye:

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:45:27 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forums, dipression is nothing to be ashamed of, fluoxetine is just one of many anti d's around, i would suggest seeing your doc on a regular basis to start with so they can monitor your mood and tweek your medication if needed.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

yepitsme

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Thanks for the messages. I have an appointment after the first 2 weeks, to check how i am.

Took my first one this morning, i have a headache, not sure its the med or a result of crying loads last night.

Not looking forward to the bad dreams if i get them !!!!!

popsicle

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:22 PM »
Hi  :bye:

It does help to have an doctor that listens and that sounds about right for checking how you're getting on with the medication.  Half the battle is being believed that you're depressed as well as having support from others who understand what you're going through.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
I was pleased to hear that you had started Fluoxetine. Being a single parent for 15 years without people to talk life's hassles over with is going to make the best of us prone to depression.

I'm sure you'll be OK as regards side effects. The most common are stomach and gut upsets and insomnia. But headaches aren't uncommon so yours could be down to that. I don't associate Fluoxetine particularly with bad dreams. People who are depressed tend to dream more and more vividly than those who aren't but that's the depression itself not the drugs.

I presume you've started on 20 mg and I hope it kicks in on that dose in a couple of weeks. But you can go up to 60 mg. Seeing your GP every couple of weeks means he can make that sort of adjustment promptly if you need it. And the best of luck with the CBT.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

goldilocks

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
hi yepitsme,
so glad you found the courage to go to see your doc, and also to post on here - well done, that's 2 big things you've done. When I was 1st diagnosed my doc put me on antids and saw me after 2 weeks and that helped me feel safe - like someone was in charge, and things were under control. Take it 1 day and 1 step at a time, be kind to yourself

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »
Hi, you have shown real strength, and it's a good start to your battle. You've taken a big step, but you should know that there is no shame in being treated for depression, rather it's a good thing to face and start your recovery. I hope that you manage a dream free, relaxing sleep tonight. Best wishes.

yepitsme

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
Yesterday was my 1st day on meds, and was wondering....Is it possible to experience positive effects in the first day?

The reason i ask...In the evening, i had a very uplifted mood, and felt i needed to do something. I started tidying the kitchen and really had a need to de clutter the house. It was really bugging me that i want to get it done (tho it was the evening so it didnt get done..lol)

From reading other experiences, it seems it can take weeks before positive effects start, is this right?

I also had strange electric shock feelings in my leg, and my shoulder muscle kept twitching....very strange!!

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
Sometimes there can be an instant improvement, although I think that it's probably more to do with the state of mind - possibly more to do with accepting that there is hope. I'm not sure about the shock and the twitching. Certainly keep an eye on that and check with the doctor if it continues. Somebody else on the forums may be able to omment on that. Taking the first steps towards tidying up puts you WAY ahead of me! I hope that the improvement continues.  0158 Michael.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
Yes I agree with Michael, you're actually doing something to help yourself so can be the reason why your mood has improved.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
as Pip and Michael have said, the fact you are up to doing things is a good booster in its self, twitching muscles can be a side effect of the meds, do they mention anything like that on the information sheet in the tablet box?
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

yepitsme

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Hi, yea, it does mention about muscle twitching, it hasnt happened since tho.

Feel very flat today tho :(

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I'm glad that the twitching has passed. It normally takes a couple of weeks before the meds start fully performing I think. I'm NOT an expert though. Don't forget that you are working at getting the improvements that you deserve. I hope that tomorrow is a better day.  :hug: