Author Topic: "Friends"  (Read 3065 times)

OpticChaos

• Karma Group
"Friends"
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
<rant>
There are times when I wish that I had friends who were better people. Friends who didn't make me feel worthless with off the cuff comments. Friends who were actually nice to me. Friends who didn't go out drinking constantly. Friends who didn't find better friends and make out that I have a f***ing clue who they are. Friends who didn't flaunt the fact that they have more money than me. Friends who didn't complain about their jobs when I'd give my left leg to have a job. Friends who don't act like they are gods gift to the world by making out that they are better than me. I just want someone, anyone, to actually make me feel like life is worth it, because my "friends" don't. I hate my life.
</rant>

craig84

• Karma Group
Re: "Friends"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
when your ready and confident enough youll end up telling them to (sorry)  FUKOFF. do one, im  sick of being treated like this by twats like you id rather be alone and.... you know, that sorta thing.

I had that to an extent but I did yused to go sick so much people knew when to stop, im little but I don't let people disrespect me I demand respect.... I say that but with depression you completely loose your confidence so im always up and down but when im up ill fight for myself more, and im lik 5'7 and 9st so im nothing im skinny if im honest just whe im well I carry myself better and fight for myself more,.... im recovering from a dramatic low recently so I may crash again but its all about doing things a bit at a time, take steps and youll get there if you want it enough!
”It’s always down to you and the choices you make. Work on the things you can change and never dwell on the things you can’t. You choose… ‘results’ or ‘excuses’ it’s always down to YOU… no one has ever given their BEST and regretted it. GO HARD NO EXCUSES.”

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
During my 20s and early 30s I did 'lose' friends by choice.  Ended up quite isolated for a few years then from my early 30s I started to be a bit more selective with my choice of friends.  It's taken me a number of years to finally have friends that are 'keepers'.

fighting_the_tide

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »
The best kind of person that I would suggest to call a friend - is someone who allows you to be yourself and doesn't expect you to fit in to being who they want you to be.

Those who make off the cuff comments - if you don't like it, ignore it? Listening to words from others doesn't make us who we are. It makes us feel like we are the problem, when the reality is, they're the one with the problem they just don't know how to recognise that they are.

Friends who are not nice to you - are they really friends? or are they bullying acquaintances (people you know that you just hang around with to prevent yourself being the outsider - although they make you feel that way). I can speak from experience that whilst I can make new friends with relative ease - between 12-30 months later - most have buggered back off out of my life and barely pass the time of day with me (some I've even worked with - and now, if they see me, they look down their nose like I didn't exist - but if that's how they want to be - I let them do so, because I don't have to be "nice" to them, unless i'm at work and they're a customer.)

Complaining about work is one of those things that happens for the majority of people who have them. How many people do you actually know who have a job enjoy every minute of every day and never have a bad word to say about it? I don't think you'd find that many, not truly. I myself was signed off my last job for 5 months (on anti-depressants and having blood tests etc), before 5 months on the government hand out for job seeking individuals - but I persevered with trying to find something that I believed I would be better at. But even in the first 7 weeks I've been there - I could complain about the attitudes of most of the staff in there. But there's no need because that would only fuel me venting needlessly - wasting energy that I could use to better myself. 

For what you've described - if I was personally in that exact same position - I would rather be alone than have so-called friends who do all of that. My time is more productive not being around those who want to bully or paint me out to be some sort of pauper to their "lord/lady" - when actually their attitude is what stinks. You'd probably be better off with no friends than friends who do this. Yes, loneliness isn't nice, but it's better than going through what you've described.

Maybe focus on just being yourself. And setting a goal to be who you want to be - not who others want you to be. Those who accept you for being yourself, are more likely to earn your respect as a person, not demand that you're the one who has to respect them.