Author Topic: im new to this  (Read 5298 times)

milkyjoe

• Karma Group
im new to this
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
hi everyone,

im a constant worrier, mainly about my own health. I manage to convince myself i have a terminal illness and my brain will then do its best to manifest the symptoms. the biggest problem i have is everytime i go through this it leaves me with insomnia and severe panic attacks with depression.

I have been on 20mg of citalopram for about 3 years now. my doc raised it to 40mg as im struggling now. I dont feel any different other than i get more twitchy and my anxiety level is raised. does the higher level of citalopram kick in straight away or have i got to wait?. The only way at the moment to get some sleep is to drink alcohol which i know isnt the best thing to do. im hoping u guys could give me some words of wisdom as i dont see this situation ever improving.

could citalopram just not be working?

thanks for reading my problem

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: im new to this
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Joe!  Could you introduce yourself in the new members part of the forum so that we can get to know you better?

I'm on 40mg of Citalopram too but I don't know how to answer your question.  Sorry!  Could you maybe ask your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist because meds are their speciality.   :happy0158:
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Greys0n

• Karma Group
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:16:45 AM »
I was on 20mg, I have been taking it for nearly 5 weeks. Last time I was on Citalopram about 3 months and not even thinking about anything but just thinking "why am I taking medication again? I told it to my GP and he prescribed me thynamax, if you are interested you can read more about these pills here http://rxed.eu/en/t/Thymanax/ . In 2 weeks I saw positive effects.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:22 PM »
Nothing wrong with Agomelatine but the brand that seems to be selling is Valdoxan. Just to save your GP the time looking it up if you take it Agomelatine or Valdoxan might be more familiar to them.
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
I was taking Citalopram 20 mg then 40 mg for some time but it did stop working for me.  Now I'm taking Sertraline which has been raised from 50 mg to 100 mg and 150 mg over the past two years.  My mood has been up and down been I am fortunate that I have a good support network.