Author Topic: Hello from the new newest newbie  (Read 3942 times)

roger.s

Hello from the new newest newbie
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:25:40 AM »
Hello

Apologies to Amanda_George who had claimed to be the newest newbie, I'm the new newest newbie but don't know how long for  ;D

A brief intro .....

I've recently been given a diagnosis of dysthymia, the onset of which was at least 30 years ago, perhaps more like 50 (I'm in my mid 50s), although I considered my low moods etc to be "normal", not knowing any different. I've been an IT guy since leaving school, but continual stress (partly through being pushed away from technical towards management which isn't really me)  is probably what caused what is perhaps best described as a crash a few years ago that ended with me losing my job. My confidence & self esteem had plummeted and are still pretty low. A period of doing virtually nothing for a while eventually led me to seek help; problems with my GP saw me asking my local MIND branch for help, since then I've been having therapy for around 2 years. I'm now working again, albeit in a totally different job than before and for a lot less money .... I see this as a step on the recovery road, although I can't say that I know where that road is going, or even where I would like it to be heading, but I do know that this is perhaps the happiest I've ever been in work.

I still avoid my GP, knowing how low my last 2 visits left me. The closest I get currently is putting a repeat prescription through the letterbox for collection from pharmacy. The next 2 nearest surgeries are all part of the same group which makes me reluctant to change to a different practice. At least I found another route to help through MIND.

I come to this forum having been a member for several years on another forum which closed last year, I've seen a couple of familiar user names on here. I found that forum helped a lot at times and hope to get the same here and also to reciprocate and offer whatever help I'm able to others. Bear with me, it may be a while before I say much; I lurked on the other forum for a long time before getting beyond a hello posting, but the positive support experienced there may help me to contribute here a lot sooner.

Roger

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
Re: Hello from the new newest newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 02:02:24 PM »
Hi Roger, welcome to the forums.
if yofind your current doc hard to deal with, best ting s to ask to see another doc.
maybe a change in meds could help.
MIND is a good place, i have been with them for a while now, great support worker.
Without Love we are just a handfull of chemicals suspended in water

Amanda_George

• Please be gentle with me!
  • Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
    • Amanda's ultimate navigation to all her webpages
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Roger!  Can I pick your brain as an IT guy please?  Feel free to say no if you don't want me to   ^-^
Money talks, chocolate sings!  :-D

May your life be as pleasant as you are.

roger.s

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »
Stewart - thanks, unfortunately I've been down that route without success. I also sent a letter ahead of appointment in an attempt to explain why I was there (a suggestion from someone on the other forum, seemed a good idea). The envelope stated for his attention in preparation for appointment, he hadn't seen it, scanned through it while I was there and simply gave me a repeat prescription and said goodbye. The only good thing was that I'd managed to see a different doc which is more than happened on a previous attempt when I made an appointment with a different doc and ended up seeing one I'd had issues with before (talking over me when I was trying to ask about meds he was prescribing, never did get my question asked let alone answered).

Amanda_George - send me a PM. Not sure how useful my brain is  ;) but let's give it a try

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »
Thank you so much, Roger!

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:55 AM »
Welcome Roger  :bye:

Amanda, if Roger can't help, my husband might be able to.

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »
Thank you so much, Pip!

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:30:59 PM »
is it a hardware or software prob ya have there?

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:52:55 PM »
No idea Stewart!  Maybe a bit of both?  I want to speed up my laptop without doing a defrag?

stewart

• Global Moderator
    • Lady Lynne
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
Hi Amanda, a good place to start is by running defrag - also download (if you dont already have it) Spybot search & destroy. the free version works fine, and all it does is scan your system for spywear etc that can slow down your system. and Avast have a good free anti virus,
hope this helps
stew

Amanda_George

• Administrator
  • "Auntie Banana"
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:32:52 PM »
Thank you Stew!  I've got Malware Bytes and AVG running in the background and I'm not willing to close either of those no matter how slowly my laptop runs  :)