Author Topic: Duloxetine  (Read 4309 times)

Emma_Mc

Duloxetine
« on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi everyone, i've just recently started on Duloxetine as a last option as i've tried many ADS, i was wondering if anyone is on this med, how are you getting on on it? are there any bad side affect when the dose gets increased? no-one i know has even heard of this drug nevermind tried it so im a bit wary as i dont know much about it, all advice/reviews on it welcome good or bad, mucho luv x

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Duloxetine
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »
I am hoping that another member, SteveW, will respond to you soon as he knows quite a bit of different types of drugs.

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:56:07 PM »
Hi everyone, i've just recently started on Duloxetine as a last option as i've tried many ADS, i was wondering if anyone is on this med, how are you getting on on it? are there any bad side affect when the dose gets increased? no-one i know has even heard of this drug nevermind tried it so im a bit wary as i dont know much about it, all advice/reviews on it welcome good or bad, mucho luv x

I've heard of it but never taken it... Steve W should be able to hopefully help you though  :)
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

SteveW

• Karma Group
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:44:33 PM »
Duloxetine has been on the market for 10-11 years now. It is classified as an SNRI, a serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor though it has some effect on Dopamine as well. It is a cousin to the more well known Venlafaxine. It has a few complexities in that it has multiple uses, major depressive disorder, general anxiety disorder, urinary incontinence, neuropathic pain, and fibromyalgia among them.

In stress urinary incontinence there is a split between UK and USA. It is approved here but the USA FDA declined to approve it because they had concerns about it causing possible liver damage and a possible link to increased suicide rates. A 2012 review here did not recommend it as a first line antidepressant. Part of the reasoning was that it was expensive but its patent has now expired and there should be cheaper generic versions available now or soon. That may change people's attitudes towards it a little.

As an antidepressant it doesn't stand out. About 3 years ago a review of its efficacy found it was no more effective than the SSRI's, the Prozac group, and had a worse side effect profile and tolerability. The major side effects are these but
there are more.

Nausea 34.7%,
Dry mouth 22.7%,
Headache 20.0% 
Dizziness 18.7%

Duloxetine has a withdrawal syndrome, which not everyone gets. I think its withdrawal is not nearly as difficult as its cousin Venlafaxine.

I wouldn't personally take Duloxetine. If I was looking for an SNRI I would go for Venlafaxine which I think is more effective. But if you have tried lots of antidepressants and got nowhere it might be worth a try. I would think very carefully about whether Duloxetine is the last resort. Have you tried combinations of two drugs and augmentation with things like Lithium, Lamotrigine, Thyroid Hormone,etc.

I am not sure what else to tell you. If there is something else you want to know, just ask.

Love

Steve
Sometimes the light is shining on me
Other times I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange, trip it's been

Emma_Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:28:42 PM »
Thanx Steve that really explains a lot, im suffering with all the side effects you mentioned :( the dizziness is awful, i dont know why the doc chose that for me and not the Ven? Think i would have prefered that, since starting it my anxiety has went through the roofs and panic attacks galore so im gonna give it 2 more weeks(til the end of my pack) and if theres still no difference im gonna have to ask about other options, maybe a wee combo like you said. x