Author Topic: Work colleagues getting on my nerves...  (Read 3017 times)

fighting_the_tide

• Karma Group
Work colleagues getting on my nerves...
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »
I am getting rather angry and irritable at work to the point I might blow a fuse at another staff member if they treat the job with the disrespect they've been showing.

Today was no different. We had a staff member go home early due to a call from his father, so I'm thrust into closing off his department (not a problem - it just meant I cashed myself in from a department I was on at the time). But two people from another department didn't cash their own stuff in - I had to do it - eventually leading myself to a doubly delayed finish from what I was half expecting - I ended up having a break of about 25 minutes between afternoon and evening shifts (which in turn I asked the manager whether he wanted me to put down that I'd had a lunch break - and he said "no", which was a reflection of how I work).

Throw in another staff member going home because they were unwell, an agency one going home because they were pissed off (as for why I didn't bother asking) - and between myself and one of the remaining 2 members of staff (manager not counted) - we were both peeved for various reasons with the crap that had been left for us to be dealing with.

Gah.. I've only been there 11 weeks and I want to leave it's that bad - but I can't afford to be without work. :/

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Work colleagues getting on my nerves...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
It's not fair when you get treated like that.

I worked for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office for about 11 years.  When I was working in one particular department we were short staffed.  Whenever I asked for leave even for one day I was got a straight no but if anybody else wanted to have leave they got it.  Apart from anything I could only carry over so many days leave each year which I pointed out to my supervisor but as far as she was concerned I was in effect indispensible (sp).  This went on for about 3 months and there had been a number of weekends when we had to do overtime.  In the end I was ill and my mum rang up because I kept saying I had to go to work.  My supervisor never did it to me again after my mum had words. 

JC

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
There certainly seems to an attitude in some workplaces of leaving the more capable and/or uncomplaining members of staff to get on with things whilst letting others get away with taking the mickey.

It is not fair and really frustrating for those left to "pick up the pieces" but, in my experience, this is often left to carry on until the staff member either blows a fuse or decides they have had enough and hands in their notice.

Obviously, I have no idea about the management culture where you work but are they approachable? If so, it would be worth having a word to see if they are willing to address the problem.

lostmyway

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Hi

Yeah there definitely is a culture of leaving the work to the most capable, whilst others are messing around and being lazy, and generally not caring one bit.  It is up to management and the teamleaders to do something about it, and they just shrug their shoulders and ignore what you' re telling them .  You end up getting really fed up and frustrated , and disillusioned with the whole thing. 

I had a lot of central western Europeans where i used to work.  the ones that did work, did.  But.. there were a lot of lazy individuals that just carried on talking all the time and didn't give 2 hoots what the UK workers thought or felt.  It used to annoy me greatly.  Its a difficult situation to deal with.  If you have management that live in Cloud Cuckoo Land that doesn't help either, they just follow their agenda and what suits them.