Author Topic: Chana Dhal  (Read 5944 times)

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
Chana Dhal
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
I like this one and cook it a lot,  either on its own, with rice or really spicy vegetables.

8 oz chana dal or yellow split peas, picked over, washed and drained
2 pints water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 thin slices unpeeled ginger (I guess you can substitute ginger powder but not sure how much)
2/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
chilli powder to taste (depending on what I'm eating it with I use 1/8 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon)

Put the dhal in a heavy pot with the water, bring to a boiler and remove any surface scum.  Add the turmeric and ginger, cover, leaving the lid just very slightly ajar, turn heat to low and simmer gently till the dhal is tender and all the water has gone, stir every 5 minutes or so during the last part of cooking to prevent sticking, add the salt and garam masala, stir to mix.

Heat the ghee or oil in a small frying pan over a medium flame, when hot put in the cumin seeds and a couple fo seconds later the garlic, stir and fry till the garlic is lightly browned, put the chilli powder into the pan then immediately lift the pan off the heat and pour it all into the the pot with the dhal, stir to mix.

That does look very complicated typed up but its really easy  :)
Certain things catch your eye, but pursue only those that capture your heart.

cornish

• Karma Group
Re: Chana Dhal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
tried to attempt buying the ingredients for this earlier but i failed badly, i really dont deal well with crowded places and though waitress would be quiet at this sort of time, oh how wrong was i.  :(

really disappointed with my self and i really want to try this :(
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
thats a shame cornish,  perhaps try again one day when you feel more up to it :)

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 03:38:30 PM »
i was feeling up to it, was feeling like i could do anything today, might have been something to do with abusing my diazepam a bit.  i dont mean taking way too much in a dangerious way, just a higher dosage that i used to be on as i really needed it this morning to just get up n go.
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 03:43:55 PM »
I dont like crowded places either so do my grocery shopping on line,  had you thought of that at all?

cornish

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
no i hadnt, i will do it later though.    ahh no wait, i cant open the door at home. 

Zaf

• Banned
  • Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
hmmmm, I cant think of anything else apart from finding a small shop open 24/7 and going when it ought to be really quiet