Author Topic: Prozac  (Read 5953 times)

Johann

• Karma Group
Prozac
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
I have been on 20mg Fluoxitine for over 4 weeks now. Does not seem to help (yet??). Got Prozac (which is also Fluoxitine) from GP yesterday and took 40mg this morning. Feeling totaly depressed now. Sorry, just wanting to put my feelings in writing. Usually I feel better in the evening.
Does CBT help or councilling? Also got Diazapam 5mg but feel reluctant to use. Any advice .....?
Thanks for any replies with advice.........I'm feeling desperate.

KateG

• Karma Group
Re: Prozac
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Hi Johann and welcome to the forum

Many people on here find that their worst time of day is in the morning, I know mine is.

Kate

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:29:54 AM »
I was on Prozac as well.  I started on 20mg and then it was increased to 40 mg after 8 weeks which is the common time before an increase.  Prozac is relatively slow to get going so after 4 weeks its still early days. 

As Kate says its common to feel worse in the morning.

xxx

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
just replied in your other similar post about the ADs

I personally find counselling in conjunction with medication works best for me

Z xx
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
I have also commented on your other post.  I also feel at my worst in the morning and this seems to be a normal feeling with depression.

I have had CBT and counselling.  I personally have found that medication along with good counselling has worked best for me.  I am nearly at the end of my counselling with MIND and have found them to be very good.

S x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Johann

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
Thanks everybody for your input. It has made me understand a bit more and your information did really help. As it is afternoon now I do feel better but I still dread waking up in the morning .......... Thanks again.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Again I totally understand these feelings, I was a different person at night and I to dreaded waking up as I knew how I would feel.  That is until the meds licked in, so just try and stay with it it will get better.

S x

Johann

• Karma Group
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
Thanks Shaz. I do really need the encouragement to know that it will get better.........

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
I hate the mornings too,  I can gauge how deep my depression is by how difficult it is (or not) to get out of bed

Z x

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:20:17 PM »
It will Johann, you have us here when you need us.

S x x

Ohdaddy

• Karma Group
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
Johann

My experience so far with fluoxatine is similar. This is my 5th week and it has not had a huge effect yet. Mornings are bad, today in particular is not good. often by the evenings I'm starting to feel better.  If I did not have to to either get daughter to school or go to work myself or get moaned at by my wife I would probably stay in bed all morning. Not sure weather that is good thing really - better to get up and going and keep busy if possible. I find that help prevents all the self pity, worry and anxiety.

When are you due to see your GP next?

Buttercup

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 12:21:35 PM »
Hi my GP and psychiatrist told me Prozac is one of the slowest to start to work. On average 8 weeks!!! Not much help when we feel rubbish!

Johann

• Karma Group
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »
Thanks everybody for your replies. I have since about 3 weeks ago changed my GP and consulted a psychiatrist. They decided that I would go off Prozac (which is a SSRI type antidepressant) over a period of 2 weeks and immediately put me on Lofepramine 70mg (which is a Trycyclic type). I also realised that my problems started about in July of last year when I was put on Bisoprolol Fumarate which is a Beta blocker for one-off heart condition I had in July. I immediately, with advice from my new GP, stopped using the Beta blocker which put me through a week-end of very bad cold turkey. When reading the leaflet in the Beta blocker pack, it says that in fewer than 1% of cases it causes severe depression!! Well, wasn't I the poor bugger who made up that less than 1 %!!!!

On the Monday 2 weeks ago after the cold turkey and with 4 doses of Lofepramine in me, I felt like a new person and have been feeling good since then. I really do feel my normal self again.

I hope that this information can help someone to also recover from this dreadfull condition. Thanks again to everybody who supported me during this time and I wish you all a speedy recovery. I am still thinking of you all and will still stay on the forum to give my support to others.

JT.

Got

• Karma Group
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 02:20:27 AM »
Very glad that you have improved. Good news indeed

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
Thats great to hear :)