Author Topic: Sertraline & Headaches  (Read 4197 times)

briskstart

Sertraline & Headaches
« on: October 29, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice - I've been taking 50mg of Sertraline for nearly two years and have not experienced many issues to speak of during that time.

Recently, I've been suffering pretty bad, and long-lived headaches (sometimes a week at a time) - basically I'm asking if there are any known painkillers that can be taken safely in conjunction with sertraline?

I'm under strict instructions not to take aspirin or ibuprofen, however not being particularly up on painkillers, that leaves me with paracetamol, which just does nothing to shift the headaches...

Is there anything else that could be suggested?  I'm seeing my doctor for a medication review, and will discuss the headaches at that time, but it's not for another week, so any advice would be really appreciated  :D

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Sertraline & Headaches
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 06:56:09 PM »
I'm  on 100mg Sertraline but I also take two meds for blood pressure, one cholesterol, one anti inflamatory, and two pain killers. One is Gabapentin 300mg three times a day and 50mg of Amitriptyline which also helps me sleep. Gabapentin is very good as a painkiller - I can't take ibruprofen as a painkiller due to my other meds.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
When it comes to over the counter pain killers  there is only one you have missed out. This is 8mg Codeine 500 mg Paracetamol Co Codamol. There are all sorts of brands of things like Neurophen and the like but they are no more effective than simple formulations, just more expensive.

It is good you have a GP appointment coming up. Headaches that last a week aren't normal and really should be looked at by a doctor. His advice to avoid Asprin and Ibuprofen on Sertaline is spot on so don't be tempted.

All you can really do is buy a pack of Co Codamol until your GP appoinment. He has access to the full range of painkillers and can check out that nothing serious is going on.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

briskstart

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
Thanks for your replies, very helpful  :D

I'll give co codamol a try and see how I get on.

Cheers!

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
cocodamol 30/500 is a good one if your doc will write a scripf toy you, or the Gabapentin Pip mentioned.
both these are script only, so have a chat with your doc, i wouldnt think its your current med causing the headache as your body will be used to them now.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

briskstart

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
Thanks Stewart, mercifully the headaches have become less frequent and for a shorter time when they do strike.

I think we kind of narrowed it down to stress and not drinking enough fluids (which seems obvious really) - I've tried co codamol 8/500 and it seems to have helped :-)