Author Topic: Side effects - Venlafaxine  (Read 3257 times)

Grandma

• Karma Group
Side effects - Venlafaxine
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
 )_-

Hi

A big of a weird one ........ I am, amongst other things, taking 225mg XL Venlafaxine, and have been for a couple of months.

I seem to be managing without any significant side effects except for one or two things which may or may not be linked to the meds.

Firstly  raised blood pressure, which I know is likely to be linked to the meds. It's responding to low dose Ramipril so not a major problem.

Hot flushes / sweats, combined with what I can only describe as an 'icy' sensation underneath my skin (skin is a normal temp.  to the touch). The hot bit of it is annoying, but hubby is delighted as I'm not putting the heating on as much lol!

I also get what can only be described as unbearably fidgety legs and small joints that I just have to 'crack'! Again, this is a nuisance but is mainly at night and isn't the end of the world.

What is more of a problem but may not be connected to the meds is my 'lurches'! Now no laughing, but I seem to have a body, that periodically decides to take on a life of it's own and develops what my long suffering other half describes as my 'epileptic octopus' movement!

It only happens when I relax, and in particular if I have been very breathless (I have unmanaged AF,), bedtime is a nightmare, I lie down and my body goes into a spasm, arching and then relaxes. I have no control of this and it has lead to some interesting moments in restaurants, as whatever I happen to be holding ends up being thrown across the room. Hubby, takes it all in his stride, and I pretend it's perfectly normal to throw cutlery, food and glasses at people, but inside I am cringing!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I do also take a very low dose of Quetiqpine (25 - 50 mg).

Big hugs xxxx

Catbrian

Re: Side effects - Venlafaxine
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »
I would say it is very likely the hot flush and icy sensation is down to a side effect of Venlafaxine, although, I'm not 100% certain, it is definitely a side effect for other antidepressants.  The fidgety legs is what is called Restless Legs Syndrome.  It is one of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced.  I take 30mg Mirtazapine and 400mg Quetiapine.  I would say my restless legs came from the high doses of Quetiapine.  Fortunately, most of these side effects fade with time, probably over the first few months.  Sometimes, when I lie in bed, my body will jump in a tense spasm, but it doesn't happen often and is probably down to the meds.  There should be a patient information leaflet in the packet of Venlafaxine.  I'm sure it will probably include your symptoms in the long list of possible side effects.  Hopefully it will all settle down in time.  Throwing cutlery in restaurants must be embarrassing, but it did make me laugh  :bgrin: 

Grandma

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
Hi Cat,

If you think throwing cutlery is funny, you should see the faces of the other diners (pretending not to notice / stare), that's even funnier.

Funnier still is the little voice (which because of it's 5 yr old pitch is actually very audible), of my granddaughter who pipes up  with 'it's allright Grandma, Luke does that because he's zero (Luke is baby brother of 8 months), I expect it's because you're really old or perhaps it's because you are eating pink medicament! She then leant over to Luke and said 'Luke, you mustn't throw your spoon at people, only really old people who are more than 100 are allowed because they're old'!

Don't you just love children?

Big hugs and smiles xxx

Catbrian

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
Don't you just feel old

Grandma

• Karma Group
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
Me? Old? Yup ancient lol!

I adore my grandchildren, but sometimes I do wish the weren't quite so observant, or quite so open; one of G's recent corkers was to inform everyone that she had slept with grandma and grandma has a 'pleated body' (I think she was referring to my spare tyre(s)).

Not as bad as her friend though; my daughter was telling me that parents were invited to an assembly at school. The first part was the children standing up in little groups and telling all the Mummy's and Daddy's about their finds in the playground and on the field (ahhh).

The second half was a talk given by the village Bobby all about 'stranger danger'. Thirty little reception children listened very carefully, and at the end, Mr Bobby invited questions, he asked the children to stand up to ask their question. One little boy stood up and asked the policeman, 'have you got some handcuffs to put on burglars?' Yes said Mr Bobby, and he unclipped his handcuffs from his belt and held them up, at which one of G's little friends jumped up in excitement (as they do), and almost at bursting  point shouted out 'my Mummy's got some just like that with pink fur'!

One very red faced Mummy looked at the ground, 20 odd parents tried very hard not to fall apart in giggles, and one slightly pink teacher hurried the children back in to their classroom before the parents finally lost control.

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall at the police station, but my daughter said it was absolutely hilarious, perhaps more so as 'the Daddy', is an RAF MP!

I should add that my daughter's friend iz a tough cookie and took it all in her stride!

Leo

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36:27 AM »
I suffered restless legs on Venlafaxine and night sweats when I was coming off of it.

I can't comment on raised blood pressure as mine was raised already.
I am only me. That is all I can be.
No more, no less, don't second guess.
I love, I live, I laugh, I cry.
I've wished sometimes that I could die.
Some days I'm funny, others I'm not.
Sometimes I'm in overdrive, and I can't stop.
You may not like me, but that's ok, because this is me and how ill stay.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »
I suffered with hot sweats with my anti depressant Duloxetine, but with time these wore off, it is a known side effect.  I also have raised blood pressure anyway.  I don't know about restless legs.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.