Author Topic: To go back on medication or not?  (Read 3225 times)

EmLou210

• Karma Group
To go back on medication or not?
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
Hi Everyone

So I started taking 20mg Fluoxetine just over 2 years ago now. I was on the medication for about a year. I started to feel better so was gradually taken off them.

However, over the last few months things have got worse. I feel very low and de-motivated a lot of the time and can't stop the negative thoughts and what I call "crying fits"

I had hoped that I wouldn't have to go back onto the medication but am starting to wonder whether I should consider going back to the GP to talk about it if I continue to feel like this.

I don't really have many people if anyone to talk to about his who I feel really understands, so I just thought I'd put a post on here and see if people generally agreed with what I'm thinking?

Thanks Everyone

MamaLou

Re: To go back on medication or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:20:24 PM »
I would definitely consider medication and a trip to your gp as a positive step.  You don't want to go really downhill if you can prevent it

Louise x

Pip

• Administrator
  • Super Hero
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:46 PM »
Yes it is a good idea to see your GP as it will be better in long term getting advice even if it does means going back on medications.  My last doctor got me off medication, my mood went downhill so my new doctor has got me back on medication.  It's certainly helped although I may need to get my meds (I'm on other medication) tweaked.  The only reason I haven't yet is because I've had cellulitis in my right leg for four weeks so that hasn't helped my mood.  It will be better for you to be on medication and your mood better than to suffer in silence.

Grace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »
I've been living with depression for the last 16 years, but my first episode goes back to when I was seventeen.  I did not have a clear idea of what depression was at that time and I think that if I had continued to be treated properly I perhaps wouldn't have suffered in silence.
So just go ahead .... I would say it does not matter if you need the medication to fuction properly and I sincerely hope you will find the right professionals to help you!
Gemma