Author Topic: Mirtazipine - Excessive Tiredness?  (Read 3023 times)

Flea

• Karma Group
Mirtazipine - Excessive Tiredness?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
Yesterday evening, I took my first 15mg dose of mirtazipine.  Citalopram made me unbearably anxious, even after a few weeks of riding it out - so I had to come off it and try something else.

Anyway,  I took it at 5pm, went to bed at 9pm.  I usually wake up four of five times in the night, but last night I woke twice (2.30am then an hour later).  I woke again at 8.20pm after sleeping straight through my alarm!  This meant I was late for work.

At work, I managed to cope until 11.30am when I had to explain to my boss that I just couldn't keep my eyes open, felt dizzy and needed to get my head down for an hour, then I would work from home in the afternoon.  Trouble is, I slept right through until 4pm.

I can't continue on this medication if it makes me so tired.  I can't afford to take time off to get used to it, nor would it be helpful to take sick leave as I've taken too much already due to my depression.

Does it get better?  If so, how long did it take to get into your system without the excessive tiredness?

nocaph

Re: Mirtazipine - Excessive Tiredness?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »
Hi Flea,

I remember 15mg of Mirtazapine made me very tired as well, and took at least a couple of weeks to get used to.  I also heard a bit of a horror story from my friend who kept dozing in and out of consciousness at the wheel of his car on the motorway on the way to work after underestimating its potency for sleepiness.  I know with 45mg it's more stimulating, and the lower doses are more sedating, so maybe this is something you could try? 

mat

• Karma Group
  • Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
Same here. the first morning after taking it the night before I was completely out of it  , I woke up and it was if I was drunk , legs where jelly dizziness had to use the wall to guide me back to my bedroom where I fell asleep again.

From my experience and reading some information online the drowsiness  will eventually go away as your body builds a tolerance against it or something like it.
BEFORE YOU ACT, LISTEN
BEFORE YOU REACT, THINK
BEFORE YOU SPEND, EARN
BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE, WAIT
BEFORE YOU PRAY, FORGIVE

BEFORE YOU QUIT, TRY

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »

I became accustomed to it.

KateG

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:42:34 AM »
Same here, especially at the lower dose I could sleep for at least 14 hrs per day and the rest of the time I was in a sleepy haze. Plus it made my appetite huge and I ate everything in sight.

The higher dose tends to knock you out less

Hope you can find something to suit you, that works too

Kate x

Catbrian

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:29:40 PM »
I became accustomed to it reasonably quickly.  Why not try taking half for the first few days until you start to get used to it.