Author Topic: Returning to work after depression/anxiety past?  (Read 2327 times)

ashe1987

Returning to work after depression/anxiety past?
« on: May 03, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Hello,

I am new and also need some advice :) I hope to be able to also dish out some advice or comfort of my own soon enough!

I can't seem to find much help online about this, I will keep this as short as possible.

I am a long term sufferer of depression, since childhood. After working full-time from the age of 16 I quit my job after I could no longer cope at 22 years old, 6 months or so after that I decided to seek help as I wanted to end my life, I was diagnosed with depression, social anxiety, agoraphobia and also had an alcohol dependency.

Thankfully with medication and therapy I feel I am over the worst of my depression although I do still get bouts of it, nothing I can't handle and not anywhere near as bad as it was. I have also been sober for 4 years but my social anxiety is still currently a problem and with that I rarely leave the house. I have been absolutely terrified at the thought of going back to work which has led me to be where I am now at 26 and still not working.

I make and sells things to earn a living at the moment. Unfortunately due to my childhood and my state of mind, I never went to college and got a higher education although I always wanted to, but I had to work full time in retail in order to leave home which I could just afford and no more, so retail is the only work experience I have really apart from some pharmacy work in which I got a minor qualification for understanding and dispensing medication.

Now after all of these years I am regaining some drive and ambition back and I find myself looking at online college degrees which I wouldn't have to pay for until I am employed. I would love a higher education. I like to learn, I am passionate about cultures, history and people and would like a career in which I could be creative but also help people in some way, so I would love to study an arts and humanities degree.

So my questions are....After 4 years of unemployment due to mental health issues, is it possible to study a college degree and think about starting a family within the time it will take to complete and then go back to work? Would anyone employ me? Should I be truthful about my mental health? Would anyone understand why I didn't work for an employer for so long? I feel that with finally doing something meaningful with my life it will help me with my mental well being but I'm not sure how difficult it is getting back into work after such a long break because of health :(

It has took a long time for me to even get to this stage where I feel confident enough and deserving enough to actually do something with my life now that I can see a future for myself, but I don't want to start something so huge and expensive if the only people that would ever employ me again are retail type work employers.

Anyone have any similar experience with this?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Returning to work after depression/anxiety past?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 05:58:40 PM »
I haven't been in the same situation as you but employers aren't supposed to discriminate against people with mental illness.  You know your limits but on the other hand you are willing to do what it takes to get work and so on.

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
Hi

Anything is possible as long as you make time to look after yourself.

As Pip said employers aren't suppose to discriminate & the equality act gives sufferers some protection.

The fact that you have got yourself back to this point should show employers how determined you are.

Xxxx

ashe1987

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Hey

Thanks for the replies :) I think it's something I really want to do but I've only suddenly had this 'ambition' for the past week. I've researched the open university for these courses which really seems to help people with mental health problems and since I will be able to do the majority of it from home it does suit, at least until I perhaps seek more counselling for my social anxiety. At the moment I can just about go to the shop directly across the road and not much else and even at that my head is down, I don't speak unless I have to and feel a nervous wreck. With the nice weather starting I do want to go out but I just can't do it right now. Yet online it's not problem I can speak as much as I like to anyone, if only I could transfer that to face-to-face communication :)

Of course the doubts of being in that huge amount of debt if I can't get work worries me. I am a very insecure shy person that lacks confidence and I have little to no faith I'd manage to nail an interview, let alone work with people again. A part of me hopes I will be able to cope better with the positivity that would come with finally doing something with my life that means something to me ( learning something I'm passionate about and gaining a qualification for it). Perhaps that positivity will help ward off my anxiety and depression.

Right now I do nothing of interest, I had nothing to look forward to, I felt stuck and worried that this was it for me. This is the first time in years now that I have thought about a future for myself, I suppose thinking about an actual career choice before I make that decision would make more sense. I guess I'm just a little scared of the risk.

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
It's a very good sign that you are thinking about the future. You know how you feel best of all, so you must be careful not to fall in with other peoples expectations of you. You sound like a bright articulate person, and I'm sure that given time, your confidence will grow. I must warn you that there may be hiccups along the way, but you are not alone, and you can always find support from the wonderful people on this site. They have helped me immeasurably, and I'm certain that you will find the same caring. Best wishes. Michael.

popsicle

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
I have worked for years but finally admitting to being depressed has been a huge step.  At the moment I am choosing who I tell as it hasn't affected my work.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
hi ashe, thinking positivly about the future and of taking on a job is a big step in the right direction,
taking on a open university degree would give you something to focus on, as well as improve your options for a job when you are ready to tackle one.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 04:57:08 PM »
How are you feeling today?