Author Topic: Change of meds ??  (Read 7392 times)

bookletters

• Karma Group
Re: Change of meds ??
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »
You would if you were changing "groups" for example, I had to when I went from a NaSSA to an SSRI. But since then, even going from an SSRI to SNRI, the cross over method worked fine....

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
That's ok then. Thought I had frighten you Matt. I do think that you should book a phone call to this Dr on Monday. If only to put your mind at rest %^%. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Yeah Matt, I personally wouldn't interrupt 60mg abruptly like that.... I mean I am not a doctor but shouldn't they get you to take say 20mg then up the dose of what they are switching to?

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
Got to thank everyone for their input. It really means allot  ;)

I'll go back on Monday to sort this all out.

Will love you and leave you all .   

Goodnight xxx

Hope everyone has a pleasant weekend  +-_
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
Night Matt. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Thinking of you Matt, remember we've been (or are going ) through what you are going through and it's tough but you'll feel better soon.
Good luck for work, sleep well xx

Catbrian

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 09:44:55 PM »
Matt, at the end of the day, you should come off them in the way that makes you feel most comfortable.

Doc's can be a bit limited in experience with AD's.  They know all the text book info but often fail to recognise the patients experience.  If I can give you any advice, I'd say don't stop them until you double-check with your regular GP.  The Doc will agree, if you wish to play on the safe side by either coming off gradually or doing a complete swap-over, like Bookletters is doing.  I never listen to a GP's reduction plan and I tell them straight that I will come off them in the way I see fit and usually take double the time that they recommend.  They're normally happy to go at the patients pace.

Coming off AD's are difficult, even when you do it gradually.  The chemicals in your brain are bound to take a jolt from a sudden withdrawal and can lead to much serious depression.  Sorry, I don't mean to alarm you.  I almost said it earlier, but felt uncertain.  But, judging by everyone Else's posts, I'd say lets follow our instincts.  Don't stop suddenly.  Go see GP Monday.  If you want, you can half the dose and see how you feel.  By Monday, you will already have made progress.

Good luck.  Try not to worry, just take it slowly and have a good weekend

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
I agree Mat, if it makes you worry then surely there is a better way to do things.
Don't hesitate to tell your doc you need something to help you sleep and relax while coming off them, even if it means you giving the tablets to someone you trust to make sure you don't have a moment of weakness with them.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 06:28:37 AM »
Just wanted to say Matt. I did come off fluoxetine 40mg overnight. Fluoxetine has a long half life so it stays in your system longer than some other SSRIs and makes it easier to come off of.  I got a bit of a headache, paracetamol sorted that out. Apart from that it was fine, that was also during a med change.

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
Oh wow Buttercup, I feel bad giving bad advice to Matt now :s

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »
I didn't want to make you feel bad, just wanted Matt to know others had done it  %^%

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
Nooo it's fine Buttercup, I have to remember all meds are different!!

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
Thought I would update you all all.

So it's been a week now and I have not taken any fluoxetine , my mood has been kinda balanced. Not up or down,  could say even a bit numb, Its kinda hard to describe , only side effects I have had is the headaches but I'm sure everyone knows by now that headaches are a big part of depression. So I'm already used to them .

Was at the doctors today and decided to actually try Mitrazapine as its a different med , the doc said citalopram and fluoxetine are similar in many ways. And Mitrazapine can help with my insomnia as well .

Here's hoping  :D
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

bookletters

• Karma Group
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
Fantastic Matt!
My meds cross over has been good overall, I think because citalopram wasn't helping anyway (never did) so....
Probably the same for you, if the meds didn't help then not taking them probs isn't a big deal, would probably be a different story if they had been beneficial!
Well done on not taking sleeping aids. I once took some every night for 8 weeks.... well no need to say that when I stopped them I had 24h of insomnia and felt like a total zombie!

Catbrian

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Hi Matt +-_

Sorry if I alarmed you last week by saying don't stop the AD's overnight.  Buttercup was right and it made sense if they stay in your system longer.

That's brilliant news about the Mirtazapine.  I also started Mirtazapine a couple of months ago, on top of Quetiapine.  Loadsa people on Forum are also on them and i haven't heard anyone talk of side effects.  Did the GP explain you should take it at night before bed?  It completely knocks everyone out.  Within 20-30mins after taking, If I'm not already in bed, I will fall unconscious in my chair

A word of advice.... if you didn't like savoury things before, you probably will do now.  I also sit and feed my face with sweet foods.  Was never too keen on custard before, now I make bucket loads.  I've never had a belly in my life....until now =+-

I'm sure you'll do well on those: haven't heard of anyone experiencing side effect while on Mirtazapine.  Because they give such a good sleep, I was feeling better within a day or two.

All the best with that one *()