Author Topic: wary of new meds combo: mirtazapine + aripiprazole  (Read 3558 times)

rjs

• Karma Group
wary of new meds combo: mirtazapine + aripiprazole
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »
 I saw  my psychiatrist  yesterday.  after 10min I was  bundled out with a new prescription for aripiprazole. (5mg/day  in the morning). this is to counter the sedative and demotivating effects of the mirtazapine (30mg/day  at night) that I'm already on which is otherwise working well.
 So the ari.  is to stimulate and get me going. Ok,  but I'm already suffering restless legs,  this is only going to make it worse isn't it?  Reading the labels,  there are also significant warnings about interactions.  Maybe I  shouldn't read them.

I'm getting more despondent as time goes on and with the duration of the consultation I just feel like an inconvenience. The new drug wasn't properly explained and I didn't get a chance to  voice any concerns.  I'll  try it, "when I've got nothing planned for the day" (psych's advice,  makes me wonder why,  it wasn't explained),  but simply because I'm getting desperate. I  can't go on like this,  but where else can I  go for advice?  Has anyone here tried this particular combination?

SteveW

• Karma Group
Re: wary of new meds combo: mirtazapine + aripiprazole
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Aripiprazole and Mirtazepine isnt a combination you often meet. Aripiprazole has 4 uses. The first is the treatment of schizophrenia. The second us to bring Manic episodes in Bipolar 1 under control. The third is to smooth out the mood cycles in Bipolar 1 and 2. The fourth is as an add on when an anti-depressant isnt working. Aripiprazole has a reputation for being somewhat stimulant as one of its side effects, but I have never met it being used to counter the sedative effect of another drug.

Aripiprazole is a reasonably heavy duty drug, although 5mg is the lowest dose given, I couldnt advise you what to do about taking it. I would probably take it but I would be very wary of side effects. I would definitely read the side effects on the Patient Information Leaflet. Ignorance isn't bliss in my book.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:01:14 AM »
Well - I took the first tablet yesterday. Developed a severe headache by mid-morning along with a temperature, stiffness and nausea. I called 111 in the afternoon and was advised to go and see my GP urgently. GP was puzzled at the prescription at first but advised to possibly try once more and if there was no improvement to go back to the psych. After a long sleepless night too (wide awake, despite the mirtazapine) it's not an experience I'm willing to repeat today, so I'm going to call the psych and discuss what happened to see what he says.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
i dont know anything about aripiprazole, but from what you say is looks like your body could be alergic to it in some way, sounds more than the normal body getting used to a new medication.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water