Author Topic: Just a quick hello...  (Read 3775 times)

little_debs

Just a quick hello...
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »
Hi I'm Debbie. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for the last 12 years (I'm 25).
I've gone through stages where I seek help from doctors etc and periods where I just hit self destruct and take all manner of recreational drugs to cope and be able to do "normal" stuff.
2 years ago I stopped all that and started taking fluoxetine again and shortly after met my partner. I felt really good and last year decided to reduce my meds and then stop them completely.
Then the worst thing happened, my 2 year old niece passed away.
I made the decision to continue reducing my medication as I didn't want to dull the emotions I was feeling, they were real and appropriate to what was going on. There was a lot of other stuff going on in the background, too much to go into.
After a turbulent year my partner begged me to go back to the doctors, I was destroying our relationship with my my behaviour. I was started on citalopram for 6 months and then that stopped working and I'm in the process of changing to mirtazipine.
So that's my story in a nutshell...

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
Re: Just a quick hello...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Debbie!  I've read your introduction and I care, I just don't know what to say to help other than  :hug: if you want it?
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

Sweetpea

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. I personally think you have done the right thing in going back to your Dr.  Its ok to take the meds that you need, I have been on Duloxetine for several years.  Has your dr said anything about counselling? It may be worth thinking of, as this could alsohelp you with the loss of your niece.  :hug: for you.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 12:09:12 AM »
Hello Debbie,

It is heartbreaking when a child dies so not surprising it has affected you.  Counselling, assuggested, could help and worth pursuing.

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 02:13:28 PM »
Hi Debbie
welcome to the forums, you can be sure there will be people here who can offer help or advice

as for the medication, don't reduce the dosage without talking to your doc first, sometimes a chance in meds will help.

I hope you find the forum helpful, sometimes getting things off your chest is a big help
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

rjs

• Karma Group
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:21:12 PM »
Hi Debbie,

Welcome. I hope you find something of use here in the forums, whether that's reassurance, advice or you simply want to vent your frustration. People here will listen and offer helpful advice. That said, there's no substitute for your own GP, psychiatrist or whatever other care team you have in place. By all means get info from here and use it to question your care team to find out if you're getting the best treatment you can.  People have probably tried the medications your on. Some will have experienced the same side effects, others will experience different symptoms. There's no right or wrong, other than what feels right for you and that might take a bit of time and some experimentation on the part of the care team.

On a personal note, I've been on citalopram, fluoxetine, mirtazapine and several others including combinations for major depressive disorder, generalised anxiety disorder and neuropathic pain. I'm currently taking a combination of duloxetine and pregabalin with mixed results. In a rambling way I'm trying to say that whatever symptoms and experiences you are having, you are not weird or a freak or unique. You are not alone, so please share and use the forums to help yourself, and, in turn, your experiences might help others too. Once again, welcome