Author Topic: The last 24 hours  (Read 5030 times)

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
The last 24 hours
« on: August 05, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
The only things that have passed my lips since I went to bed last night is a litre of flavoured water, 3 supplements, 5 mouthfuls of squash, 3 garlic mushrooms, 2 onion rings and a couple of strands of coleslaw.

That's it.

Nothing else.

Got a can of ginger beer to reduce the nausea from the coleslaw and a bottle of cold, peach flavoured tea and I'm not going to be able to take me prescription this evening, thanks to the nausea.

Next time we go to Yummies I'll have a portion of garlic mushrooms, a portion of onion rings and that's it 'cos Steve had more of me tea than I did 'cos it wasn't suitable for vegetarians with a dairy allergy  😞

I want to eat more home-cooked stuff 'cos I've got more control over the ingredients but it's dangerous for me to cook because of my unsteadiness and brain damage, so I'm totally reliant on Steve doing the cooking but his depression means that it's rare that he can motivate himself to cook so we have take aways for every meal instead of stuff cooked here at home.  Chinese last night, burger tonight, pizza on Friday, Chinese again on Thursday, burgers on Wednesday... over £100 a week on take aways that could be better spent on stuff from the supermarket and cooked here.

Steve's got depression too, which is why we haven't had a home-cooked meal for the last 3 weeks and I want to support him, but I also want to eat fer flip's sake!

Sooooo, how can I support Steve but also motivate him to cook at home instead of relying on take-aways?  We've got a freezer full of food and pasta coming out of our ears, Quorn mince, curry sauce, rice, pasta sauce, pasta bake sauce... the only thing we haven't got any of is vegetables (either fresh or frozen) but that's a minor point.

I want to eat here and feel well because I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients like I am with so many take-aways!

Any ideas of how I can encourage and support Steve to make more meals at home... even one meal a week would be a huge improvement on the last 3 weeks of daily take-aways!  Yep, totally serious.  I can't even remember what the last meal was because it was so long ago!!   :o
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: The last 24 hours
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
You could suggest that you prepare a meal together, Rick and I used to do that regular.  Or keep a week's worth of take-away cartons, boxes etc and tell him that you can cook at home far more cheaply. 

It is easy to fall into that trap and hard to get out of it when you're depressed.  We have been through that then I stop eating altogether which isn't healthy.  I cooked a chicken roast today and ended up only eating the veg.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:55 AM »
I'm more than happy to help prepare the meal, but because of my unsteadiness on my feet I can't bend down to put anything in or take anything out of the oven without falling over and being unable to get back up and even if I managed to do that there's still the brain damage which causes severe memory issues so I'd forget there was anything in the oven, it'd burn then burst into flames and burn the house down   :-[  Yup, totally serious   :-[

I'm more than happy to help, but the only time Steve gets out of his chair is to go to the bathroom.  Yup, serious about that too.

I want to help him with the food, but I just don't know how to encourage him to get started on it is all... it's fine when he's started cooking the food, I just don't know how to encourage him to get out of his chair and make that first move   :-\

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:24:45 PM »
We had hash browns for lunch - proper cooked at home ones that I demolished within seconds!!!  Yaaaaay!!!