Author Topic: What do you remember?  (Read 16751 times)

turquoise

• Karma Group
Re: What do you remember?
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
We had two outdoor swimming pools near me one was a sea water pool as it was build right on the seafront and was freezing.  The other was a heated pool and it always seemed to rain their.  We used to go to stay at my aunts and she lived in a local town with the only indoor pool and on a sunday morning they put on the wave machine so there was the huge waves very exciting.  The only thing is I never ever was able to learn to swim cause I hate getting my face wet, a shower sometimes makes me panic if I get too much water on my face,  have to cover my face with my hands when rinsing hair.  I used to love going to pools with Dad and had a rubber ring and arm bands a bit of a belt and braces type of girl.  My problems got worse when I was about seve I was standing at pool waiting for dad to come out of changing room.  Mum was sitting in spectator bit after having put me into pool are.  Anyway this lout about 14 chucked me into pool at deep end.  the pool attendanct had to jump in and get me out.  By this time mum had jumped over barrier from spectators bit and had the lout and his dad both by back of necks banging their heads together.  They were banned mum was sent back to spectator area and dad came along going whats happening lol he missed it all.  I had to be taken to get and ice cream drink to cheer me up .

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »
Oh bless poor you. S x x x x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
Coal being delivered by the coal man who had a horse & cart.  My parents house was heated by coal fires until they could afford to get central heating in and I remember stroking his horse as I love horses.  It was the highlight of my week  =+- .... I was easy to please as a child  "!+

Catbrian

« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:48 PM »
Pip brought memories flooding back of the ''rag-man''.  Arriving with a couple of horses pulling a very large trailer, piled high with rags, blowing his bugle and shouting ''any old rags''.  In my early childhood, I was brought up in the infamous Easterhouse in Glasgow.  I can assure you, the only rags we possessed were the ones on our backs!!

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
Gosh, yes I remember the Rag and Bone man, not horses though just an old open truck, also remember the coalman, and of course the sweep who I was always terrified of because he was so grubby. Didn't have a boy to send up the chimney though, i'm not that old!

Catbrian

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »
Yes, I remember the coal man.... horse drawn, though.  Later in life, we then got the 'ginger man'.  In Glasgow a bottle of fizzy drink, like iron bru or orange.... didn't matter what flavour it is... we call it ginger.

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
I remember  as quite a young child the cigarette man coming. Not sure how it all worked but I know we had some kind of posh container for the ciggies. May be it worked out cheaper for the parents that way. Can still see that (sort of a gold bin I think) on top of the sideboard. And i also remember the Pop man, cream soda was my favorite. You used to get back pennies for the empties.

I.B Igor

• Karma Group
  • a good soul is one that has suffered,and is kind.
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »

I can remember scurrying around the coal shed, looking for empty bottles to take back to the 'Offie  to get the money back for school trips, if yo hid enough you ended up with quite a haul.
A good soul is one that has suffered , and is kind.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2012, 08:39:52 PM »
Lol I also remember the Corona man.

S x x x x
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Michael Frankum

• Karma Group
  • Rest in peace 27th Noverber 2012
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
One of the oddest things I remember is that my Grand-dad convinced me to sit on the loo facing the wall. He told me that that was the way cowboys did it! I've got photos of me wearing a cowboy hat (Not on the loo), so I suppose I was willing to do anything to be like the real cowboys. I remember cowboys names, but I'm not sure which TV series they came from Bronco Laine or Lane, and Cheyenne Bodie or Brody. Do these names ring any bells with anybody? Black and White TV, of course. I sort of remember the theme tune to Bronco Laine, so I suppose he must have had his own series.

athens1982

• Karma Group
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
My Mum, now in her 80's always loved all the cowboy series and films but I dont remember that one. I would ask her but she will have forgotton bless. I remember Bonanza but think that was in colour so prob in the 70's. Followed by the High Chaperal. In those days you sat down as a familly to watch the box. Now I usually have one son on the X box, one on lap-top and poss me watching telly if I can find anything interesting. Usually end up reading  or listening to music.