Author Topic: Studying has really helped  (Read 5206 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Studying has really helped
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
I came off the Citalopram a few months ago and other than a few uncontrollable bursts of anger I've been fine.

What has really helped in the last 4 days though has been studying some free OpenLearn courses from the Open University.

I've managed to study 6 OpenLearn courses in 4 days, instead of the 20 weeks it said they would take... 3 today alone!

Not only has it given me something to concentrate on, I'm learning loads of stuff and getting statements of participation, certificates and badges and means that I haven't had to worry about how I'm feeling. 

Got stressed out about the note taking bit on one of todays courses 'cos I haven't done that for well over a decade and forgot to reference the theorists as well as quoting directly from the source instead of using my own words but other than that I got pretty good marks for the assessments and I've got 13 pages of introductory courses I want to take so that should keep me going for a few weeks, then I can move on to the intermediate then the advanced courses.

They are all free and it keeps me out of trouble and my brain ticking over... hopefully it'll help to improve my memory soon too!

If you can spare a minimum of 3 hours a week (as opposed to 18 hours a day lol) and you fancy giving it a try too, just use your favourite search engine to search for OpenLearn and choose the course of your choice et voila!  You can, if I remember rightly, do the courses without having an OpenLearn account, but you don't get the badge/statement/certificate unless you do... it's totally free and there are several hundred courses available so it's definitely worth a look!

I recommend starting at the introductory/level 1 courses first, even if you've already got a degree, just so that you can try out the courses and there's no limit to how many you can take or how long you study them for or how long it takes you... just dip in and carry on from where you left off!  The second course I studied, I started back in 2010 or 2012 or something and it was still there for me to carry on with!

They don't give you any OU credits or anything like that... you need to do a module or Access course or whatever to do that, but for a freebie, you get oneheckuva lot of information to study and learn!

Go on, just give one of the short introductory courses a try... they take less than a day to do and they are totally free as well as giving you at least a statement of participation and the opportunity to learn or improve something totally new to you!

If Pip approves, I can send the URL to the OpenLearn site if you're interested?

Give it a try... they will potentially be the best hours you've spent online!
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Studying has really helped
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »
I've signed up for an OpenLearn account  :happy0158:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
I've signed up for an OpenLearn account  :happy0158:

You won't regret it, Pip... there are over 900 courses to choose from and it's all free   :happy0158:

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:08:28 PM »
I've almost come to the end of my intermediate/Level 2 courses now.  Two left to study tomorrow then mess around with some html so that the intermediate statements get their own page on my site then it's up to advanced/Level 3 courses next week!!   :happy0064:

If you'd told me 6 weeks ago that I would be getting ready to study at Level 3 there's no way I'd have believed you!  Truth is though, as long as I avoid courses with exams because of my brain damage I'll be fine!  There's a Level 1 child psychology course that I want to try that doesn't have an exam or residential school and I loved doing the OpenLearn child psychology course, so as long as I'm re-awarded ESA in November, I'll be saving up to take that course in September 2019!

This really is happening!  I've always thought I was too thick to study at University, but secretly dreamed of getting a degree from the Open University... never thought it would happen though.  I'm seriously starting to think that as long as I avoid maths and science courses I can at least give it a try!

I can so do this!!   :happy0158: