Author Topic: ****Update - Caution****  (Read 12191 times)

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
****Update - Caution****
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:39:21 AM »
For those those are not familiar with fake scam calls from people claming to be calling from Microsoft or Windows, DO NOT do as they ask, they will ask you to go into your computers settings and make changes.

They may sound genuine insisting your computer is infected in some way, but they are fake, I had a call from them and I asked when the last issue was detected on my system, oh yesterday they said, hmmm my computer was not on line, it was not even turned on as it was being updated.

I told them this, they hang up,
Other times I tell them I’m an I.T. tech, they hang up.

the same people  (or another outfit) now suposedly calling from BT, I just told them to ring back later as i was i bed
in the meantime i rang BT and they told me they hadent rang me since i had a fault on the line - when they rang back i told them this, guess what, they hang up.

What you tell them is up to you, but for your security, do not do what they ask, if in doubt pm Rick, Pip, or Me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:16:39 PM by stewart »
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: ****Caution****
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:59:18 AM »
Thank you Stewart.

These people sound official - we've occasionally received similar phone calls - and somebody we knew fell for it in 2011.  He let them have access to his laptop and "surprise, surprise" they "found and fixed the problem".  There probably wasn't a problem in the first place but he told us after he had already paid money - £300 a time - to them on a couple of occasions.  Fortunately when they called on one occasion Rick and I were there so Rick told them not to ring again as he was sorting out this person's laptop.

If you get a phone call like this just tell them you can sort out the problem or you already have an IT tech who deals with any problems.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
Yup, we've had that call 3 times so far. 

The first time I faked what they told me to do and burst into fake tears which totally freaked out the man on the other end who had called me. 

The second time I just quietly laid the phone on the floor and carried on with what I was doing for 15 minutes.  When I eventually picked up the phone it was just silence so I hung up.

The third time Steve answered the call and said that he was a computer programmer with decades of experience with computers which made the poor man stutter and stumble over his words so much that he apologised for the interruption and hung up.

If you want to run up their phone bill just think of a way to flummox them now in preparation for the call!  lol
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
has anyone niticed these fake callers and ones with 'special' offers always, in more than a lot of the time call at the time you are having dinner?

had one the other day and i just outright told him'whatever your selling, i dont need it'

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: ****Update - Caution****
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:46:10 PM »
Another sacm hitting the internet Email,
suposedly from Bill Gates and his misses, giving away money
at the moment they are just asking name, address and phone number, but i recon soon that would be followed
by a phone call wanting bank info

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
I haven't had that one yet but I am getting sick of getting spam emails generally.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
they are doing the rounds again. Microsoft / Windows and BT. same ol bulldust lines, cant they take a hint?

one yesterday trying to tell me i had a car accident, or i had been in a car that had ben ivvolved in even a minor accident, just wouldnt take it that i hadent

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Steve had the car accident one and he said that he was decapitated because of the accident!  lol
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.