Author Topic: July is expensive every year!  (Read 8048 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
July is expensive every year!
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
In the last week I've spent £63 on my annual SCBWI membership and another £89 for Patrick's insurance for another year but they are both sooo worth it to me.  Why did I choose to initially buy both in July though?  lol  I obviously just wasn't thinking lol

Patrick has been insured for 5 years now and this is my 8th year as a Scooby so that's a lorra lorra cash but soo worth it I reckon.  They are my only annual bills so I just need to cover the weekly groceries and monthly bills for the rest of the year now, but that's OK, I've got enough to cover them with my ESA payments.

The puppy has just gone to the vet so that's another payment to come out so that I can pay Marie back via Steve but that's OK I can just about afford it as long as it doesn't cost hundreds... she's only going for a senior puppy check-up to see how she's doing now that she's finished her steroids.

I'll hopefully be able to put some money into my savings starting next month lol
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
Re: July is expensive every year!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:55:07 PM »
£142 for Mitzi's vet visit, but most of that (£85) was for a blood test.  She's back on the steroids again, but this time for her neck and legs instead of her back.

I've moved the money over for Steve to pay Marie back and used the money out of his car fund.  I'll replace it when I get my compensation from Barclaycard as well as pay for Steve's sight test and new glasses out of it too.  So much for me not paying for anything, eh?

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:08:09 PM »
Daft question, why does Steve have to pay for a sight test?

We don't have to pay for ours as we are on benefits.  We went a few days ago and we both need new glasses and chose not to pay extra for reactor glasses.  I know my eyes are getting worse for reading just to cheer me up.

Two years ago, after we got Cassie, we decided to use Vets4Pets and they are really good.  All the staff love her to the point that we were told that Cassie would be welcomed every time we took any of the other pets.  Well, to be honest, they love all our pets and will be getting another two on their books.  We forgot to get our youngest two (they are sisters) spayed and one had four kittens six weeks ago.  They are all adorable - one is black and going to friends after the weekend, one is ginger and is going to another friend on the same day and the other two look like grey Persian kittens.  The couple who are having the black kitten are as bad as us, when we first got to know them they had three cats, all had been strays, called Big Cat who is enormous, Grey Cat and Thomas.  Thomas was adorable despite looking as if he had been in Belsen - he was that thin - and looked like he had had a stroke.  He died last year and a few months later the lady whom were got our ginger cat from had another litter - mum has been spayed now - so they asked if they could have one so we decided to have one of the kittens as well.    Turned out to be a big mistake as they fell in love with two kittens and we couldn't leave one on her own so we took the other two.  Recently the dad of the lady we got the kittens from came round to the shop about a week ago with a kitten that had been dumped at his place of work.  Nobody got a look in as the couple immediately wanted him.

The other friend lost one of his cats in an unfortunate situation, he had split from from his girlfriend who left her dog with him as she had moved into a small one bedroomed flat.  The dog is a German Shepherd, Akita cross and is very boisterous. I am not sure of all the facts but the cat and dog ended up fighting and the cat died soon after.  The dog went into a shelter as he is fine with people and children.   

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
Not a daft question at all!  The only benefit he's getting is carer's allowance for me so he's not getting any of the qualifying benefits.  I get ESA so get free tests and lenses, just have to pay for the frames, but because Steve doesn't get a qualifying benefits, despite being unemployed (and not looking for a job either grrr) he has to pay.  Via me.  As always.

Steve decided to use the vet and nothing I could say would change his mind because there are family connections, so I get to pay through the nose for that too, but Steve gets the credit for paying because he knows his sisters bank account details and I don't!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
Stupid rules in this country.  Rick claims ESA support group for both of us and we got at least one other benefit attached to that as we are both carers for each other.  We both get PIP and Motability so that's why I get free eye tests as well as Rick.  We had our eye tests last week and are waiting for our new glasses.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
I get free eye tests and lenses, just not frames because I've been disabled for getting on for 20 years and claiming IB/ESA that entire time.  Apparently I don't need to be re-assessed for ESA any more now which is a huuuuuge relief.  Still gotta be reassessed for PIP every year though, unfortunately.  Currently got my PIP renewal going through, so I'm hoping I get it re-awarded without having to go to a tribunal this time!